or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What Movies Are You Watching Lately
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Movies Are You Watching Lately - Page 845

post #12661 of 14432
Cable last night




Last time I went on a Marx Brother's binge was at the turn of the century. Total anarchic comedy and holy mother Chico and Harpo their musical ability. In particular Harpo doing Blue Moon, incredible. A fantastic comedy that stands the test of time. 5/5

Tonight their playing Go West which is my favourite Marx Brothers film.
post #12662 of 14432


Am on the Marx Bros binge as well. Haven't watched them in a long, long time.

Chuckling away on the couch, their one liners are like being slapped on the back by an old friend.

The best part is watching the 14 year old in hysterics.
post #12663 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

It's almost a shame you saw this before the original foreign film. The ending is completely different, and so much better in the original. Try to watch it anyway, even though you may feel the first 2/3rds is treading the same ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Yeah, you kind of fucked that one up, dude. Almost no point in watching original now.

lefty

aww shucks, well, you see, ive already kind of, you know, watched the "shitty" version that i happened to enjoy. and plus i enjoy jeff bridges and this may be the first sandra bullock film i enjoyed in part because she ended up disappearing for most of the film
post #12664 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

I had never heard of it and just came across it in a list of "cool movies you've probably never heard of". A bit heavy subject matter and not something to watch if you want a pick-me-up that's for sure, but certainly would recommend.

i like heavy thanks got this in the queue
post #12665 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmouse View Post
 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 

Gregory Peck being Gregory Peck in this pacifist western where he stands up for his beliefs despite the pressures of his fiance and dangers of a town with two families about to engage in war.

GP in westerns has never worked for me.  I don't know why.

 

Cheers,

post #12666 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post



Am on the Marx Bros binge as well. Haven't watched them in a long, long time.

Chuckling away on the couch, their one liners are like being slapped on the back by an old friend.

The best part is watching the 14 year old in hysterics.

My son was 7 when he first saw them thought they were crazy then his Grandma turned him on to Chaplin and Keaton.
post #12667 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

My son was 7 when he first saw them thought they were crazy then his Grandma turned him on to Chaplin and Keaton.

I knew he'd love them. Had been meaning to show them at home. Think you need to be old enough to hear the quips and digest them among the slapstick.
post #12668 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ernesto View Post

I knew he'd love them. Had been meaning to show them at home. Think you need to be old enough to hear the quips and digest them among the slapstick.

Interesting how the 'risqué sexual ones' are tempered by the times. Go West which is on tonight has to be one of my favourite comedy films, cracks me up every time and also last night taped this.




Only seen it once thirty years ago at a University party was so.......!

Very very warped film.
post #12669 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

aww shucks, well, you see, ive already kind of, you know, watched the "shitty" version that i happened to enjoy. and plus i enjoy jeff bridges and this may be the first sandra bullock film i enjoyed in part because she ended up disappearing for most of the film

 

Give it a year or two to forget the POS you just watched, then watch the original. It will stick with you forever.

 

lefty

post #12670 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Al View Post

Anna Karenina - Joe Wright (2012)






Here ends my voyage with mr Wright for now. He is just not talented enough to interest me.
The problems he deals with; the conflict between love and social convention, can be very profound and are actually almost impossible to fully explore, but the way he does it is so outdated that it is difficult to connect with the people on screen.

No real person these days has such problems as in this movie, and I'm never quite sure who the movie sympathizes with: Anna, her children, her housebound or with the peasants ( as I gather Tolstoy most identified with). As before Wright has not made up his mind about what kind of movie he wanted to make, resulting in a confusing product. 

The way Wright has made the movie, by staging it in large parts in a theater, seems just strange and it doesn't work for me. And he uses so many effects, so many costumes, so many unmotivated camera movements, so illogical cuttings that the director seems to be without a plan. I think he looses the perspective, and I just feel distant to the characters. This is just no good direction and it is not a good movie.

Ak is a guilty pleasure of mine.


I also saw man from earth when I was a junior in college and remember being completely enthralled in the premise of it. Was super into low budget and indie flicks back then
post #12671 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

i like heavy thanks got this in the queue

Me too in the right situations. It's a great film. I never read too much info beforehand or watch trailers… just enough critique to know if I'll want to check it out. I think I googled "little known cool movies" and found this on someone's recommended list. Enjoy! wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

Ak is a guilty pleasure of mine.


I also saw Man From Earth when I was a junior in college and remember being completely enthralled in the premise of it. Was super into low budget and indie flicks back then

Yeah nothing against low budgets … but some of the "acting", if you can call it that, is painful. Interesting crypto-zoology, crypto-antropology (whatever it is) idea however. From the
little I read going in I think I expected something more like What The Bleep… though. It wasn't, but I still enjoyed the thoughts it got going.
post #12672 of 14432


A comedy with Peter Sellers playing the character of a basic man, so basic and simple minded that some mistake him for genius. I felt like the shtick got old but the movie has its moments for introspection and laughter. Also, Shirley MacLaine is as lovely and cute as she was In the apartment 35 years earlier. Perhaps she is the most charming leading lady I've ever had the pleasure of watching on screen
post #12673 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post



A comedy with Peter Sellers playing the character of a basic man, so basic and simple minded that some mistake him for genius. I felt like the shtick got old but the movie has its moments for introspection and laughter. Also, Shirley MacLaine is as lovely and cute as she was In the apartment 35 years earlier. Perhaps she is the most charming leading lady I've ever had the pleasure of watching on screen


I knew Shirley MacLaine in Atlantis and I didn't like her then.

It is a great film.
post #12674 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Interesting how the 'risqué sexual ones' are tempered by the times. Go West which is on tonight has to be one of my favourite comedy films, cracks me up every time and also last night taped this.




Only seen it once thirty years ago at a University party was so.......!

Very very warped film.

Is this the black and white? Entertainment value at 100%! It's been about 5 years I think I'm ready for another
post #12675 of 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Is this the black and white? Entertainment value at 100%! It's been about 5 years I think I'm ready for another

Indeed it is, couldn't really imagine it in colour to be honest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What Movies Are You Watching Lately