or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 422

post #6316 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Not sure if the endings are any different (saw the Spielberg movie on TV late at night a long time ago), but I only recall the book and the radio broadcast.

Endings are all the same. And that's the problem. It would be like remaking Voyage to the Moon and still using a rocket launch and no space suits and fighting moon men with umbrellas. I can forgive it in the original and even appreciate the artistry of it for the time period. But unless you're fucking dumb you can't suspend disbelief when an alien civilization a million years more advanced than us gets taken down by a virus. It's dumb for the 21st century.
post #6317 of 10298
Well, I disagree. I think it's perfectly plausible. Accidents and mistakes certainly happen, especially during a War of the World.

The idea that since they would likely have special suits that they would be invulnerable to viruses goes against everything that's been our experience here on earth in much more controlled situations.
post #6318 of 10298

Did you not see their faces? How would you get a gas mask to fit over that without any leaks?

post #6319 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Well, I disagree. I think it's perfectly plausible. Accidents and mistakes certainly happen, especially during a War of the World.

The idea that since they would likely have special suits that they would be invulnerable to viruses goes against everything that's been our experience here on earth in much more controlled situations.

If you actually think it's plausible, and are not just being contrary, then you are a dummy.
post #6320 of 10298
I agree that mistakes do happen during war, but I would like to believe a highly advanced race from another planet would take enough time to study the earth and have knowledge of these possible viruses they could run into.
post #6321 of 10298
Regardless, I don't remember what happens in the Spielberg movie but in the book the disease stuff is explained such that the ending has more meaning than an end to the lazerz and the beginning of the credits.

I don't know how you could think it implausible anyway considering how little is revealed about the nature of the aliens in the movie. You're attributing human traits to an alien race and then saying it's silly that they don't behave like humans.

Might as well complain about, say, Predator (like some dopey critics did) because the predator didn't just zap Arnold instead of fighting him in hand to hand combat.
Edited by why - 2/25/13 at 1:51pm
post #6322 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Regardless, I don't remember what happens in the Spielberg movie but in the book the disease stuff is explained such that the ending has more meaning than an end to the lazerz and the beginning of the credits.

I don't know how you could think it implausible anyway considering how little is revealed about the nature of the aliens in the movie. You're attributing human traits to an alien race and then saying it's silly that they don't behave like humans.

Might as well complain about, say, Predator (like some dopey critics did) because the predator didn't just zap Arnold instead of fighting him in hand to hand combat.

Again, I have no problem with the book. I love the book. But it was written in 1898. That's the best human knowledge could figure out at the time, and maybe if Spielberg had set the movie in that time frame it would have been ok.

Doesn't matter about the nature of the aliens. You can't perfect interstellar travel and not figure out how to protect against 19th century germ theory. It's just not plausible.

The predator's decision to engage in hand-to-hand combat wasn't a technological or knowledge limitation, it was the Predator's cultural code of conduct to do so. That's fine. There is no possible justification of an alien cultural code of conduct not to take the alien equivalent of Airborne before beginning your annihilation of all life on Earth.
post #6323 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Again, I have no problem with the book. I love the book. But it was written in 1898. That's the best human knowledge could figure out at the time, and maybe if Spielberg had set the movie in that time frame it would have been ok.

There is no possible justification of an alien cultural code of conduct not to take the alien equivalent of Airborne before beginning your annihilation of all life on Earth.

I'm not referring specifically to some 'cultural code of conduct'. I'm referring to their nature -- you're not even aware of the humanity you're ascribing to them or else you wouldn't be saying things like the above.

I don't think you remember the book very well. Their failure due to infections had little to do with human knowledge of germ theory at the time the book was written. A major theme (common to books written during the Industrial Revolution) of the book was the contempt the Martians had for nature and how they believed they had bested it a long time ago. This turns out to be their hubris.

And I have no idea how setting the movie in 1898 would change the way infections are transmitted or how advanced the Martians were.
Edited by why - 2/25/13 at 2:22pm
post #6324 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

I'm not referring to some 'cultural code of conduct'. I'm referring to their nature -- you're not even aware of the humanity you're ascribing to them or else you wouldn't be saying things like the above.

I was differentiating it from the movie Predator. The Predator's cultural code of conduct was what prompted him to fight Arnold hand-to-hand.
Quote:
I don't think you remember the book very well. Their failure due to infections had little to do with human knowledge of germ theory at the time the book was written. A major theme (common to books written during the Industrial Revolution) of the book was the contempt the Martians had for nature and how they believed they had bested it a long time ago. This turns out to be their hubris.

And again, I have no issue with the book.
Quote:
And I have no idea how setting the movie in 1898 would change the way infections are transmitted or how advanced the Martians were.

It wouldn't change any of those things, it would change my perception of it. I can forgive an 1898 book, or a movie based in the time period of 1898, that doesn't realize aliens would not be susceptible to Earth germs. I cannot forgive a 2005 film of the same offense.

It's like Independence Day. It's no more plausible that an advanced alien civilization wouldn't have the alien equivalent of Mcafee on their mothership than alien invaders wouldn't have the biological equivalent. It's lazy screenwriting. It's the deus ex machina that pretends humanity has a chance in the face of an extraterrestrial invasion.
post #6325 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

It wouldn't change any of those things, it would change my perception of it. I can forgive an 1898 book, or a movie based in the time period of 1898, that doesn't realize aliens would not be susceptible to Earth germs. I cannot forgive a 2005 film of the same offense.

How does this make any sense? I'm completely dumbfounded as to how changing the setting of a movie to 1898 somehow changes the physical reality as it's understood in 2005.
post #6326 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

How does this make any sense? I'm completely dumbfounded as to how changing the setting of a movie to 1898 somehow changes the physical reality of 2005.

It doesn't change the physical reality. Did you not read my post? I said it changes my perception of the story. It's like reading any old story that has some fact wrong. That the fact is wrong doesn't make me enjoy it less because the author didn't know any better. Spielberg can't use that excuse. Spielberg knew, or should have known, that germs will not stop an alien invasion. That he chose to ignore that fact took me out of the movie and caused me to dislike his film. Understand?
post #6327 of 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

It doesn't change the physical reality. Did you not read my post? I said it changes my perception of the story. It's like reading any old story that has some fact wrong. That the fact is wrong doesn't make me enjoy it less because the author didn't know any better. Spielberg can't use that excuse. Spielberg knew, or should have known, that germs will not stop an alien invasion. That he chose to ignore that fact took me out of the movie and caused me to dislike his film. Understand?

Did you not read your own post? You wrote:

I can forgive an 1898 book, or a movie based in the time period of 1898, that doesn't realize aliens would not be susceptible to Earth germs.
post #6328 of 10298
Silver Linings Playbook, Argo, Safety Not Guaranteed
post #6329 of 10298
Just got back a little while ago from seeing "The Gatekeepers." For those of you not familiar with it, it is a documentary centered on interviews with retired heads of Shin Bet, the domestic security agency of Israel. Although they were all obviously tough men with a streak of ruthlessness, they also were also very evidently intelligent, thoughtful, pragmatic men with a certain commitment to humanitarian principles. I would recommend it most highly to anyone who is interested in these matters. A definite "A" in my book!
post #6330 of 10298
Flight.......
Eh...really don't see what all the fuss was about!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately