or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 192

post #2866 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post

I order a pair of black craftsman last night. I wait with excitement for them to arrive. Ordered 9G (tried in the Perth RM store yesterday - served by a knockout blonde who was as helpful as she was beautiful).
My chestnut boots in 9F have worn in a bit and aren't so tight but they still bug me especially after walking around for a while.
A question for boot experts:
Is it possible to resole a F narrow fitting to a G fitting ??

I got an answer by email from RM wiliiams and it is indeed possible to change from a F last to a G last. bit of a cost involved though ($140) so I will see how I go wearing my F's in. Ive worn them about 6-8 times so when I get to 30 wears as suggested by Garry above I'll see how I go.

Will get some pics up when new black boots arrive
post #2867 of 3942
my black pair of macquaries came in today and i'm so happy. i ordered from aussie bush hats & oilskins and was surprised by how fast they were shipped (i received them about five weeks after i ordered as opposed to their estimated time of 8-9 weeks).

mine are the standard flat heels and while i love them, i am curious about how block heels look in person (fit pics, etc). very tempted.
post #2868 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliks View Post

my black pair of macquaries came in today and i'm so happy. i ordered from aussie bush hats & oilskins and was surprised by how fast they were shipped (i received them about five weeks after i ordered as opposed to their estimated time of 8-9 weeks).
mine are the standard flat heels and while i love them, i am curious about how block heels look in person (fit pics, etc). very tempted.

nice mate. get some pics up if you please. I ordered from aussiebush late last week, got an email saying they need to be made first then shipped due to demand, so looking at late jan arrival time ffffuuuu.gif
post #2869 of 3942

Hi All,

 

Purchased a pair of Macquaries (7F, Yearling, Chestnutt, Leather Sole) and couldn't be happier.  Ordered from the RMW store at The Rocks and they said it would take 6-8 weeks.  It only ended up taking 3.5 weeks so I was stoked.  Will post pics soon...

 

Quick (silly) question though: we all know that you should always use the tugs when putting on the boots, but is there an appropriate way to take off the boots so as to have the stress go through the elastic as much as possible and through the upper as little as possible?  I feel like I may be damaging the upper everytime I take them off, or am I just being paranoid?

 

Lex

post #2870 of 3942
I got the Comfort Craftsmen today, to use during the winter - could not find as many photos of Comfort model as the non-comforts while considering between the Lachlan and these so I thought to upload a couple.

I got them from http://www.linnell-countrywear.co.uk/RM-Williams for £254.95 shipped (to Finland), that was about 37€ more than from aussie dealers but then again the possible additional customs duties could have been 58€ if ordered from there.

Linnell's was very nice to deal with and the boots got to here in a week.

I have AE Park Avenues, Presidio loafers and Evanstons all in size 8D and RMW in size 7G seem to fit quite right.

261

261
post #2871 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex vin View Post

Hi All,

 

Purchased a pair of Macquaries (7F, Yearling, Chestnutt, Leather Sole) and couldn't be happier.  Ordered from the RMW store at The Rocks and they said it would take 6-8 weeks.  It only ended up taking 3.5 weeks so I was stoked.  Will post pics soon...

 

Quick (silly) question though: we all know that you should always use the tugs when putting on the boots, but is there an appropriate way to take off the boots so as to have the stress go through the elastic as much as possible and through the upper as little as possible?  I feel like I may be damaging the upper everytime I take them off, or am I just being paranoid?

 

Lex


I usually grip the base of the heel and pull them off while I'm sitting down. I'm positive you aren't damaging the uppers, leather is pretty tough yo.
post #2872 of 3942
Might be imagining things, but I seem to recall a large metal contraption for removing boots. Think it was in the earlier RM catalogues, or maybe I spied it at the Bond Street store.

Gripping the side of the leather + heel itself is the safest way to remove them. With my first ever pair of RM's, I used to grip just the heel and pull down, which loosened it a little. At any rate, I find a little wiggling of the foot is also involved before extraction is complete.

RM appear to branching out into other things. Once a company starts down the sunglass route, I begin to worry. Next on the list is usually wristwatches, followed by an overall drop in the quality of product they were known for in the first place. I'm not suggesting that this has happened, I just pray that it never does.

Still love my RM's

Lear
post #2873 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post

RM appear to branching out into other things. Once a company starts down the sunglass route, I begin to worry. Next on the list is usually wristwatches, followed by an overall drop in the quality of product they were known for in the first place. I'm not suggesting that this has happened, I just pray that it never does.
Still love my RM's
Lear

I saw that too Lear. Pretty average looking sunnies too. I wouldnt worry too much about the sunglasses thing; it's probably just a low cost/time intensive way to get easy money from the, no offence, cashed-up-bogan segment of their clientele. It may even be a good thing, easy money to reinvest back into the boot side of their business.

I have a question for you and other RM experts; leather conditoner then polish, or vice versa ??
post #2874 of 3942
I ended up succumbing and ordered from Bootsonline a pair of Lachlan boots a month or so ago. I received them just a few days ago, I am quite pleasantly surprised with how they look - a lot sleeker than I expected, more than my claret Craftsman with the composite sole. And they were comfortable from the get go.
post #2875 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post

I have a question for you and other RM experts; leather conditoner then polish, or vice versa ??

Hi Dicko, I'm trying not to go off on a shoe care tangent (my favourite subject). Best I can do is point to this thread, started by Moo. Absolutely everything is discussed there, including many RMW examples. Be amazed at the obsession some display. They can't be normal shog[1].gif

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

Lear
post #2876 of 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post

Hi Dicko, I'm trying not to go off on a shoe care tangent (my favourite subject). Best I can do is point to this thread, started by Moo. Absolutely everything is discussed there, including many RMW examples. Be amazed at the obsession some display. They can't be normal shog[1].gif
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc
Lear

Thanks Lear, great thread!
post #2877 of 3942

I ordered a pair of black craftsman and I think my eyes are playing tricks on me. It looks as if the toe cap is not as sleek as my past pair of craftsman, which are currently getting repaired so I can't compare them.

 

I know that the comfort and blaxland use slightly bigger toe cap, I'm just wondering if they may be using it now on the craftsman.

 

There's something about it that just doesn't give the sleek craftsman look. I've noticed that the quality on this pair is not 100%, I hope they are not dropping the quality.

 

 

Thanks

Mark

post #2878 of 3942

Great write up. I have two pairs of RM. I bought the first one in Melbourne before the Olympics in Sydney and the pair a bought is a special Olympia edition - awesome pair of boots. I just ordered a pair just like the once the author got in suede. 

 

post #2879 of 3942
Heres my MTO creations in an 11.5 E slim fit after a week of wear. Beautiful shoes!

First pair of shoes I've ever had that actually fit my skinny feet.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg
post #2880 of 3942
@Marka888 - amazing that you said this, because I'm also convinced my Macquaries are not as sleek as my first pair. Like you've said about the toecap...I think mine look rounded and bulky rather than narrowing and to a slight point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know