Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- most versatile shoe? Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:37pm in Classic Menswear
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy Last post on Today at 6:30 am in Classic Menswear
- Gucci Chelsea Boots - sz 44 Last post on 11/17/11 at 10:27am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Yesterday at 8:17 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 251post #3751 of 45806/23/14 at 10:43pmpost #3752 of 45806/24/14 at 3:06ampost #3753 of 45806/24/14 at 10:31amQuote:
Get the Dynamic Flex boots.Quote:
No. Dynamic Flex is the answer here.Quote:Originally Posted by Emile
After many many weeks reading this forum, today I recieved my first pair of RM Williams Boots! MTO Blaxland (Craftsman with rubber sole) in Rum Yearling.
I have a couple of questions about their appearance though:
1. If anyone else has Rum is this mottled appearance normal for Rum?
2. Is it usual for boots to arrive with a few scuffs and scratches around the elastic ankle stitching? Am I being too particular? Will these just buff out?
Thank you for you help.
These are beautiful. I may have to MTO a pair of Dynamic Flax in this color if it's doable.post #3754 of 45806/25/14 at 4:07pmpost #3755 of 45806/26/14 at 12:07amQuote:
I'd probably just use mid brown cream (I prefer cream to polish). Will help to cover scuffs and give the leather a bit of a drink at the same time.post #3756 of 45806/28/14 at 7:58pm
I have just received a paid of comfort craftsmen for my birthday. They're in a distressed leather in the colour 'driftwood'. I was just wondering what I should do to care for these? The leather is a little suede like so I'm not sure if i should condition them, or just keep them clean.
Thanks.post #3757 of 45806/28/14 at 9:43pmpost #3758 of 45806/28/14 at 11:40pmQuote:
They call it 'full grain distressed leather' I assume it's similar to nubuck, but, don't know enough about leather to be 100% sure. I'm unable to post picture of my shoes right now, but, these boots are made from exactly the same leather:post #3759 of 45806/29/14 at 5:29ampost #3760 of 45806/29/14 at 6:46amNubuck and distressed are completely different things. Nubuck is always cheap leather with the top grain sanded off. Distressed leather is just a special way of tanning the leather that lends a somewhat uneven and mottled appearance, but is still has the top grain intact. Those are not nubuck, they are distressed. Rmw does not sell any nubuck as far as I know.
As for conditioning, I would just use their saddle dressing, but be aware that that will change the finish somewhat, and make them look less distressed and smoother. I am not sure what would be best if you do not want to change the finish at all though.post #3761 of 45806/30/14 at 8:31am
Why would it always be cheap leather? If you use a shit leather, you're still going to get loose grain creasing and ugly creasing and it will be obvious that it's bad quality leather. Regardless, you can distress a leather post-tanning by immersing it in water, stretching and contorting the leather, etc. Perhaps you meant that RMW's distressed leather is achieved by tanning?post #3762 of 45806/30/14 at 9:54amJust to be clear I stated that nubuck was made from cheap leather, not the distressed leathers. Cheap does not neccessaringly mean loose grain, they just use scarred parts of hide that are unsuitable for full-grain leather and sand off the top to remove these imperfections. It would be much more expensive and somewhat wasteful to make nubuck out of nice hides. Same goes for the cheap corrected grain shoes.
As for the distressing, that one looks like it is done in tanning, that said I'm no expert in leather tanning. But I beleive usually when companies distress with water they do it after the shoe is lasted and it gives the shoes a creased, beat up look. On the other hand many leathers are "distressed" (not true distressing like what is done with the water) by special oils in tanning which leaves the leather with a mottled appearance. It is my understanding that leathers like red wings "copper rough and tough" are done this way. Which has a similar mottled finish with a bit of a nep, like the Rmw's above.post #3763 of 45807/3/14 at 11:44pmpost #3764 of 45807/4/14 at 12:18ampost #3765 of 45807/4/14 at 3:50am
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 17 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 19 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 22 minutes ago
- › New Company Looking For Agents/Stylists: Sartoria Sapone Co., Ltd. 23 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 23 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 23th of September 2016 - 'The Great Outdoors' 24 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 25 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...