or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 394

post #5896 of 8925
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post


was about to watch it, yolo recs ?

 

depends on your expectations, it's really a mixed bag. Some vignettes are better than others, the ones that are bad don't really go anywhere and are poorly thought out.

post #5897 of 8925

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata and Haneke's Code Unknown.

 

Tokyo Sonata differs a lot from other Japanese family dramas which is why I love it, very poignant but not in any way restrained. And I always love it when music is foregrounded with actual purpose.

 

Code Unknown is the complete opposite of Tokyo Sonata. It's very subtle in its approach but there is a lot of tension, particularly the opening scene. 

post #5898 of 8925
Thread Starter 
Zero Dark Thirty (Does UBL get it in the end? The suspense is killing me).

IMO, probably the best film of 2012 (not that that means anything but whatever).

So I'm a huge fan of ultra-longform journalism and that's kind of what this was. There wasn't any overt over-dramatizing of the events (insofar as we know). Some of the torture porn was a tad much at times but the dialogue of Dan was pretty spot on and there was a surprising amount of humor throughout the movie (not the torture obviously).

One of the things that really stood out for me is that seeing "the raid" in action you realize just how fucking audacious it all was, I mean, FFS dude. I know how bold it was going in but just being able to "see" it all its like, wow.

That said, the ending was a little dumb and Hollywoodesque but I guess you kind of have to have that. Some of Maya's traits were a little cliche, I felt like there was sometimes a touch to much reliance on shock value throughout the movie but overall it was well-paced and gripping, even though you know exactly how every part of the movie turns out. A SUPER fat Gandolfini as Leon Panetta was pretty lulzy.

When I see Djanjo I'll be done with movies in the cinema for a while other than maybe catching one or two of the Oscar-nominated shorts series playing at one of the art house here, then I'll be clearing out my Netflix queue of 100+ movies into about March. A part of me can't wait for that (That part being my wallet).
Edited by edinatlanta - 1/30/13 at 6:19am
post #5899 of 8925
I watched Taken 2 last night. Say what you will about the movie but the part where he is calls his daughter (in front of the bad guys pointing guns at him AND his wife) to mirror the conversation they had in the first Taken was one of the ballsiest, I-don't-give-a-crap-about-reality scenes ever put to film.
post #5900 of 8925
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Zero Dark Thirty (Does UBL get it in the end? The suspense is killing me).

IMO, probably the best film of 2012 (not that that means anything but whatever).

So I'm a huge fan of ultra-longform journalism and that's kind of what this was. There wasn't any overt over-dramatizing of the events (insofar as we know). Some of the torture porn was a tad much at times but the dialogue of Dan was pretty spot on and there was a surprising amount of humor throughout the movie (not the torture obviously).

One of the things that really stood out for me is that seeing "the raid" in action you realize just how fucking audacious it all was, I mean, FFS dude. I know how bold it was going in but just being able to "see" it all its like, wow.

That said, the ending was a little dumb and Hollywoodesque but I guess you kind of have to have that. Some of Maya's traits were a little cliche, I felt like there was sometimes a touch to much reliance on shock value throughout the movie but overall it was well-paced and gripping, even though you know exactly how every part of the movie turns out. A SUPER fat Gandolfini as Leon Panetta was pretty lulzy.

When I see Djanjo I'll be done with movies in the cinema for a while other than maybe catching one or two of the Oscar-nominated shorts series playing at one of the art house here, then I'll be clearing out my Netflix queue of 100+ movies into about March. A part of me can't wait for that (That part being my wallet).

I'd say that given the alterations about torture being more effective than it was per the CIA director and others in the know, calling it journalism is a complete stretch, and when KB did so, she opened herself up to being a torture apologist.
post #5901 of 8925
i really want to see ZDT. i hope i get to catch it in theaters.
post #5902 of 8925
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I'd say that given the alterations about torture being more effective than it was per the CIA director and others in the know, calling it journalism is a complete stretch, and when KB did so, she opened herself up to being a torture apologist.


Dude, its dramatized so yes, I should have put "journalism" in quotes. but, considering they came by the story through extensive collaboration of sources within the CIA and then tried to present a "factual" story, yes I'd call it "journalism". Would I cite it and reference for other work moving forward no but there's little doubt that it is pretty accurate as to what happened.
post #5903 of 8925
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Dude, its dramatized so yes, I should have put "journalism" in quotes. but, considering they came by the story through extensive collaboration of sources within the CIA and then tried to present a "factual" story, yes I'd call it "journalism". Would I cite it and reference for other work moving forward no but there's little doubt that it is pretty accurate as to what happened.

Well, the issue is that the info gained from torture was often false or misleading and, per the people cited, not pivotal to finding Osama - so it is fairly inaccurate, hence my issue with the "journalism" tag. I could handle it being over dramatized, but Bigelow running around saying it is a piece of journalism when she knows it contains pro-torture falsehoods is what I take issue with and find fairly immoral.
post #5904 of 8925
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

Well, the issue is that the info gained from torture was often false or misleading and, per the people cited, not pivotal to finding Osama - so it is fairly inaccurate, hence my issue with the "journalism" tag. I could handle it being over dramatized, but Bigelow running around saying it is a piece of journalism when she knows it contains pro-torture falsehoods is what I take issue with and find fairly immoral.

facepalm.gif
post #5905 of 8925
This is 40

7/10

Lots of varied reviews about this one.

I like just about anything Apatow does and everything Paul Rudd does. And, Rudd is very funny and not cloying when the going gets rough. This script covers the emotions from A to Z.

As usual, Apatow uses his kids. They're both very good.

Now, to Apatow's Mrs! I'm not sure if Leslie Mann is an unpleasant, whiny bitch, or she is fabulously hot in a screwed up way. In any case, here, she gets the anxiety and misses much of the charm. She's just too much trouble to be married to. At least on her latest screen attempt.

If you're an Apatow fan, you'll stick with it and its long running time. If not, you'll mentally divorce Mann before the first act is done.
post #5906 of 8925
i quite enjoyed it. agree with much of your sentiment, though id give it an 8.
post #5907 of 8925
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

facepalm.gif

Look, you said it was accurate, the CIA said it wasn't. I think I'll believe the CIA.
post #5908 of 8925

Flight.

post #5909 of 8925
^ What was it like?

A typical Denzel Washington film or something more?
post #5910 of 8925
it was pretty good actually, imo. not amazing, but a good enough watch. opening scene and crash sequence were great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately