or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 216

post #3226 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by titsmcgee852 View Post

Has anyone had experience with R.M. Williams belts? Worth a buy? 

 

I own three of them. 

 

They're better quality than anything else I've seen, other than that the buckle is a bit flashy to wear with a suit. 

post #3227 of 3963

Yip agree. I've got two and they're great. At first I didn't really like the bright tail rings (the bits that sit off the side of the buckle) but after a while I got used to them. They have all sorts though. Even dress style with minimal buckle for more formal wear.

post #3228 of 3963

Hi guys,

 

Any idea what happened to the "made to order" section on the RM Williams website?

 

I can only see the RM Williams Signature boot - there is no option to design your own order?

 

Regards,
Peter

post #3229 of 3963

It's in the online catalog- look at it, then call them...

 

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/d9ae8f6e?sessionkey=049J-P0CZ-QMO0-GP55-6VHR-58M6-9GJC-XQUV#/d9ae8f6e/1

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeduh View Post

Hi guys,

 

Any idea what happened to the "made to order" section on the RM Williams website?

 

I can only see the RM Williams Signature boot - there is no option to design your own order?

 

Regards,
Peter

post #3230 of 3963

Busa, I just received my MTO order for the Yearling Boot today. It's in dark brown suede with the Comfort rubber sole and the block heel or whatever it's called. If you like, I can take a couple of pictures for you.

post #3231 of 3963

Seeing as there are 215-odd pages to this thread - too many to go through - has anyone posted pics of their well-loved, hacked-up old RMs?

 

I have been wearing the same pair for close on 15 years now. (OK, occasionally I do take them off.) Had them re-soled once, by an official RMW repairer in Albury. This was before I knew about Goodyear welting, and when the boots were returned to me looking well-nigh brand new, I simply couldn't figure out how he had done the re-sole.

 

They were subjected to major trauma when I hiked off the Schilthorn in Switzerland about seven years ago. (I also got the worst sunburn of my life that day.) The leather has roughened, cracked and actually split in a couple of places now, but with a lick of RMW chestnut polish and then a finish with Oakwood leather conditioner, they still come up looking vaguely wearable every time. I just can't bear to throw them out. The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, and dollar-for-day-worn, the best value too.

 

post #3232 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonc View Post

I was weak musicboohoo[1].gif

The seasonal Brandy Veal Dynamic Flex Craftsmans



And now for a line-up comparison...



From left to right - Aztec Nubuck craftsman, Brandy Veal Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Chestnut Yearling Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Black Yearling Dynamic Flex Craftsman, Black Veal Forum Special, and a fraud facepalm.gif

Something I don't quite get about the Forum Special - supposedly it's a Craftsman, but the one in this photo (second from right) appears to have a pointy toe reminiscent more of the Yearling.

 

I quite like the pointier toe but I don't like the cuban heel of the standard Yearling (as featured on RMW's website). Can anyone advise the last number of this pointy-toe style? Thanks.

post #3233 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

Seeing as there are 215-odd pages to this thread - too many to go through - has anyone posted pics of their well-loved, hacked-up old RMs?

 

I have been wearing the same pair for close on 15 years now. (OK, occasionally I do take them off.) Had them re-soled once, by an official RMW repairer in Albury. This was before I knew about Goodyear welting, and when the boots were returned to me looking well-nigh brand new, I simply couldn't figure out how he had done the re-sole.

 

They were subjected to major trauma when I hiked off the Schilthorn in Switzerland about seven years ago. (I also got the worst sunburn of my life that day.) The leather has roughened, cracked and actually split in a couple of places now, but with a lick of RMW chestnut polish and then a finish with Oakwood leather conditioner, they still come up looking vaguely wearable every time. I just can't bear to throw them out. The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned, and dollar-for-day-worn, the best value too.

