or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 217

post #3241 of 3794
I read nearly half of this massive thread. My head is still spinning. Please help.

1) I am a 9.5 D on the Allen Edmonds #5 last for the Park Avenue. According to the OP, I should get an 8.5 F if buying the Craftsman in kangaroo or calf, and 8.5 G if yearling. However, others in this thread went with 8.5 G for the non-yearling leather.

Should I buy the F or G width?

2) Since I'm unsure about width sizing, with no RMW stores within 1000 miles of Texas, should I buy a MTO shoe, or RTW so I can return/exchange them?
post #3242 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd06 View Post

I read nearly half of this massive thread. My head is still spinning. Please help.

1) I am a 9.5 D on the Allen Edmonds #5 last for the Park Avenue. According to the OP, I should get an 8.5 F if buying the Craftsman in kangaroo or calf, and 8.5 G if yearling. However, others in this thread went with 8.5 G for the non-yearling leather.

Should I buy the F or G width?

2) Since I'm unsure about width sizing, with no RMW stores within 1000 miles of Texas, should I buy a MTO shoe, or RTW so I can return/exchange them?

It's likely that an F width Craftsman would have to be MTO anyway as retailers generally only stock G width.

 

I'd get the Craftsman in 8.5D irrespective of the leather you choose (p.s. don't get kangaroo!). If the boot is too loose then get the 8.0D which is identical in length but narrower.

post #3243 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by appoooh View Post

It's likely that an F width Craftsman would have to be MTO anyway as retailers generally only stock G width.

I'd get the Craftsman in 8.5D irrespective of the leather you choose (p.s. don't get kangaroo!). If the boot is too loose then get the 8.0D which is identical in length but narrower.

Why do you recommend against the kangaroo? From what I read here, there were mixed reviews about whether or not it creases or wrinkles too easily. On the flip side, it's very soft, supple, yet tough for its weight.

The OP said the kangaroo chestnut was a "stunning leather that looks faintly darker and significantly richer than the chestnut yearling".

I plan on getting one boot in yearling black and one boot in kangaroo chestnut for the OP's stated reasons. However, your comment makes me hesitate.
post #3244 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd06 View Post


Why do you recommend against the kangaroo? From what I read here, there were mixed reviews about whether or not it creases or wrinkles too easily. On the flip side, it's very soft, supple, yet tough for its weight.

The OP said the kangaroo chestnut was a "stunning leather that looks faintly darker and significantly richer than the chestnut yearling".

I plan on getting one boot in yearling black and one boot in kangaroo chestnut for the OP's stated reasons. However, your comment makes me hesitate.

 

Admittedly the roo leather does have an attractive natural patina but the stuff is so stretchy and thin that when tightened over the boot the heel stiffener and the edges of the elastic inserts are plainly visible. I've also seen examples with deep creases under the elastic inserts and above the heel stiffener when new; the leather needs a more substantive lining IMHO.

 

And if you’ve never owned a pair then I think it’s a mistake to purchase two pairs at the same time as they’re not for everyone. If you find that you like the veal craftsman then by all means get the same in another colour or in suede as a second pair, but personally I’d lean towards one of their more casual models like the gardener boot.

post #3245 of 3794
Some thoughts after having read this whole thread:

-RM Williams is underrated. I can't believe how little presence they have in the US.
Neither store in New York or San Francisco has a good website or easy emailing where you can see their inventory like Allen Edmonds. $100 shipping both ways to Australia is pretty expensive given the size differences, or if you have the special soles, to get recrafted. Moreover, the NYC store charges $550 for their classic Craftsman boots versus $350 online. I don't think the ~60% difference justifies the brick and mortar store in Manhattan only.

-RMW is missing out on lots of money by not seizing the US market or making online purchases easier like on Zappos or Amazon.

-Which leads me to my biggest nitpick: I dislike how RMW doesn't display many of the colors they have nor the various leathers.
Instead, you have to hunt them down in threads like this. Even then, no one here has colors like honey tan, chamois, etc. For every custom boot they make in say camel or suede, they could take a picture at the factory. Also, a good side-by-side comparison of dark tan, tan, whiskey, brandy, and others would save hours of research. Some like me want models besides the ubiquitous/classic Craftsman Yearling in chestnut or black without committing to MTO/no return policy.

-It's interesting to see how this thread started, peaked, and has now died. It's a shame given the recent news with LVMH.
As we speak, negotiations are happening on the direction of the company, choosing new board, and so on. A friend who knows a friend involved in the deal says conversations to outsource more and more products are more frequent. Blundstones used to be made in Australia, not now. The leather goods will see a spike in prices as LVMH's outstanding marketing will tout the Australian craftsmanship. Apparently the boots may be split into cheap, outsourced ones and handmade, but premium priced Australian ones. Again, this is just gossip. Take it with a grain of salt.

One of the amazing things about RMW Chelseas are their bang for the buck like AE. If the rumors above are true, I'll buy several more pairs to last me for years.

-The svelte, brass screwed leather sole is very rare among RMW buyers.
It's more popular in their women's boots. Some dislike the lip jutting around boots, but most shoes for men have that. I looked at my GF's boots and noticed how little lip they have. Although the screw construction is very interesting and worth collecting, I think this forum got carried away with the Forum Specials that look feminine . If resoling the screwed leather sole wasn't such a hassle with sending back to Australia, I would still get it, feminine-looking or not since it's unique.
post #3246 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd06 View Post

Some thoughts after having read this whole thread:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
-RM Williams is underrated. I can't believe how little presence they have in the US.
Neither store in New York or San Francisco has a good website or easy emailing where you can see their inventory like Allen Edmonds. $100 shipping both ways to Australia is pretty expensive given the size differences, or if you have the special soles, to get recrafted. Moreover, the NYC store charges $550 for their classic Craftsman boots versus $350 online. I don't think the ~60% difference justifies the brick and mortar store in Manhattan only.

-RMW is missing out on lots of money by not seizing the US market or making online purchases easier like on Zappos or Amazon.

-Which leads me to my biggest nitpick: I dislike how RMW doesn't display many of the colors they have nor the various leathers.
Instead, you have to hunt them down in threads like this. Even then, no one here has colors like honey tan, chamois, etc. For every custom boot they make in say camel or suede, they could take a picture at the factory. Also, a good side-by-side comparison of dark tan, tan, whiskey, brandy, and others would save hours of research. Some like me want models besides the ubiquitous/classic Craftsman Yearling in chestnut or black without committing to MTO/no return policy.

-It's interesting to see how this thread started, peaked, and has now died. It's a shame given the recent news with LVMH.
As we speak, negotiations are happening on the direction of the company, choosing new board, and so on. A friend who knows a friend involved in the deal says conversations to outsource more and more products are more frequent. Blundstones used to be made in Australia, not now. The leather goods will see a spike in prices as LVMH's outstanding marketing will tout the Australian craftsmanship. Apparently the boots may be split into cheap, outsourced ones and handmade, but premium priced Australian ones. Again, this is just gossip. Take it with a grain of salt.

One of the amazing things about RMW Chelseas are their bang for the buck like AE. If the rumors above are true, I'll buy several more pairs to last me for years.

-The svelte, brass screwed leather sole is very rare among RMW buyers.
It's more popular in their women's boots. Some dislike the lip jutting around boots, but most shoes for men have that. I looked at my GF's boots and noticed how little lip they have. Although the screw construction is very interesting and worth collecting, I think this forum got carried away with the Forum Specials that look feminine . If resoling the screwed leather sole wasn't such a hassle with sending back to Australia, I would still get it, feminine-looking or not since it's unique.
I'd have to agree with most of what you've said there. Hopefully LVMH will fix up the web presence, including providing descriptions and pics of boots in leathers other than the standard chestnut and black (maybe a proper "boot configurator"?) With the fall in the $A the timing could be right for RMW to seriously boost their international profile and sales. I truly hope all the manufacturing stays in Australia; if the work boots go offshore it's a slippery slope.
post #3247 of 3794

Hey folks.

I thought I would post up a picture of my collection as colour comparison is something that is hard to gauge looking at photos of single boots.

From left to right:

-Comfort craftsman in calf leather in whiskey, bought this year

-Comfort craftsman in goat leather, my favourite ones

-Kingsvale kangaroo lace-ups in chestnut I think

-Comfort craftsman in chestnut, my daily/roughing it pair

-Craftsman in black

 

I use kiwi and RMW polish. The reddish colour on the kangaroos comes from the kiwi dark tan polish. The older 'parade gloss' was a nicer dark tan polish for the RMW chestnut in my opinion but is no longer available. The newer one has a lot more red in it.

 

I'm happy to post close-ups if people want to see the leathers. Just tell me what you need!

 

post #3248 of 3794

RMW target market has always been cashed up farmers who will buy 12 pairs of craftsmen in snakeskin and all their memorabilia. I'd say this is the first time they've thought about a younger, cosmopolitan consumer.

 

I wish they'd focus on core stock - their leather goods, graziers and trousers - rather than trying to branch out into streetwear, watches, business attire etc.

 

Condensing their range would also be useful - rather than having the 'signature craftsman', 'dynamic flex comfort craftsman', 'comfort craftsman' and 'craftsman' if they just had one craftsman you could pick in different colours and soles.

 

Their customer service is dodge too - I called their customer support once to ask about polish and was greeted with "Andrew, what's up?"

post #3249 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian B View Post

Hey folks.
I thought I would post up a picture of my collection as colour comparison is something that is hard to gauge looking at photos of single boots.
From left to right:
-Comfort craftsman in calf leather in whiskey, bought this year
-Comfort craftsman in goat leather, my favourite ones
-Kingsvale kangaroo lace-ups in chestnut I think
-Comfort craftsman in chestnut, my daily/roughing it pair
-Craftsman in black

I use kiwi and RMW polish. The reddish colour on the kangaroos comes from the kiwi dark tan polish. The older 'parade gloss' was a nicer dark tan polish for the RMW chestnut in my opinion but is no longer available. The newer one has a lot more red in it.

I'm happy to post close-ups if people want to see the leathers. Just tell me what you need!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Thanks for sharing! The goat (kid?) leather sounds interesting; I'm guessing these would be very soft. Obviously a MTO but did you supply the leather yourself, as I don't recall ever seeing goat as a standard MTO option?
post #3250 of 3794

Hi mate.

The goats are incredibly soft. They are the most comfortable pair I have and probably the lightest also. The thin leather marks easily though and the damage shows.

The kid leather was a made to order option about 4 years ago and was listed on their old site but not part of the new catalogue or site. I've never seen another pair and whenever I visit a RMW reseller or branded store wearing them they are usually puzzled and reach for the swatches.

 

Here is a close-up of the grain for you:

 

post #3251 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian B View Post

Hi mate.
The goats are incredibly soft. They are the most comfortable pair I have and probably the lightest also. The thin leather marks easily though and the damage shows.
The kid leather was a made to order option about 4 years ago and was listed on their old site but not part of the new catalogue or site. I've never seen another pair and whenever I visit a RMW reseller or branded store wearing them they are usually puzzled and reach for the swatches.

Here is a close-up of the grain for you:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Very nice. You probably have two of a kind there! I used to have a kid leather car coat which was like butter; I can only see those boots being at least as comfortable as the roo leather versions, only with a better depth of grain.
post #3252 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd06 View Post


Why do you recommend against the kangaroo? From what I read here, there were mixed reviews about whether or not it creases or wrinkles too easily. On the flip side, it's very soft, supple, yet tough for its weight.

The OP said the kangaroo chestnut was a "stunning leather that looks faintly darker and significantly richer than the chestnut yearling".

I plan on getting one boot in yearling black and one boot in kangaroo chestnut for the OP's stated reasons. However, your comment makes me hesitate.

 

I would highly recommend kangaroo though not for a business attire. They're not as easy to polish up and the wrinkling has been discussed here sufficiently. Nevertheless they're lightweight and the leather has a uncommon structure which I like very much.

 

Mine are chestnut coloured best described as a deep reddish brown. In my opinion the perfect casual boot.

 

If you have the money get all of them icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

If not, I'd stick to the Craftsman and reject the idea of the Gardener being too bold.

post #3253 of 3794

I know there is probably a more general shoe maintenance forum for this question, but I can't find it at present. I used innersoles for my Craftsmen, and they seem to have infected the shoes with a horrible mouldy smell. I threw the liners out immediately. I don't know how to get rid of the smell. I treat the shoes well - wearing them every second day, using cedar shoe trees. I have a shoe deodorant, but as far as I know they are mostly alcohol based, which I'm guessing bad for the leather lining. Does anyone have any alternatives?  

post #3254 of 3794

Using shoe deodorant in moderation should not affect the lining, only in excess and in long term use would it have an effect, leather is pretty tough and resilient
 

post #3255 of 3794
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw50717 View Post


That's what we like to see. Good work.

Here's some I prepared earlier.

rmw.jpg

 

which model is that?

 

if i am not mistaken it has a lower heel?

 

maybe it is a gardner / yard that has been resoled ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know