or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 462

post #6916 of 9941
the only movie i think i really liked the 3D in, was the most recent spiderman.
post #6917 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

There's this great cinema in Berlin that shows pretty much everything non-dubbed and non-subbed. Unfortunately, they always show the 3D version if available. I think I'll also give it a try, but generally I'm no fan at all of 3D. It adds something in, as said above, slow-paced sequences. Snowfall/rain can also look stunning. But once there are quick cuts and quick movements, it just looks wrong. And when they begin to 3D-ify old videos, like they did with some old Wall Street videos in The Great Gatsby, it just looks ridiculous.

I opted for 2D for Gatsby (which was Ok, not great but not terrible). I'm pretty sure I would have found the 3D stuff intrusive and distracting (in a film that already has a few other intrusive, distracting gimmicks*). In 2D, there were a few moments of "oh, that shot clearly was set up that way to cater to 3D", but on the whole it was fine from that perspective.

I'm not a big fan of unnecessary framing devices and reliance on narrative voice-overs, both of which the movie uses as crutches.
post #6918 of 9941
Quite honestly, I think the movie failed. Really, I wouldn't know how to recreate the intenseness of the novel in 120 minutes of motion picture, but the plot is extremely uncreative. It basically just showed the main events of the novel, mostly 1:1 as in the novel (including the dialogues), and connected them by a narrative voice-over. Disappointing.
Did it also bug you that Gatsby's suit and hair was pretty much dry hardly a minute after it was soaking wet?
post #6919 of 9941
i liked the one with robert redford. never read the book.
post #6920 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Quite honestly, I think the movie failed. Really, I wouldn't know how to recreate the intenseness of the novel in 120 minutes of motion picture, but the plot is extremely uncreative. It basically just showed the main events of the novel, mostly 1:1 as in the novel (including the dialogues), and connected them by a narrative voice-over. Disappointing.
Did it also bug you that Gatsby's suit and hair was pretty much dry hardly a minute after it was soaking wet?
I think that's fair. I went in with pretty low expectations, which I helped temper my reaction. I didn't particularly notice the insta-drying thing, but there were certainly a number of occasions when the film's slavery to DiCaprio's physical attractiveness as a visual reference point hamstrung it. I thought his performance was OK, but the way the film was put together put him in a pretty bad position. I also wasn't crazy about (and my girlfriend absolutely hated) the recurring words-on-the-screen thing. That and the general writing-in-the-sanitarium framing device (as well as the voice-over, which as I mentioned is a pet peeve) came off as a really forced effort to show they were "honoring" the novel's brilliant prose despite being wholly incapable of replicating its magic. I know bupkis about film-making, but it seems to me they would have been better off just owning the fact that movie would have to be a different kind of animal and trying to make something that worked better on its own terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i liked the one with robert redford. never read the book.

I recommend the book. The craftsmanship of the writing is really great. Although I have not read it in years and am probably due for a re-read.
post #6921 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I think that's fair. I went in with pretty low expectations, which I helped temper my reaction. I didn't particularly notice the insta-drying thing, but there were certainly a number of occasions when the film's slavery to DiCaprio's physical attractiveness as a visual reference point hamstrung it. I thought his performance was OK, but the way the film was put together put him in a pretty bad position. I also wasn't crazy about (and my girlfriend absolutely hated) the recurring words-on-the-screen thing. That and the general writing-in-the-sanitarium framing device (as well as the voice-over, which as I mentioned is a pet peeve) came off as a really forced effort to show they were "honoring" the novel's brilliant prose despite being wholly incapable of replicating its magic. I know bupkis about film-making, but it seems to me they would have been better off just owning the fact that movie would have to be a different kind of animal and trying to make something that worked better on its own terms.
Agreed. I think it's one of those novels where a 1:1 adaption to a movie doesn't work out.

And yes, the novel is fantastic. It's also "quite" short, so you'll be through it in a handful of hours.
post #6922 of 9941
i will consider reading it. it better be good.
post #6923 of 9941
Consider? Dude. There's nothing to consider, unless your mind works in false ways.
post #6924 of 9941
my mind works in many odd ways. but no false ways.
post #6925 of 9941
So, I decided to watch Iron Man 3 today. The 3D didn't bug me as much as expected, but I certainly could have lived without it.

The movie is an above-average entertaining movie. A few laughs, action, definitely satisfies the little boy in each of us. The end was too cliché, but whatever.
post #6926 of 9941

Just saw the great gatsby on cinema. Absolutely loved it, one of the best movies I have seen this year. That and Django for sure. Saw it in 3D, so great!

 

A movie everyone needs to see. 

post #6927 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Just saw the great gatsby on cinema. Absolutely loved it, one of the best movies I have seen this year. That and Django for sure. Saw it in 3D, so great!

A movie everyone needs to see.
What did you like about it that much? Have you read the novel?
post #6928 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post


What did you like about it that much? Have you read the novel?

I like the effects and the details in the movie. I look at very small things, just like the movie Brideshead Revisited.

 

The acting is great, top level. The music is maybe a 50 % from my part, but in the same way I think it's cool to bring in modern music in to a ''old style'' movie.

 

A movie you must see :) you won't be disappointed

post #6929 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

I like the effects and the details in the movie. I look at very small things, just like the movie brideshead revisited.


The acting is great, top level. The music is maybe a 50 % from my part, but in the same way I think it's cool to bring in modern music in to a ''old style'' movie.


A movie you must see smile.gif you won't be disappointed
Ok. See above, I've seen it and wasn't convinced. But tastes differ and I was genuinely interested in what aspects you enjoyed, FWIW.
post #6930 of 9941
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

The movie is an above-average entertaining movie. A few laughs, action, definitely satisfies the little boy in each of us.

that is exactly what i expect it to do. fun entertainment. nothing more nothing less. hope to get to see it tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately