or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 230

post #3436 of 3908
I noticed that J. Crew is now carrying RM Williams.
post #3437 of 3908

fuckkkkkkk, time to buy all the RMs we want to own, ever, before the price jumps to 600 a boot. 

post #3438 of 3908
So $1,200 for a pair?
post #3439 of 3908
Is their site normally as fucked as it is at present? Can't see any prices, can't register, don't see anything even approximating Sator's original categorization of their inventory...
post #3440 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingaraveup View Post
 

fuckkkkkkk, time to buy all the RMs we want to own, ever, before the price jumps to 600 a boot. 

 

Sorry for not being updated on current events but why would the prices hike to the extent  that a pair of boots would go for 600 AUD?

post #3441 of 3908

Interesting reading the comment about custom made orthotics as I have the same issue. I have 2 pairs of boots from years ago, and then had to have orthotics made after messing up my arches running marathons. 

 

I am pleasantly surprised that ( simply ) removing the insert in the Dynamic Flex Craftsman leaves enough room for the orthotic yet preserves the fit of the boot over the foot, so I will try this when next able to go to an RMW shop.

 

How bad/compromised was it trying to juggle going up 1/2 or 1 size and tweaking the width selection?

post #3442 of 3908
I used Superfeet Black insoles in my DF Craftsmans and Superfeet Green in my Mallees.
post #3443 of 3908
I really want to like RMW but the outer lateral view of the boot just doesn't cut it. The inner side view, top view, back are all awesome, but that outer side just really lacks definition and refinement. It looks like a walmart comfort boot or something. There needs to be a sharper ridge or something running from the little toe area up to the ankle, and the instep needs to be lowered. Just my opinion.
post #3444 of 3908
Nonsense! RMW are some of the best wholecut boots for the price.
post #3445 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
 

 

Sorry for not being updated on current events but why would the prices hike to the extent  that a pair of boots would go for 600 AUD?

It wouldn't be that extreme, but JCrew has a way of making a niche item popular, and then causing demand to skyrocket, and then it gets more expensive. Example: Indy boots were ~300 in 2010, they are now close to 500. JCrew eats my favorite things alive. 

post #3446 of 3908

I have noticed that the quality of RM Williams boots seems to steadily be going down hill. They are without a doubt the most comfortable footwear I own besides running shoes. However the composite sole on the Comfort Craftsman seems to split from the welt after a very short period of time. I bought my first pair in 2010 and within 6 months the composite sole had already started to come away at the lip of the boot (front). Prior to that I had always worn the Blaxlands and never had any problem with them.

 

After my bad experience with the Comfort Craftsman I went off RMs for about 3 years until recently, when I purchased a pair of Comfort Craftsman in black to wear to work after my feet literally looked like pieces of meat after wearing a new pair of Loake oxford toe caps for 2 weeks. In terms of comfort, for semi-formal footwear nothing comes close, but after less than a month they are already falling apart and the thread is also coming away at the seam at the back of the boots, and like my previous pair the boots also make this silly squeaking sound when I walk, as if the sole is punctured and air is escaping.

 

I feel that the brand is now selling itself based on past glory while failing to maintain the quality, and in my opinion I might as well have flushed my money down the toilet. I still feel that RMW make the most best looking chelsea boots, but I no longer believe them to be good value for money if they start to fall apart after less than 1 month. the unfortunate thing is that I have ordered a pair of the RMW Allrounders with the treaded sole to wear to work once we start getting ice and snow. It was a custom order and they have already been dispatched so it is too late for me to cancel. I can only hope that they too do not start falling apart after less than 1 month. Next time I will be purchasing Ian Harold boots instead.

 

I must stress that I have been wearing RMs since 2005. The first pair I bought were the yard boots in chesnut, followed by two pairs of Blaxlands in tan and brown suede. I may be wrong but it appears that the problems may simply lie with the Comfort soled boots.

 

What on earth has happened to RM Williams?

post #3447 of 3908
Greetings,

I have been lurking for a while and a finally ready to invest in a pair of RM Williams, but I think I have the ultimate sizing challenge: my left and right feet differ in size by 2 to 2 1/2 US sizes.

For reference, when I tried a pair of Park Avenues, I was left foot 10.5D and right foot 8E, and I have a pair of Cliftons that I wear regularly which are 11D and 8D. This would my first pair of real chukkas, though I have a pair of cheap zip-up Timberlands that fit well at 9.5D/7.5D. I've also had a pair of Adidas trainers custom made, and my feet measured to L:276mm, R:244mm.

I am interested in the forum special or something comparably sleek, and my research through this thread lead to the following suggestions:

* Forum standard: 10.5D/8E
* Forum relaxed fit: 10.5E, 8F
* Forum snug fit: 10E, 7.5F

Obviously, this is going to have to be a custom order. I want as sleek a profile as possible while minimizing the risk that I will end up with something unwearable and thus unreturnable. I am located in Tokyo and cannot find anywhere to try the boots on in person.

Any suggestion about how to handle sizing and/or who to order through?

Thanks for the advice,

An aspiring RW WIlliams owner
post #3448 of 3908

I don't have any experience with RM Williams yet so I cannot give you any advice on sizing. Mind if I ask how you've ended up with such a significant difference in measurements? I've heard or read that feet can differ by half- to a full size but never two full to two full and a half. And how does that work out for you? 

post #3449 of 3908

I was looking for a pair of Chelsea boots for the winter months, and RM Williams looks like the way to go. However, I am not sure which configuration would be best for me as the information seems sparse and hard to find... I was hoping to get something that resembles the "styleforum special", (which I believe is a turnout with a flat feel in black calf veal?). However, I go to school in Canada and was wondering if I was worried about how the boots would hold up against walking in the snow & salt.

 

Also, is there anybody from Canada with shopping experience with the different retailers mentioned on the thread?

 

Thanks!

post #3450 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by underspecified View Post

Greetings,

I have been lurking for a while and a finally ready to invest in a pair of RM Williams, but I think I have the ultimate sizing challenge: my left and right feet differ in size by 2 to 2 1/2 US sizes.

For reference, when I tried a pair of Park Avenues, I was left foot 10.5D and right foot 8E, and I have a pair of Cliftons that I wear regularly which are 11D and 8D. This would my first pair of real chukkas, though I have a pair of cheap zip-up Timberlands that fit well at 9.5D/7.5D. I've also had a pair of Adidas trainers custom made, and my feet measured to L:276mm, R:244mm.

I am interested in the forum special or something comparably sleek, and my research through this thread lead to the following suggestions:

* Forum standard: 10.5D/8E
* Forum relaxed fit: 10.5E, 8F
* Forum snug fit: 10E, 7.5F

Obviously, this is going to have to be a custom order. I want as sleek a profile as possible while minimizing the risk that I will end up with something unwearable and thus unreturnable. I am located in Tokyo and cannot find anywhere to try the boots on in person.

Any suggestion about how to handle sizing and/or who to order through?

Thanks for the advice,

An aspiring RW WIlliams owner
If I were you, I would get in touch with bootsonline and communicate your issue.

RMW do a lot of MTO boots, so doing two boots in 2 different sizes shouldn't be too hard for them. The MTO upcharge is about $70 or so. Problem is if they don't fit you won't be able to return them as they are made to order, and will have trouble selling boots with suich a big size difference in the pair...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know