 

 

Haven't owned one that long mate - but my black RMW in my picture shine like that after 2 years with nothing more than a lick of conditioner!

post #3234 of 3963

At last- back in the States for a couple of weeks and my RMW boots were here- first pair for me. This is a custom order Yearling with the screwed sole, and I love the way they look. I'm still getting used to the fit- they feel great on my entire foot and ankle, like a glove, and my three outside toes just touch the edge of the inside. I am still deciding if this is perfect, or if I should use a European size next time to go up just a touch...  ?

Also the sock liner I expected to be one smooth piece, but it has a line at the heel section I can feel, then continues to the toe of the boot. I'm not sure about this yet, I may explore super thin insoles to try with it.

 

Here it is... I think this is one sleek looking piece of footwear... (8 1/2D US)

 

 

post #3235 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

Something I don't quite get about the Forum Special - supposedly it's a Craftsman, but the one in this photo (second from right) appears to have a pointy toe reminiscent more of the Yearling.

 

I quite like the pointier toe but I don't like the cuban heel of the standard Yearling (as featured on RMW's website). Can anyone advise the last number of this pointy-toe style? Thanks.

 

There are actually three heels- flat, block, and Cuban- Yearling has block heel, not Cuban- picture in post just above...

 

The Forum Special looks pointier because the sole is not the standard Goodyear welted- it is a screwed sole so doesn't have quite the "bumper" of the standard sole, makes it look much sleeker. My boots are the Yearling with the screwed sole, so more pointed toe AND sleeker sole...

post #3236 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

.



That's what we like to see. Good work.

Here's some I prepared earlier.

rmw.jpg
Edited by milw50717 - 5/9/13 at 5:34pm
post #3237 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

 

There are actually three heels- flat, block, and Cuban- Yearling has block heel, not Cuban- picture in post just above...

 

The Forum Special looks pointier because the sole is not the standard Goodyear welted- it is a screwed sole so doesn't have quite the "bumper" of the standard sole, makes it look much sleeker. My boots are the Yearling with the screwed sole, so more pointed toe AND sleeker sole...

Busa, thanks for clarifying.

 

I'm also quite taken by the "Signature" boot on the RMW website. This seems to tick quite a few boxes - veal calf leather, flat heel, "refined toe shape", and so on. Looks to be Goodyear welted from the photo (see below). I would be reluctant to order online - not quite sure of my size - and as I have the luxury of being near an RMW boutique, I might enquire there. Sounds like the screwed sole might just make this beauty a little sleeker still, although it's not too shabby as is...

 

 

I'm guessing this model would only be available either online or through the boutique. It's A$600 online. Anyone have feedback on the Signature boot?

post #3238 of 3963

I've been eyeing the black macquarie for 2 years, but haven't  been able to convince myself to go for it. Really dumb question, but are these timberland boots in a sleek last?

post #3239 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingaraveup View Post

I've been eyeing the black macquarie for 2 years, but haven't  been able to convince myself to go for it. Really dumb question, but are these timberland boots in a sleek last?
No.
post #3240 of 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxaca View Post

Busa, thanks for clarifying.

I'm also quite taken by the "Signature" boot on the RMW website. This seems to tick quite a few boxes - veal calf leather, flat heel, "refined toe shape", and so on. Looks to be Goodyear welted from the photo (see below). I would be reluctant to order online - not quite sure of my size - and as I have the luxury of being near an RMW boutique, I might enquire there. Sounds like the screwed sole might just make this beauty a little sleeker still, although it's not too shabby as is...




I'm guessing this model would only be available either online or through the boutique. It's A$600 online. Anyone have feedback on the Signature boot?
I've handled them and they are nice boots no doubt. Having said that, apart from a brass plate on the sole arch and the signature which gives the boots their name, I couldn't see much difference superficially between them and a pair of French veal craftsmen (the sig boots are the same last as the craftsman B543). For $600 they are overpriced for sure, but don't be surprised if you couldn't get them cheaper via one of the online wholesalers like Bootsonline. That said, I'm still not convinced they are worth a $200 premium over RMW's "regular" French veal models, or a FV MTO. They are also very, very nice boots...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know