or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 596

post #8926 of 8940
Parts of the story and characters may feel lacking, but visually it was definitely the wildest ride I've personally had at the cinema.
post #8927 of 8940
i heard the same. coincidentally, I felt the same way way about avatar and yet was blown away that I watched it several times in theatres.
post #8928 of 8940
About to watch Blue is the Warmest Colour... Hopefully I can stay focused. Hard to watch movies at home IMO

quick update: Good movie. Slightly underwhelmed considering the rave reviews. Enjoyed the ending.
Edited by wizzeak - 4/16/14 at 9:34pm
post #8929 of 8940

Watched "This Must Be The Place" last night with Sean Penn. Well, he didn't actually watch it with me....

 

I was expecting something slightly more existential... expecting a much bigger arc....the story was so slow and the dialogue so mumbly, you would expect some big philophical ideas to come in and make up for it. Only slightly achieved.  Penn was great in it, but its certainly the kind of film that you wouldn't be able to get a lot of people to sit down and watch with you, and keep their interest...

post #8930 of 8940
Gravity was basically a B movie script, but looked really good on 3D IMAX. Avatar could not be saved by 3D IMAX. A truly dreadful film.
post #8931 of 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post

Gravity was basically a B movie script, but looked really good on 3D IMAX. Avatar could not be saved by 3D IMAX. A truly dreadful film.

Now youve gone and done it...que mr. birdman to come in here and cry fowl
Edited by OmniscientCause - Yesterday at 5:46 pm
post #8932 of 8940

+1 on Avatar; not sure why everyone sung it praises... Cameron was once a visionary director but Avatar is just poor. Watched it at the cinema; not going to make the same mistake for the sequels.

post #8933 of 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

Now youve gone and done it...que mr. birdman to come in here and cry fowl

Well he's not entirely wrong, the script could have used some punching up, but seeing it in IMAX 3D was truly amazing.

And yeah, Avatar was just crap.
post #8934 of 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoni View Post
 

+1 on Avatar; not sure why everyone sung it praises... Cameron was once a visionary director but Avatar is just poor. Watched it at the cinema; not going to make the same mistake for the sequels.

 

I agree as well, maybe poor is not the fair word to use though. It was a good movie, but nowhere close to great imo. It used all the themes we have already seen from Cameron(if you've seen Aliens you can skip this movie lol), was very predictable too.

 

I have watched Riddick2013 and it didn't live up to my expectations. It was watchable but it was nowhere near the awesomeness of Pitch Black. It was the worst part so far. I liked the blonde though, yeah I enjoyed it because of the boobs.


Edited by wojt - Today at 2:45 am
post #8935 of 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


If you haven't seen Gravity from last year yet try to seek it out in 3D, there might be a few theaters still showing it.


Noted. Normally I would have avoided it, but maybe it is Worth seeing in 3D. I don't think Avatar had any kind of life-changing characters or script, but visually it did take me to another place. Isn't that what films are for? Riding on your very own dragon through floating islands in the sky?

post #8936 of 8940
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

I agree as well, maybe poor is not the fair word to use though. It was a good movie, but nowhere close to great imo. It used all the themes we have already seen from Cameron(if you've seen Aliens you can skip this movie lol), was very predictable too.

I have watched Riddick2013 and it didn't live up to my expectations. It was watchable but it was nowhere near the awesomeness of Pitch Black. It was the worst part so far. I liked the blonde though, yeah I enjoyed it because of the boobs.

Of course avatar was predictable that script has been used at least 2 times in the last 20 or so years once with the movie of the year.

It was visually stunning which all Cameron movies are, but it didn't warrant multiple watches in theaters like some of my roommates at the time had done. I also did not see it in 3d and try to avoid 3d at all costs. It's a cheap gimmick and I wish it would go away.

I did see gravity in 3d but that's because it was the only option.
post #8937 of 8940

3D movies are failing and will slowly be phased out but for a few spectacles like Avatar and Gravity. Audiences don't want them enough to warrant the extra cost. 3D TV has been a non-starter.

 

lefty

post #8938 of 8940
Watched the cabin in the woods. Wasn't quite sure what to expect but I enjoyed it. Also, I've got the hots for the girl from House of Cards...so that was nice.

A good horror movie for someone who doesn't care for horror movies (because they usually suck, not because I am scarred) but recognizes the tropes well enough to make it funny. A nice way to make the absurd characters/situations/monsters. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I lolled hard at the bit where the group decides to stick together, the controllers freak out and send in some gas, and then Chris Hemsworth says "Nah, We should totally split up"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

3D movies are failing and will slowly be phased out but for a few spectacles like Avatar and Gravity. Audiences don't want them enough to warrant the extra cost. 3D TV has been a non-starter.

lefty

Thank god for that.
post #8939 of 8940

thank god idd

post #8940 of 8940
I like cheap horror movies. The Paranormal Activity series is a good example.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately