or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 421

post #6301 of 10281
Skipped watching the Oscars in favorite of eating tacos, ice cream, and seeing Silver Linings Playbook, which I thought was a better movie than Argo.
post #6302 of 10281
where are you watching SLP and also eating tacos and ice cream?
post #6303 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

where are you watching SLP and also eating tacos and ice cream?

Unfortunately not all at the same time. But I did drink beer while watching SLP.
post #6304 of 10281
ahhhh i see. hoping i can watch SLP before it hits dvd
post #6305 of 10281

Watched American Beauty last night, yes I know that it's an old movie, but it's a very nice movie. I think most of you watched this film.

post #6306 of 10281
Watched Dark Skies in the theater today. Yes it's cheesey but this and the paranormal activity movies are still a hundred times better and scarier than dreck like the Texas Chainsaw remake.
post #6307 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Watching War of the Worlds the Speilberg/Cruise version. It's very good but the ending is so fucking terrible. Speilberg hasn't ended a movie properly since close encounters. The endings are always such a fucking cop-out.

I wish someone would do a fan edit of this. Vaporize Cruise and cut that screaming brat out of it. Better yet, nuke everyone. Nuke Spielberg in effigy and make the Martians win.
post #6308 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

I wish someone would do a fan edit of this. Vaporize Cruise and cut that screaming brat out of it. Better yet, nuke everyone. Nuke Spielberg in effigy and make the Martians win.

You both know that you can't really blame spielberg for the ending of WOW...its a book and thats how it ends.

I guess I have some downloading to do over the next few weeks. I saw a decent amount of movies in theater this year but only one I saw in best picture was argo.
post #6309 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

You both know that you can't really blame spielberg for the ending of WOW...its a book and thats how it ends.

I guess I have some downloading to do over the next few weeks. I saw a decent amount of movies in theater this year but only one I saw in best picture was argo.


A couple problems with this.

1. My main problem was not with how the aliens are defeated. As you said, that's the book and that's fine. My issue was with the pukingly-sweet ending of the whole family being reunited up in Boston, including the son who ran headfirst into an attack on the aliens. Total weak sauce. Total emotional manipulative bullshit, just like every film of Spielberg's in the last twenty years.

2. You're right the book ended the same way, and for something written in the 19th century that's a fine way to end the book. But this movie was 2005. We know more now than we did then. And it's no longer plausible that an alien race that rides lightning bolts through space and can otherwise entirely wipe us out wouldn't have a bio-hazard suit to keep out germs. That's a horribly dated idea.

Frankly, as I've said before, if aliens come to kill us we will have no chance whatsoever. Any alien invasion movie where humanity survives is simply dumb.
post #6310 of 10281
FINALLY watched Skyfall last night. Gotta say, i was pretty pleased with it. JB is just a fuckin great actor.
post #6311 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhoff View Post

It is a six part series. I'd recommend that you set time aside to watch it all in one sitting.

thanks, ill try and work that out for a saturday night or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

I really liked Django

what not to like?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Trust me.

will add to netflix. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

May I respectfully recommend these 2 books:
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account Miklos Nyiszli
Five Chimneys: The Story of Auschwitz: Olga Lengyel

im not a huge reader, so no promises, but ill try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post

Did not see Kane until last year even though No. 1 on just about every list.
Mind blowing in so many ways.

i also only watched it pretty recently, i loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozah View Post

gunna watch shawshank redemption soon.

first time? thats one of my favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

FINALLY watched Skyfall last night. Gotta say, i was pretty pleased with it. JB is just a fuckin great actor.

nod[1].gif
post #6312 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

A couple problems with this.

1. My main problem was not with how the aliens are defeated. As you said, that's the book and that's fine. My issue was with the pukingly-sweet ending of the whole family being reunited up in Boston, including the son who ran headfirst into an attack on the aliens. Total weak sauce. Total emotional manipulative bullshit, just like every film of Spielberg's in the last twenty years.

2. You're right the book ended the same way, and for something written in the 19th century that's a fine way to end the book. But this movie was 2005. We know more now than we did then. And it's no longer plausible that an alien race that rides lightning bolts through space and can otherwise entirely wipe us out wouldn't have a bio-hazard suit to keep out germs. That's a horribly dated idea.

Frankly, as I've said before, if aliens come to kill us we will have no chance whatsoever. Any alien invasion movie where humanity survives is simply dumb.

I'll play devils advocate soyes and no. In theory the aliens came down and planted their machines underground. At that time they were able to walk about freely as the virus had not yet been developed. They saw life on the planet was starting and left with the intent of coming back when it was populated. Because they were there previously one could make the arguement that they were lulled into a false sense of security and or confidence.

Might not be the best argument but it makes some sense I guess.
post #6313 of 10281
I think War of the Worlds is one of the few pieces of sci-fi that doesn't look absurd in retrospect. Given its relative age as well, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.
post #6314 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

I'll play devils advocate soyes and no. In theory the aliens came down and planted their machines underground. At that time they were able to walk about freely as the virus had not yet been developed. They saw life on the planet was starting and left with the intent of coming back when it was populated. Because they were there previously one could make the arguement that they were lulled into a false sense of security and or confidence.

Might not be the best argument but it makes some sense I guess.

Regardless of whether or not that particular virus had been developed they would not wear alien gas masks? You know, like a better version of our space suits that we monkey boys have already invented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

I think War of the Worlds is one of the few pieces of sci-fi that doesn't look absurd in retrospect. Given its relative age as well, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment.

You referring to the book, the '50s movie, or the Spielberg movie?
post #6315 of 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

You referring to the book, the '50s movie, or the Spielberg movie?

Not sure if the endings are any different (saw the Spielberg movie on TV late at night a long time ago), but I only recall the book and the radio broadcast.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately