or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 201

post #3001 of 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

That's disappointing and annoying. I'm sorry you had to wait for so long only to be delivered something unsuitable!

The staff in the shop were exceptionally helpful.

I fail to understand how boots of this quality can be fouled up so badly. The first boot is awful.

I'm happy to have a go myself - show me the machine, take me through it, and let me make a pair.
post #3002 of 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Oh well, I'll have to pass on R.M.Williams.
They fouled up my first MTO, and I think they fouled up the second. It looks 'off' anyway.
I placed the original order in December - 8 months ago!
Got a refund.
First MTO:

Second MTO:

Note the bulge in the leather as it pushes against the heel counter, and the deep triangular shape.
Don't get me wrong - they are a great maker. Perhaps I'm just unlucky.

Wow that sucks. The 1st is just terrible. The 2nd - is your heel not snug in the back of the boot? It just looks like your heels are swimming back there. Mine appear to want to do this too but don't because my heel is preventing it. Actually, I'll have to see what mine do when I arch my foot forward like that. Do you have any pics of the boots when you are just standing or taking a normal stride in them? No offence by the way; I'm just curious.

Best of luck if you ever try again.
post #3003 of 4001
The second pair fit like a glove, so no problems with the fit.

This was the only pic I took, but looking at the boots from the back (at rest) you can see a distinct line where the leather is tight against the heel stiffener.

I think there's slightly too much leather there. It pushes inwards and then outwards over the heel stiffener. The stitch line at the back may be out. When I looked inside the boots it wasn't in the same place.

I contacted R.M.Williams and highlighted the problems I've had.

We'll see what happens.
Edited by rabiesinfrance - 8/11/12 at 12:35pm
post #3004 of 4001

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerodean View Post

Today I received my first pair of RM Williams boots, the Rigger boot in a Vesta brown. I know its quite different than the types of boots everyone is ordered in this thread. However I wanted to post some pictures because I could hardly find any pictures when I was considering buying them.

As you say, there’s precious little information about the Rigger boot on RM William’s website or elsewhere, and photos are rare.  So about a month ago I headed down to their George St store to check them out in person.

 

There were none on display so I asked the salesman behind the desk. He wasn’t sure, so with me looking over his shoulder he started flicking through the store catalogue.

 

“That’s them”, I said, pointing to a photo of the boots in distressed leather.

 

The salesman looked at me incredulously, “Those are working boots. We don’t sell working boots; you won’t be able to get them anywhere in the city”.

 

I asked him whether they came in calf leather and he assured me that the factory only made them in distressed leather.

 

I walked out.

 

Next I tried their new shop in Pitt St. The salesman was enthusiastic but clueless (he kept referring to them as the ‘Rigueur’ boot), nonetheless he told me that he would email the factory and ask whether a pair could be made in calf leather, and get a quote for the same.

 

Back at the office I turned to Google and found them advertised at The Stable Door for $100 below retail, with options for both Vesta and Greasy Kip leather. I ordered them in Vesta because I preferred the colour, and took a punt on the size (8.5G, half a size larger than normal because I planned to wear them with thick socks). Tried to pay using PayPal but their form was horribly broken so I called the store direct with my credit card details.

 

The phone was answered by Lisa, who spoke in a thick country Victorian accent and was completely charming. She sounded surprised, like she’d accidently been called by dear friend…

 

Lisa explained that they didn’t have the boot in my size but if I was prepared to wait 4-6 weeks a pair could be made at the factory. I told her I was happy to wait.

 

Anyway, four weeks to the day my new boots arrived at work. I like them!  While they’re not dressy enough for the workplace, they look ok with jeans and chinos. Top down they look like a Gardener although perhaps a little narrower? They’re only a little wider than my Park Avenues, glad I sized up by ½.

 

Some photos of my own:

 

700700

 

 

700700

 

 

 

post #3005 of 4001
They look great, thanks for the additional pictures, they surely deserve more recognition biggrin.gif I'll try to post some pictures when they're worn in too smile.gif
post #3006 of 4001

Agreed, they look superb.

post #3007 of 4001

Do you reckon they are they comfortable enough to use for walking very long distances? I've just signed agreed to do the Oxfam 100km walk and I'd rather get some footwear that I will continue to use after the walk is done.

post #3008 of 4001
They are very comfortable however if you're after real comfort RM williams make a "comfort sole" that is amazingly comfortable, I tried on a pair of "turnout"s with a comfort sole and they are like walking on clouds. The only thing is that the comfort soles have no tread and are just a composite sole, but damn comfortable. I asked in store if they could put the comfort sole on the rigger boot and they said they could but it costed slightly more. Mine dont have that, however and are breaking in nice and comfy so you should be fine. They're actually marketed as a 'walking boot'.
post #3009 of 4001

Yep, I was asking because I saw they were being marketed as a walking boot smile.gif I have a couple of pairs of the Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman boots and they are extremely comfortable!

post #3010 of 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

Yep, I was asking because I saw they were being marketed as a walking boot smile.gif  I have a couple of pairs of the Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman boots and they are extremely comfortable!

Yeah, I would have gone for the comfort soles only I didn't have the extra cash for them, but damn, they were so comfortable I never wanted to take them off! biggrin.gif
post #3011 of 4001

Hi all, first post.

 

I went on the hunt for a pair of RMW yesterday and had some luck at the DFO near the airport (I live in Melbourne) but now I have a question about the leather, or more specifically breaking in the leather. I have never had a pair of boots before and so I rightly went with the advice of the bloke in the store who told me convincingly that he worked for RMW for 20 years who told me I am a 9G. Cool, wearing them now...but my big toe on my left foot feels like it wants to cry! The right boot is better and feels like it should give over time to fit very well, but I am a little frightened the left is just too small.

 

How long has it taken most people to break in the toe box on a pair of French Veal Craftsmen boots?? And are there any tips that make it simple?

 

I have read a good part of this thread, but forgive me please for not wanting to read 200+ pages!

 

Thanks.

 

MrMc.

 

PS. Till the stock runs out there is a $50 sale on boots at the Melbourne DFO (the Spencer st one), most of the sizes are around 6-7. Good luck to you if you have smaller feet. (Current Aug 19)

post #3012 of 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGee View Post

PS. Till the stock runs out there is a $50 sale on boots at the Melbourne DFO (the Spencer st one), most of the sizes are around 6-7. Good luck to you if you have smaller feet. (Current Aug 19)

$50 for RM Williams boots? A lot of models or...?

post #3013 of 4001

I assumed it was $50 off but if it boots at $50 then it's a hell of a bargain!

post #3014 of 4001
I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and own a Dynamic Flex Craftsmans in yearling chestnut and black, as well as a seasonal aztec nubuck craftsman.

Decided to take the plunge and order ye olde Forum Special... pics below!





*Last pic is my pj's* musicboohoo[1].gif

Very pleased - huge difference in look to the craftsman models. I went with the relaxed formula, and it is a good fit. Any more snug and I feel it would flatten out too much...
post #3015 of 4001

Am new to this thread, and the benefits of wholecut chelsea boots, and how the sleeker RMW calfskin models might rival those of JMW and JL when paired with suits / formalwear.  But in my search for configurations more suitable for wear with denim, I happened upon some interesting not-as-well-known suede materials that RM Williams also uses when crafting boots, but does not list in it's catalog.  

 

Standard suede colors are a black, dark brown, and that whitish sand suede color.  But they also have a 'mid-brown' tone that has a more snuff suede colored hue.  Had a chance, yesterday, to learn more about it when speaking on the phone with a wonderful RMW-NYC sales associate by the name of Kevin, who quite patiently answered all of my questions.  There's also two camel leather options in brown and black, which was the closest approximation to pebble / scotch grain textures I could find RMW having on offer . . . 

 

Have enclosed some pics of the mid-brown suede options (comfort craftsman model).  And also included a link to some great pics of the brownish-chestnutty camel option.  Was informed that both materials could be deployed in a wide range of MTO configurations . . .

 

 

 

(camel option link)

 

http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/category/r-m-williams/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know