or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know - Page 159

post #2371 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
This month they introduced a new "dynamic flex comfort" sole. This uses a leather and rubber sole, with the leather under the arch. They have also slightly changed the innersole to replace the leather board insole with a cellulose board, and the steel shank has been replaced by fibreglass to be lighter, and avoid setting off airport scanners. I haven't tried this sole, so I can't comment on it.

This new sole sounds very interesting. I checked the RM site and bootsonline, but didn't see any info about this. Does anybody know about availability of this new sole and if there's any info online?

I have two pairs of RM's (Gardeners and Comfort Turnouts), but I have never found either of them to be very comfortable. I love the look and build quality, but I'm on my feet a lot, and often lugging heavy equipment cases around in my work as a photographer. So the leather insoles are too hard and the comfort soles are marginally better, but I don't like to wear either for a full work day.

I've been thinking about a pair of Blundstones, but I wonder if this new sole would be worth considering as well. Any thoughts on whether it would be more comfortable than my Comfort Turnouts?

Cheers,

Andrew
post #2372 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan View Post
Normal Sole v Brass Screwed Sole

Hey Tez could i trouble you for some more side-by-side comparisons of these two shoes from different angles?

I'm starting to feel that I like the look of the welted sole on Stockmans. Kind of seems too plain from the side without it.
post #2373 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post
They look like Ian Harold boots. Do you live in Melbourne? Why not go out to their factory and ask them or ring them up?


Harold Brumby

Big diff in colour from the first pic (from denewear website) to how mine look
LL
LL
post #2374 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
looks like you are a 7.5 G. if you want to sell those Clarets lemme know


lol


it's interesting how the boots with the brass screwed sole look smaller - did someone use the word abstract (?) the other day to articulate that two pairs of Craftsman, one with screwed sole and one without, look like diffent boots.

I was wearing the French veal Macquaries today.., and it was almost distracting me that they made my feet look smaller. Funny.. I never thought that with the normal Macquaries


On the issue of smaller..., the two brass screwed soles (black Macquarie and claret Craftsman) both feel much MORE snug (but not uncomfortable) than the normal Macquarie and chestnut Craftsman

I think if I stick with this type of sole in the future, I might go up half a size
post #2375 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEMBER View Post
Hey Tez could i trouble you for some more side-by-side comparisons of these two shoes from different angles?

I'm starting to feel that I like the look of the welted sole on Stockmans. Kind of seems too plain from the side without it.



sure, give me 24hrs - travelling!!!
post #2376 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEMBER View Post
Due to these photos, what is the reason that I would size down to 7F or even 7.5F in RMW yearling craftsman when I wear Allen Edmond PA in 8D? Wouldn't the ball of my foot sit in the wrong spot if the length is too short?

After much trial and error, I have found that an 11.5H is the best-fitting size for me in the Craftsmen. The shoes pictured above proved to be too short. YMMV.
post #2377 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan View Post
sure, give me 24hrs - travelling!!!

Thanks! and try to use the same left / left shoe for comparison.. I don't know if it's just me but the black stockman seems to have a lot more texture / detail, but that may just be since your black stockmans aren't brand new.
Starting to wonder if I prefer the welted sole if only for the illusion that it makes the shoe appear longer.
post #2378 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
After much trial and error, I have found that an 11.5H is the best-fitting size for me in the Craftsmen. The shoes pictured above proved to be too short. YMMV.

If they're too short shouldn't you go up in length? You wear 11.5EEE in AE PA but 11.5H in craftsman.. I'm confused why that is when everyone else has to size down 1 in length from their PA size. strange..
post #2379 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan View Post
The full line-up

- Dress Boots in the front

- Cas/semi casual boots in the back


I was surprised how close the browns are. I'm sure when I was in London Store the Chestnut Buckle Boot looked very different to the Chestnut Craftsman

did you used to have another pair of Macqueries? I think I remember this from another post of yours
post #2380 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEMBER View Post
If they're too short shouldn't you go up in length? You wear 11.5EEE in AE PA but 11.5H in craftsman.. I'm confused why that is when everyone else has to size down 1 in length from their PA size. strange..
My feet are strange. I wear a 12.5D in the Cambridge, also on the 5 last, and I've concluded that that is a better fit than my 11.5EEE PAs, which are probably too wide through the balls of the feet. But 11.5G Craftsmen pinch my toes--hence the Hs. But you really have to try for yourself, I'm afraid.
post #2381 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan View Post
I was wearing the French veal Macquaries today.., and it was almost distracting me that they made my feet look smaller. Funny.. I never thought that with the normal Macquaries

Nice pics, Tez. Love those screwed sole Macquaries. A pair of those have just been placed at the top of my wish list.

About the smallness. I had the same experience with my MTO French veal Craftsman with the screwed sole. Even though they are the same size (9.5H) as my Comfort C's, they feel much more snug.

My welted Macquaries and my non-Comfort sole Blaxlands are both 9.5G and they fit perfectly as do all my CC's that are, as I said, 9.5H.

Cheers
post #2382 of 4004
to those with both Comfort Craftsman/Turnout/MTO/whatever and also another non comfort version, can you comment on exactly how much more comfortable the Comfort versions are?

will it be something I miss dearly when my second boot arrives and it's not a Comfort version?
post #2383 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
did you used to have another pair of Macqueries? I think I remember this from another post of yours


wow - yes, first pair I owned

in the back of the cupboard.... :-)
post #2384 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
to those with both Comfort Craftsman/Turnout/MTO/whatever and also another non comfort version, can you comment on exactly how much more comfortable the Comfort versions are?

will it be something I miss dearly when my second boot arrives and it's not a Comfort version?

I have a pair of Gardeners with leather insoles and a pair of Comfort Turnouts, and I can definitely feel the difference. I prefer the Comforts, but it's difficult to quantify how much more comfortable they are and your experience may be different. I posted a question earlier today about the new "dynamic flex comfort" soles that Dingo mentioned, because I honestly don't find either of my RM's very comfortable and they're not my first choice in foot wear if I need to be on my feet all day.
post #2385 of 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEMBER View Post
Thanks! and try to use the same left / left shoe for comparison.. I don't know if it's just me but the black stockman seems to have a lot more texture / detail, but that may just be since your black stockmans aren't brand new. Starting to wonder if I prefer the welted sole if only for the illusion that it makes the shoe appear longer.
If your Buckle Boots are going to be for casual/semi-formal, I would say welted would look OK If I had a clean sheet of paper now... - make the 3 dress boots, all Macquarie * screwed sole, at size 8 - make the 2 Buckle both with welted sole, at size 7.5 * does anyone know if the Macquarie comes in claret.., cant say I've ever seen a pic of that config!? What about a Macquarie in claret with French veal leather??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know