or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 362

post #5416 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

I just saw "Django Unchained" and strongly disliked it. The comedic violence and incessant use of the dreaded "N-word" got old awfully fast. For all the action in the movie, I found it tedious and actually boring after awhile. Seeing guys getting shot in the balls and rolling around screaming "Oh, fuck!" gets old very quickly, at least to me. I'd give it a D or maybe a D+ if I were in a charitable mood. At least I was consoled by having gone to an early show, so it only cost me $6.

This is the December release that I am most excited about. Tell me you hated Inglourious Basterds so I can think we just have different tastes in movies.
post #5417 of 9942
re: the "N" word. i can understand how that would be put offish to people, not just black people.

but coming from QT, outlandish over the top, even inappropriate things like that, do not surprise me. i almost expect it when i walk into one of his movies. i know he likes offensive things like that, and if i decide to see one of his movies, i am accepting that i may have to see/hear such things. also, i think unfortunately for me, working for so long in downtown bmore, at times hearing that word more times in a hour, and from regular people, not actors, than in the the 3 hours of that movie, i am probably a bit callous to it.

frown.gif
post #5418 of 9942
Quentin Tarantino is the most absolutely awful, despicable director to ever make a mass-market movie in the last two decades. Every single one of his movies is disgusting trash, and what annoys me the most is that he's had an influence on cinema.

The entire concept of 'black comedy' or whatever it is he does it appalling. It just pushes peoples' buttons, and he keeps needing to push harder as his audience becomes further desensitized to his shtick.
post #5419 of 9942
idk, yeah he makes some pretty low brow stuff, but its far from just him. nor do think he is to "blame" for it. also, his dialogues are superb imo.
post #5420 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Quentin Tarantino is the most absolutely awful, despicable director to ever make a mass-market movie in the last two decades. Every single one of his movies is disgusting trash, and what annoys me the most is that he's had an influence on cinema.
The entire concept of 'black comedy' or whatever it is he does it appalling. It just pushes peoples' buttons, and he keeps needing to push harder as his audience becomes further desensitized to his shtick.

You're not only wrong you're so fucking wrong. He knows more about film than you could possibly ever learn and he came about it honestly, by watching these films, not by studying about them in some film class.

Tarantino's films will be remembered (in a positive way) long after you're forgotten. Shit on him all you want but until you write and direct a film I'll pay $10 to go see you're just a hater. From what I vaguely recall in my alcohol induced haze you have terrible fucking taste in film. Go enjoy being a hater, the rest of us will enjoy an awesome movie and outlive you because our insides are not rotting from stewing in hate and self-loathing.
post #5421 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

You're not only wrong you're so fucking wrong. He knows more about film than you could possibly ever learn and he came about it honestly, by watching these films, not by studying about them in some film class.
Tarantino's films will be remembered (in a positive way) long after you're forgotten. Shit on him all you want but until you write and direct a film I'll pay $10 to go see you're just a hater. From what I vaguely recall in my alcohol induced haze you have terrible fucking taste in film. Go enjoy being a hater, the rest of us will enjoy an awesome movie and outlive you because our insides are not rotting from stewing in hate and self-loathing.

Stunning. Agreement between the Birdman and myself, although he sounds like he's had a few gin and tonics.

He's a mega student of film, regularly pays homage to moments and techniques from films past. He's groundbreaking in his use of so many things and the writing is generally superb. He's also managed to resurrect actors who deserved it. His understanding of film is way beyond the comprehension of a small elite especially Why.

The only neg on him is the stupid over the top use of violence in his movies. This I agree with, its rote at this point. I recall a critic saying that Pulp Fiction would put an end to gangster films, while it has not per se, it has certainly weakened their hold and forced them to diversify.

Why is quite wrong about his assessment, other than Jackie Brown he's done some great work.
post #5422 of 9942
hearing the n-word 50 times a day irl made me somewhat immune to it, so that part shouldn't bother me. and I haven't seen a QT movie I haven't enjoyed, and Dicaprio is in my top3 actors of all time.
post #5423 of 9942
"His understanding of film is beyond the comprehension of a few elite."

Hahaha.

Are you serious with this? Tarantino is a purveyor of b-movies, kung fu flicks and spaghetti westerns. He has turned that mix into some entertaining popcorn movies in the case of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I will also give him credit knowing how to build a scene with tension...

but in movies like Django, Bastards, and Death Proof he's just running amok, indulging all kinds of unfortunate instincts.

What is apparently "good dialogue" to most of you sounds to me like QT having conversations with himself. Or rather, conversations he imagines himself having.

Just as a piece of moviemaking, Django is pretty weak offering. The plot meanders, goes on for a half hour after the climax, and cant really decide who should be the protagonist.

Whatever. I could forgive a dud spaghetti western grindhouse romp. Where QT enters the realm of filth is in using slavery and the Holocaust as backdrops for his revenge fantasies. The stuff he puts in here is beyond camp and the tongue in cheek blaxploitation of the seventies. How many shots of lash scars are in this movie? QT is obviously trying to elicit a real emotional reaction from the audience...

for the purpose of setting up a campy kill crazy rampage. Does that bug anyone else? One of the more terrible injustices of modern history is being used as a lazy plot device standing in for character development so audiences can get a guilt free thrill when the hero massacres the bad guys.

Even that cheap trick wouldnt be so bad, but there is sadistic streak that goes so far over the top here. We have a slave that gets torn apart by dogs, a naked negress taken out of a hot box in a plantations Front Yard, a mandingo fight to the death finished by a hammer to the skull, and Leo's monologue about negro phrenology. Im not even talking about more uses of the n-word than any other film in history. There is whole lot of very uncomfortable nastiness with no other purpose than advancing a revenge yarn.

Django kind of simultaneously opens up old wounds and yet cheapens the tragedy by going so far over the top with the unrealistic villainy.

I guess I really cant figure out what kind of film Django is trying to be. Its too sadistic to be camp, and too campy to be any kind of real provocation. My best guess is that QT genuinely has the conscience of a (possibly psychopathic) 15 year old and this is his sincere commentary.
post #5424 of 9942

if you think pulp fiction is on the "campy popcorn-flick" tier then what films do you like, or directors rather, that you would rank higher? I enjoy all kinds of movies from Ghost in the Shell to Mulholland Drive to stuff like the avengers. I dont know how i would rank them, i just like them.

post #5425 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Like you I thought the movie was awful on several levels.
Im curious if you know whether mandingo fighting is a complete fiction.

George MacDonld Frazier (creator of "Flashman") in his historical novel Black Ajax on Tom Molyneux describes a sort of brutal, "pankration"-type fighting conducted among slaves and arranged by their masters. Usually, he's pretty good on his historical facts, so there may be something to it. This was quite a bit earlier than the dramatic date of "Django," however.
post #5426 of 9942
Re-watched Vertigo after about 10 years. Some great neckties in that movie, there is.
post #5427 of 9942
did not read all posts. QT makes good movies. done.
post #5428 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

"His understanding of film is beyond the comprehension of a few elite."
Hahaha.
Are you serious with this? Tarantino is a purveyor of b-movies, kung fu flicks and spaghetti westerns. He has turned that mix into some entertaining popcorn movies in the case of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I will also give him credit knowing how to build a scene with tension...
but in movies like Django, Bastards, and Death Proof he's just running amok, indulging all kinds of unfortunate instincts.
What is apparently "good dialogue" to most of you sounds to me like QT having conversations with himself. Or rather, conversations he imagines himself having.
Just as a piece of moviemaking, Django is pretty weak offering. The plot meanders, goes on for a half hour after the climax, and cant really decide who should be the protagonist.
Whatever. I could forgive a dud spaghetti western grindhouse romp. Where QT enters the realm of filth is in using slavery and the Holocaust as backdrops for his revenge fantasies. The stuff he puts in here is beyond camp and the tongue in cheek blaxploitation of the seventies. How many shots of lash scars are in this movie? QT is obviously trying to elicit a real emotional reaction from the audience...
for the purpose of setting up a campy kill crazy rampage. Does that bug anyone else? One of the more terrible injustices of modern history is being used as a lazy plot device standing in for character development so audiences can get a guilt free thrill when the hero massacres the bad guys.
Even that cheap trick wouldnt be so bad, but there is sadistic streak that goes so far over the top here. We have a slave that gets torn apart by dogs, a naked negress taken out of a hot box in a plantations Front Yard, a mandingo fight to the death finished by a hammer to the skull, and Leo's monologue about negro phrenology. Im not even talking about more uses of the n-word than any other film in history. There is whole lot of very uncomfortable nastiness with no other purpose than advancing a revenge yarn.
Django kind of simultaneously opens up old wounds and yet cheapens the tragedy by going so far over the top with the unrealistic villainy.
I guess I really cant figure out what kind of film Django is trying to be. Its too sadistic to be camp, and too campy to be any kind of real provocation. My best guess is that QT genuinely has the conscience of a (possibly psychopathic) 15 year old and this is his sincere commentary.

Preface, I have not seen Django yet.

You post seems a bit rambling with very little justification for your position except opinion. Someone asked who you rate higher in the genre, I'd second that.

I posted he has an in depth understanding of film, which I believe he does. I base that on having heard him interviewed and hearing his observations, and hearing the observations of actors that have worked with him. And also in his films, where I see the intention behind subtle choices.

I also think you belief about modern history as a plot device is misguided. Setting is always a plot device. What else could it be? It is part of what defines the boundaries of the plot.

I do agree his use of violence and rampage is stupid and over the top and that he squanders his talent on that kind of masturbation. But I also think your dislike is pretty over the top too. The guy has talent, maybe we have different thoughts on how much, but can we agree he is a talented director?
post #5429 of 9942
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

Quentin Tarantino is the most absolutely awful, despicable director to ever make a mass-market movie in the last two decades. Every single one of his movies is disgusting trash, and what annoys me the most is that he's had an influence on cinema.
The entire concept of 'black comedy' or whatever it is he does it appalling. It just pushes peoples' buttons, and he keeps needing to push harder as his audience becomes further desensitized to his shtick.

That's not true. Reservoir Dogs was pretty good. It's just everything since then that has sucked. It really is low rent stuff.
post #5430 of 9942

Upside down, anyone who has seen it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Movies Are You Watching Lately