or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 17

post #241 of 4005
yes, yes! Pictures! We wants them...
post #242 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
My advice would be to go with an 8.5 F for RMW, assuming your 9.5 D's are not tight or too snug. If your 9.5 D's leave you with a little space or if this is your sneaker size, go with an 8 F RMW. These boots need to be somewhat snug to fit you right over the long term. Also, I have the yearlings and there is no discernable difference with the leathers of my other shoes in terms of durability. Of course, I have not worn them yet but the RMW's don't feel delicate, if anything, I feel like they could stand up to quite a beating.
Gah! Still confusing! I wear 9.5D in my New Balances, but that's rather snug. I'm hoping that's reliable for an accurate measurement. Good to know the yearling leather's durable. I must admit the name doesn't connote toughness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
I hear what you're saying, but I was looking at the storm-welted boots in person today, and I'm not sure I'd want to do that to a Craftsman even if RMW were willing.
What's wrong with storm welting?
post #243 of 4005
I think I'm ready to bite the bullet on some Turnouts in chestnut after trying on some AE PA. They were 11.5D and quite snug. I'm guessing that means I should get 10.5F. In case they don't fit, does nungar take returns? I really wouldn't like to ship to Australia (cost would be huge), but I wouldn't have any choice.
post #244 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borky
I think I'm ready to bite the bullet on some Turnouts in chestnut after trying on some AE PA. They were 11.5D and quite snug. I'm guessing that means I should get 10.5F. In case they don't fit, does nungar take returns? I really wouldn't like to ship to Australia (cost would be huge), but I wouldn't have any choice.


If it were me, I'd maybe even go up half a size for insurance. If you look at my pictures above, the 10.5 RMWs are shorter than an 11.5 PA.
post #245 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
If it were me, I'd maybe even go up half a size for insurance. If you look at my pictures above, the 10.5 RMWs are shorter than an 11.5 PA.
12F in RMW? Are you so sure about that? Or do you mean 11F RMW?
post #246 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borky
12F in RMW? Are you so sure about that?

Or do you mean 11F RMW?


My advice would be to go with 10.5G if an 11.5D AE is "quite snug". D width in AE fits me good, but it is not snug. My 9F RMW's are snug, which is how I like them. The F width might be too narrow for you.
post #247 of 4005
No, I meant an RMW 11; that is, go up have a size from the one you had chosen, not from your PA size. On the width, I have no opinion.
post #248 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator
Kangaroo is said to be the toughest leather weight for weight in the world and for this reason RMW chooses thinner skins. Kangaroos are as common as rodents in many parts of Australia - contrary to popular misconception they are not an endangered species. Kangaroos skin is much more coarse grained than other skins because they are left to roam around in the wild and accumulate small scars during the animal's lifetime. It is suitable for casual wear.

Some of this is a little off, but only a little.

Kangaroo is not currently considered an endangered species"”this is correct. But, Kangaroo is still illegal in New York State"”they never changed it after Kangaroo was removed from the endangered species list. As far as I know, this is not enforced.

Also, the Kangaroo population is closly tied to the amount of rain fall in Australia. The last I checked in on the situation there was an ongoing draught and lots of starving roo's. This could mean that they are heading back towards the endangered species list. This also means lower quality hides (poorly nurished aminals, more cuts from fighting for resources, etc.).

Oh, and RM makes some great stock whips too

One note. The RMW store in NYC is seriously overpriced. I would get my sizing right and then order from someplace else.
post #249 of 4005
If Kangaroo is illegal in NYS, someone should tell the RMW store on 59th. Or, you know, not.
post #250 of 4005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lino
Kangaroo is not currently considered an endangered species—this is correct. But, Kangaroo is still illegal in New York State—they never changed it after Kangaroo was removed from the endangered species list. As far as I know, this is not enforced. Also, the Kangaroo population is closly tied to the amount of rain fall in Australia. The last I checked in on the situation there was an ongoing draught and lots of starving roo's. This could mean that they are heading back towards the endangered species list. This also means lower quality hides (poorly nurished aminals, more cuts from fighting for resources, etc.).
For a while kangaroos were protected. However, that was many years ago and many rarer species of kangaroo still are protected. The commoner varieties are as common as rabbits. In many states they have over proliferated to the point of being an environmental problem - not enough carnivores at the top of the food chain to balance things out in the ecosystem. Part of the reason kangaroos are starving is because there are too many of them for the land to support after they strip the land bare of foliage. Internationally some over zealous individuals have been claiming that kangaroos are endagered and as a result created a barrier to the export of kangaroo meat and leather products. http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/letters/letter2.htm http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/kangaroos.html So relax - you are not involved in the sneaky slaughter of an endangered animal species.
post #251 of 4005
Does anyone have any photos that they can post of the whiskey colored craftsman boots?

Oh, as for sizing, 10.5D AE PA, 9.5G RMW Craftsman -- and the RMW's fit so nicely that I'm now salivating over different styles and colors.
post #252 of 4005
Sator and others - Is this a good deal? Are these shoes in decent condition (requiring as much as a polish up?) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160057592269
post #253 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by broady
Sator and others - Is this a good deal?

Are these shoes in decent condition (requiring as much as a polish up?)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160057592269

In my opinion those shoes are not in good condition at all. If you needed a pair to work in the stalls with, maybe.

The creasing on them is pretty strange: I've had my Craftman model for a year, and wear them often, but they have very little "large-scale" creasing at all, such as the kind on the boots you link to. Mine do have a fair amount of very small creases, which aren't so visible in photographs as the ones shown in the link.
post #254 of 4005
I checked out the shop on 59th yesterday.

The kangaroo was very nice, but as people have said, wrinkles easily. I think it's perfect if you're after an aged boot.

The whiskey colour is gorgeous (I bet it ages beautifully), but is only available in the Comfort Craftsman, which is a shame.

I was about to settle on the French Veal when the helpful clerk mentioned that the calves were slaughtered at one day of age to ensure a pristine leather. That more or less put the kibosh on that.

Chestnut Yearling Craftsman it is.

lefty
post #255 of 4005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty
I was about to settle on the French Veal when the helpful clerk mentioned that the calves were slaughtered at one day of age to ensure a pristine leather. That more or less put the kibosh on that.

That's the comforting thing about shell cordovan. The horse has lived its full life. They're not killed to make your shoes. On top of that, you can honor the horse by giving the shoes another long life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know