or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 854

post #12796 of 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post




Condorman is an early '80s Disney movie that's part James Bond and part Pink Panther. It's not good by an objective standard, but I remember enjoying it as a wee lad. I suppose it's held up as best it can. The "special effects" are terrible, but the characters are decent. And Michael Crawford is pretty charismatic as the lead. The score by Henry Mancini is also not terrible.

5 dead bodies. Cane-machine-gun fu, Fake Porsche fu, gratuitous Gypsies. 2 stars.

 

Saw this movie in the cinema when I was a wee lad, too. Loved it.

 

As you say, special effects are nothing, well, special but it was an enjoyable, entertaining movie. I'm sure that my kids would love it if I showed it to them now.

post #12797 of 14455
So apparently Ryan Gosling confirmed he's going to be in Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel. I'd rather seen Jake Gyllenhaal (has already done great stuff with Villeneuve) or maybe Sam Rockwell (great in Moon).

As for the director, Denis Villeneuve actually gives me higher hopes for this than if Ridley were directing it at this point...
post #12798 of 14455
Just because gosling is signed now doesn't mean jg can't also be attached as the antagonist
post #12799 of 14455
Maybe not. What I really meant was I'd rather see one of the two guys mentioned as the protagonist, which seems unlikely with Gosling attached.

If it was Gyllenhaal or Rockwell as a slightly dishevelled Blade Runner retiring Gosling as a male Pris, that could actually work nicely.
post #12800 of 14455
Yea that's been the general consensus on IMDb everyone wants jg which I think would be good too. Either way there is still some time.
post #12801 of 14455

Camille Claudel 1915 - Bruno Dumont (2013)

 

 

 

This not a movie, it's an actor's showing all she has. And she has a lot. Juliette Binoche owns this. She is so good, so subtle and she just is this movie. And then she is so pretty! She resembles the real Camille Claudell quite a bit,as well.

The story in it self is about an female actor, Camille Claudel, who is paranoid, and how she experience the life in an asylum. It is not a good life.

Her brother, Paul Claudel, is 1000 times as crazy as she, but is regarded sane. I think this is very accurate of the time. 

 

Enjoyed this.

post #12802 of 14455


A plan to kidnap Churchill hatched by the Abwher and picked up by Himmler, using (good) German Paratroopers and a IRA Classics lecturer. Michael Cane Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall lead an interesting cast including Larry Hagman.

Actually seen it a few times not a bad translation of the book into film. 4/5
Edited by Geoffrey Firmin - 11/18/15 at 3:38am
post #12803 of 14455
Is that a true story?
(And my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.)
post #12804 of 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSense View Post

Is that a true story?
(And my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.)

Its as true as WMD's

No work of fiction appears that there were two books written with the characters and only one film.
post #12805 of 14455

Whiplash - Damien Chazelle (2014)

 

 


Never felt so happy being a Scandinavian. This is a world that I thank God I'm not a part of. Little drummerboy needs affection from fatherfigure; problem is that fatherfigure is Stalin. Pity is none of them never discover. Pity no 2 that director doesn't discover and embraces this way of solving problems.

Some nice photos though, mostly in first half. Story is real BS. Actors are just average.

post #12806 of 14455
Just watched the Man from UNCLE. Henry Cavill inspires massive jealousy on my part - he is just too good looking.

post #12807 of 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Al View Post

Camille Claudel 1915 - Bruno Dumont (2013)





This not a movie, it's an actor's showing all she has. And she has a lot. Juliette Binoche owns this. She is so good, so subtle and she just is this movie. And then she is so pretty! She resembles the real Camille Claudell quite a bit,as well.
The story in it self is about an female actor, Camille Claudel, who is paranoid, and how she experience the life in an asylum. It is not a good life.
Her brother, Paul Claudel, is 1000 times as crazy as she, but is regarded sane. I think this is very accurate of the time. 

Enjoyed this.

Great reviews def going to watch this now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Al View Post

Whiplash - Damien Chazelle (2014)






Never felt so happy being a Scandinavian. This is a world that I thank God I'm not a part of. Little drummerboy needs affection from fatherfigure; problem is that fatherfigure is Stalin. Pity is none of them never discover. Pity no 2 that director doesn't discover and embraces this way of solving problems.
Some nice photos though, mostly in first half. Story is real BS. Actors are just average.

Completely disagree with you here. wondering whether I can now watch Camille Claudel 1915

These reviews drive me mad

This is where a numerical value would help
post #12808 of 14455
Camille Claudel is definitely worth watching. 7.5 out of 8.25.

I haven't seen Whiplash.
post #12809 of 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Completely disagree with you here.
+1

The new Bond movie was ok. Better than Skyfall (which I didn't like at all--completely absurd story while trying too hard to be serious). But not that good either. Anyway, saw it in an IMAX and the action scenes were pretty good with the immersive sound etc, but too forced.
post #12810 of 14455
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Better than Skyfall (which I didn't like at all--completely absurd story while trying too hard to be serious).

 

Agree on Skyfall. I enjoyed some of it, but the whole nefarious plot by the villain to bring down MI5 was ridiculous. There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's farce. For the dastardly plan to succeed, it relied upon so many different coincidences, to one person deciding to do this, to other people following this other particular path and so on. There were simply too many points at which a person might have made a slightly different decision and, if they had, the whole plan would have fallen to pieces.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What Movies Are You Watching Lately