or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › All Things Hippity and Hoppity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All Things Hippity and Hoppity - Page 72

post #1066 of 1311

Fantastic track. Bay area rap is in a good place these days.
post #1067 of 1311
http://rapradar.com/2012/02/19/rick-ross-1-hottest-mc-in-the-game/
*rawse grunt*
post #1068 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeirpont View Post

http://rapradar.com/2012/02/19/rick-ross-1-hottest-mc-in-the-game/
*rawse grunt*

Why would I care about any of these people's opinions?
post #1069 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post

Why would I care about any of these people's opinions?
Cause in this case they are correct and if you disagreed you'd be wrong. Then again I didn't actually watch the video, cause I don't actually care what they have to say.
post #1070 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeirpont View Post

Cause in this case they are correct and if you disagreed you'd be wrong. Then again I didn't actually watch the video, cause I don't actually care what they have to say.

... you know Drake got the number 2 spot, right? And no one on the panel said anything that didn't amount to some platitude. I think the closest thing to a citation was that "so many sunglasses people think I got a lazy eye" line or whatever. Sadly, it's not that impressive especially without more context. Also, there are a million MCs out there that are doing more interesting things than the one's they've listed. "Hottest MC in the Game" is more like "Hottest MC on Clear Channel and MTV."
post #1071 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post

... you know Drake got the number 2 spot, right? And no one on the panel said anything that didn't amount to some platitude. I think the closest thing to a citation was that "so many sunglasses people think I got a lazy eye" line or whatever. Sadly, it's not that impressive especially without more context. Also, there are a million MCs out there that are doing more interesting things than the one's they've listed. "Hottest MC in the Game" is more like "Hottest MC on Clear Channel and MTV."

Yes, I knew he got second, obviously I disagree with that as I don't like Drake's music, well the 4-5 songs I've heard. But the #1 was correct by any standard, plus I like anything that says halt to the current, nerdying, hisptering and suburbering of rap.
post #1072 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeirpont View Post

Yes, I knew he got second, obviously I disagree with that as I don't like Drake's music, well the 4-5 songs I've heard. But the #1 was correct by any standard, plus I like anything that says halt to the current, nerdying, hisptering and suburbering of rap.

I don't care where hip hop is going as long as it's not lazy, like Rick Ross (If you need to tout some grimy street music as the last bastion of gangsta rap, please cite The Clipse). I can understand liking a certain facet of hip hop, but to me thinking it has to be "gangsta" or "tough" all the time really marginalizes the form. I'm not much for hipster culture, but the "hipster mc" is an identity that's capable of producing art that has merit amongst the hip hop community at large, see Das Racist. Shit, see De La Soul.

I don't think gangsta rap is the zenith of hip hop or something that is sacred. If Rick Ross being the most popular last of a dying breed is all you have to suggest he's "number 1" (something totally meaningless to any serious hip hop fan or music lover anyway) despite his lyrical ability, I'd say that's a really thin and shallow argument.
post #1073 of 1311

post #1074 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeirpont View Post

Yes, I knew he got second, obviously I disagree with that as I don't like Drake's music, well the 4-5 songs I've heard. But the #1 was correct by any standard, plus I like anything that says halt to the current, nerdying, hisptering and suburbering of rap.

Heh I'm a nerdy hipster who grew up in the suburbs. I love that shit.
post #1075 of 1311
Yaaayyy crap music.
post #1076 of 1311
Whoa.
post #1077 of 1311
love the big muff pi shirt. reggie watts is a legend, gambino has skills and is comin up. good shit.
post #1078 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennavate View Post

Fuck that guy. This review sums up how bad he is: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16074-camp/

pitchfork has beef with gambino because gambino shits on them all the time

dude's singing is gay as fuck but his one liners are best in the game
post #1079 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

pitchfork has beef with gambino because gambino shits on them all the time
dude's singing is gay as fuck but his one liners are best in the game

Where exactly has he "shit on them"? Pitchfork gave his album a shitty score because it's a shitty album. And he's a shitty rapper. Simple as that.
post #1080 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennavate View Post

Where exactly has he "shit on them"? Pitchfork gave his album a shitty score because it's a shitty album. And he's a shitty rapper. Simple as that.

I'm interested. Why don't you like him? I don't think he's the greatest but I wouldn't call him shitty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › All Things Hippity and Hoppity