Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- most versatile shoe? Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:37pm in Classic Menswear
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy Last post on Yesterday at 9:23 pm in Classic Menswear
- Gucci Chelsea Boots - sz 44 Last post on 11/17/11 at 10:27am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) Last post on Today at 9:52 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 251post #3751 of 44066/23/14 at 10:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3752 of 44066/24/14 at 3:06ampost #3753 of 44066/24/14 at 10:31amQuote:
Get the Dynamic Flex boots.Quote:
No. Dynamic Flex is the answer here.Quote:Originally Posted by Emile
After many many weeks reading this forum, today I recieved my first pair of RM Williams Boots! MTO Blaxland (Craftsman with rubber sole) in Rum Yearling.
I have a couple of questions about their appearance though:
1. If anyone else has Rum is this mottled appearance normal for Rum?
2. Is it usual for boots to arrive with a few scuffs and scratches around the elastic ankle stitching? Am I being too particular? Will these just buff out?
Thank you for you help.
These are beautiful. I may have to MTO a pair of Dynamic Flax in this color if it's doable.post #3754 of 44066/25/14 at 4:07pmpost #3755 of 44066/26/14 at 12:07amQuote:
I'd probably just use mid brown cream (I prefer cream to polish). Will help to cover scuffs and give the leather a bit of a drink at the same time.post #3756 of 44066/28/14 at 7:58pm
I have just received a paid of comfort craftsmen for my birthday. They're in a distressed leather in the colour 'driftwood'. I was just wondering what I should do to care for these? The leather is a little suede like so I'm not sure if i should condition them, or just keep them clean.
Thanks.post #3757 of 44066/28/14 at 9:43pmpost #3758 of 44066/28/14 at 11:40pmQuote:
They call it 'full grain distressed leather' I assume it's similar to nubuck, but, don't know enough about leather to be 100% sure. I'm unable to post picture of my shoes right now, but, these boots are made from exactly the same leather:post #3759 of 44066/29/14 at 5:29ampost #3760 of 44066/29/14 at 6:46amNubuck and distressed are completely different things. Nubuck is always cheap leather with the top grain sanded off. Distressed leather is just a special way of tanning the leather that lends a somewhat uneven and mottled appearance, but is still has the top grain intact. Those are not nubuck, they are distressed. Rmw does not sell any nubuck as far as I know.
As for conditioning, I would just use their saddle dressing, but be aware that that will change the finish somewhat, and make them look less distressed and smoother. I am not sure what would be best if you do not want to change the finish at all though.post #3761 of 44066/30/14 at 8:31am
Why would it always be cheap leather? If you use a shit leather, you're still going to get loose grain creasing and ugly creasing and it will be obvious that it's bad quality leather. Regardless, you can distress a leather post-tanning by immersing it in water, stretching and contorting the leather, etc. Perhaps you meant that RMW's distressed leather is achieved by tanning?post #3762 of 44066/30/14 at 9:54amJust to be clear I stated that nubuck was made from cheap leather, not the distressed leathers. Cheap does not neccessaringly mean loose grain, they just use scarred parts of hide that are unsuitable for full-grain leather and sand off the top to remove these imperfections. It would be much more expensive and somewhat wasteful to make nubuck out of nice hides. Same goes for the cheap corrected grain shoes.
As for the distressing, that one looks like it is done in tanning, that said I'm no expert in leather tanning. But I beleive usually when companies distress with water they do it after the shoe is lasted and it gives the shoes a creased, beat up look. On the other hand many leathers are "distressed" (not true distressing like what is done with the water) by special oils in tanning which leaves the leather with a mottled appearance. It is my understanding that leathers like red wings "copper rough and tough" are done this way. Which has a similar mottled finish with a bit of a nep, like the Rmw's above.post #3763 of 44067/3/14 at 11:44pmpost #3764 of 44067/4/14 at 12:18am
- RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › visvim Subsection Room Spray No. 05 / NEW BORN (also usable as... 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 7 minutes ago
- › EXTREMELY ADVANCED: official oversized/next level clothing thread 8 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › SuitSupply quality: Would you exchange this jacket? 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?