or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 209

post #3121 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

 

FYI there is an RM Williams brick and mortar store in NYC. 

I will have to stop in, thanks!

post #3122 of 3887

www.bootsonline.com.au
 

post #3123 of 3887

700


R.M. Williams All-Rounder Boots

post #3124 of 3887

Just got my comfort craftsman in chestnut color. Beautiful!

Now, how should I treat them before I go out in the snowy weather? Do I need to put anything more than the Stockman's Boot Polish that came with the shoes?

post #3125 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikol View Post

Just got my comfort craftsman in chestnut color. Beautiful!

Now, how should I treat them before I go out in the snowy weather? Do I need to put anything more than the Stockman's Boot Polish that came with the shoes?

 

as with all new shoes, condition the leather and the welt threads, light wax the leather and the welt threads, before you put them to use.

post #3126 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGee View Post

Hi all, first post.

I went on the hunt for a pair of RMW yesterday and had some luck at the DFO near the airport (I live in Melbourne) but now I have a question about the leather, or more specifically breaking in the leather. I have never had a pair of boots before and so I rightly went with the advice of the bloke in the store who told me convincingly that he worked for RMW for 20 years who told me I am a 9G. Cool, wearing them now...but my big toe on my left foot feels like it wants to cry! The right boot is better and feels like it should give over time to fit very well, but I am a little frightened the left is just too small.

How long has it taken most people to break in the toe box on a pair of French Veal Craftsmen boots?? And are there any tips that make it simple?

I have read a good part of this thread, but forgive me please for not wanting to read 200+ pages!

Thanks.

MrMc.

PS. Till the stock runs out there is a $50 sale on boots at the Melbourne DFO (the Spencer st one), most of the sizes are around 6-7. Good luck to you if you have smaller feet. (Current Aug 19)
Hi mate. I have around 11 pairs of RMs , of which one pair is the Craftsman in French Veal Calf. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that they are too small for you. Did the salesman measure you up? My experience suggests that these boots should fit out of the box and feel like you have been wearing them all of your life. The key is getting the correct size. If your left foot is in pain, I would sell them, as they will never stretch to accommodate the size difference and they will only get worse when your feet swell in the hot weather.
post #3127 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post

Hi mate. I have around 11 pairs of RMs , of which one pair is the Craftsman in French Veal Calf. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that they are too small for you. Did the salesman measure you up? My experience suggests that these boots should fit out of the box and feel like you have been wearing them all of your life. The key is getting the correct size. If your left foot is in pain, I would sell them, as they will never stretch to accommodate the size difference and they will only get worse when your feet swell in the hot weather.

 

Well said. These are not boots that require a lengthy, uncomfortable break-in period. All footwear will break in with use but my two pair of yearling craftsman boots felt great out of the box. Stiff leather, like that found on workboots (Whites, Red Wing, etc.) takes time to soften up and be comfortable. It's recommened that users wear them for just a few hours at a time until they break in. RMW craftsman should not require this step. I'd think that they are the wrong size.

 

Did the SA measure you? Did you try on multiple sizes? I'd bring them back to the store and respectfully request a different size. It's not like you are looking for a refund but rather an exchange based on poor fit advice. It can't hurt to try.

post #3128 of 3887

Hello all, I've lurked quite a bit of this thread, but I've created an account to bring a question to you guys regarding my own pair of RMs.

 

So, I bought my 1st pair a little under a year ago, Kangaroo Craftsman. I initially loved them, but somewhat recently I've noticed a sort of defect in my boots that's really annoying me and I wanted an opinion.
 

700

The toe stiffeners are uneven. The left boot's is about 1/2-3/4 an centimeter longer than the right's, and the Right's actually curves up on the inside edge. In case it's not immediately visible in the picture here's a crude outline of what I believe to be the edge of each toe stiffener.

700

As you can see on the left boot, the leather is actually buckling up against the stiffener.

Now, I do like the creasing on the kangaroo in general, it's what attracted me to the kangaroo leather in the 1st place; but because the leather is a lot thinner, it's really accentuated this flaw.

 

Is there anything I can do about this? If i bring them to RM Williams is there anything they can/will do about this?

I'd really love to love these boots, but this is really bugging me.

 

Thank you.

post #3129 of 3887
Hi mate. It is personal opinion, but the beauty of an RM boot is its individuality. You have to remember that these boots are pretty much hand made, thus they will always differ. A pair of mine have creased differently and taken on different patinas, but I love that. Another consideration is that your feet are different, thus when you walk, you will probably crease the boot in a different way.

I know this doesn't answer your question per se, so I don't think you should worry about it, as the more you wear them, the more individual they will become. Just enjoy them.

Cheers.
post #3130 of 3887
Take the back, see what they say.
post #3131 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPoli View Post

Hello all, I've lurked quite a bit of this thread, but I've created an account to bring a question to you guys regarding my own pair of RMs.

So, I bought my 1st pair a little under a year ago, Kangaroo Craftsman. I initially loved them, but somewhat recently I've noticed a sort of defect in my boots that's really annoying me and I wanted an opinion.

 
700

The toe stiffeners are uneven. The left boot's is about 1/2-3/4 an centimeter longer than the right's, and the Right's actually curves up on the inside edge. In case it's not immediately visible in the picture here's a crude outline of what I believe to be the edge of each toe stiffener.
700

As you can see on the left boot, the leather is actually buckling up against the stiffener.
Now, I do like the creasing on the kangaroo in general, it's what attracted me to the kangaroo leather in the 1st place; but because the leather is a lot thinner, it's really accentuated this flaw.

Is there anything I can do about this? If i bring them to RM Williams is there anything they can/will do about this?
I'd really love to love these boots, but this is really bugging me.

Thank you.

Your boots looks like perfect from your pictures, I think you don't wear them quite often. I have the same situation as you and even worse, however from my opinion, as long as the leather doesn't break up, it should be no problem at all for you wearing. I will post some photos later on, and you will know exactly what I'm saying.
post #3132 of 3887
Regarding your issue, I think I have the same problem as you but even worse, however I don't think it is a big problem. I have attached some photos from my boots.
post #3133 of 3887

Any boxing day or post christmas sale at RM this year? i am looking for new boots.

post #3134 of 3887

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a pair of boot shoetrees for RM Williams boots? links are appreciated! I have looked everywhere but haven't found anything!

post #3135 of 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Any boxing day or post christmas sale at RM this year? i am looking for new boots.

Nope, only get buy a new pair of boots and get one pair of boat shoes for free.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know