• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List the 'True' Handmade Shoes in this thread.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Lattanzi; Vass, Kiton, Paolo Scafora.

Any others?

Kiton; from what I seen, have an remarkable amount of handwork in it.

Swann

Reaction score
Add Paolo Scafora to your list of RTW handmade shoemakers.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by true handmade?

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
What exactly do you mean by true handmade?

I mean; a shoe that is done entirely by hand.

Every Part of a shoe.

billiebob

Reaction score
Would this include shoes by the above manufacturers done to conract specifications, such as Lattanzi for Jil Sander and Asprey?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been noted before that no shoe is entirely made by hand these days.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
EDIT: Entirely by hand? Argh, go play in traffic. Italian traffic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
This is a challenging question as even the best shoes have some machine work at some point.

I might be tempted to answer Jason Amesbury bespoke as I have seen his entire making process and I am not aware of any machine components. One migh also add Lobb of St. James's, Gaziano bespoke, Suzuki, etc.

This may be similar to shirts were some machine sewing may in fact be a good thing.

Nonk

Reaction score
Agreed about no shoes being entirely handmade.

Apart from possibly some glorified "handicrafts" rubbish produced for fun by some smelly muesli knitting bed wetter.

Shoes are not entirely handmade because they would be shite.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It seems to me that what constitutes a good shoe is how much handwork as a percent of manufacture is employed...but that raises several difficulties:

1. What steps are important?

2. How do you know which steps are handmade?

3. Are there other aspects to quality like sole leather quality, upper leather quality, vendor financial stability, customer service, etc.?

Perhaps the best thing to do is frequent those makes that have a good reputation among the members here and other places and learn as much as possible and focus on brands where there is a consensus on a select group having better style, construction, witnessed durability, etc.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
blah...handmade...blah...blah...Amesbury...blah....
deadhorse-a.gif
baldy[1].gif

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
It's been noted before that no shoe is entirely made by hand these days.

I think the only truly handmade shoes I have ever seen were the Ho Chi Minh sandals worn in Viet Nam. Not many sewing machines out in the jungle. Of course the tires that donated the tread for the soles were in fact made by machine but were hand stitched to the upper.

Perry

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muahahaha - this is exactly the direction I thought this thread would take when I asked Chris "what exactly do you mean by true handmade." Hahaha. Maybe a better question would have been "what are the best shoes with significant hand work."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with aportnoy... geesh, haven't we done these to death? I swear every other new post is something to do with Kiton, Lattanzi, EG/RLPL, or "handwork." I love it as much as the next person, but really... use the search function!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads