Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › One should not wear fahionable jeans over the age of......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One should not wear fahionable jeans over the age of...... - Page 4

post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt
OK - at what age should a man's wardrobe no longer include blue jeans. Or at least no jeans other than basic Levi or Wrangler?
At the age where he comes down with the Senile Virus, moves into a retirement community, wears clip-on sunglasses, and feels compelled to yell at children who walk on his lawn.
post #47 of 78
The problem is that most men over 30 shouldn't be trend chasing hypebeasts. Nothing wrong with wearing jeans that look good. There is a problem with chasing every years trends to impress the ladies like someone in their early 20's. In that case you look either newly divorced and trying to date for the first time in 10 years or even worse, you look like you're trying to look cool to your kids and their friends. If it's a pair of jeans that will look stupid and outdated in 2 or 3 years then it's too hypebeasy. In defense of guys in general, even the ones who are 45 year old hypebeasts aren't half as bad as the women who are the same thing. A 45 year old guy in super trendy jeans and a tee just looks silly. A 45 year old lady in skin tight low rise jeans and a shirt that says hottie in sequins just looks sad, even if she is a hottie. If you're a 45 yaer old woman then you should look at your wardrobe and ask if Britney Spears would wear it. If the answer is yes (maternity clothes excepted if you need them, I hope at 45 you don't) then give it to your daughter or a niece or donate it so some teen girls can get some age appropriate clothing for them.
post #48 of 78
I think older men that wear appropriately fitted designer jeans are much better off than those wearing oversized relax fit with a dated wash. The fit does not have to be slim, or bootcut, or whatever current trend exists for the younger crowd, but having the right "regular" fit and a good modern wash helps tremendously. Brands that most older men cling to, like Wrangler, Levi, Lee, or whatever do have modern cuts and modern washes, however, for whatever reason, when an older guy goes to buy jeans, he buys the same cut and wash he bought 20 years ago.

This generalization, of course, does apply to all age levels and even women, but I've certainly noticed trend among older men.
post #49 of 78
lets just stick old men in some LVCs from the 30s.
post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
lets just stick old men in some LVCs from the 30s.

I'm only 30 but I'll sign up for old man status right now for those jeans.
post #51 of 78
Kiss all the pretty ones goodbye Give everyone a penny that cry You can throw all my tranquil pills away Let my blood pressure go on its way For my autumn's done come My autumn's done come. Done come Let those 'I-don't-care-days' begin I'm tired of holdin' my stomach in No more slinky folk dollars for me I'll take Sears & Roebuck dollars gladly For my autumn's done come My autumn's done come. Done come Bring me water short and scotch tall A big long black cigar that ain't all Hang me a hammock between two big trees Leave me alone, damned! Let me do as I please For my autumn's done come My autumn's done come. Done come.
post #52 of 78
There is nothing wrong with older guys in jeans (and sneakers for that matter). As has been mentioned, it just has to be the right jean.

Here is an image from The Satorialist.

post #53 of 78
now that i think about it, some of the nicest fades ive seen are on old men.... like orange tabs that you can tell they have had since the 70s or 80s.
post #54 of 78
Well I'm 58 and wear Iron Hearts, R & B, Nobody etc. But then, I still surf, so maybe I'm just emotionally and physically immature.
post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthCircle
Well I'm 58 and wear Iron Hearts, R & B, Nobody etc. But then, I still surf, so maybe I'm just emotionally and physically immature.

that's great. Keep on keepin' on!
post #56 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman
The problem is that most men over 30 shouldn't be trend chasing hypebeasts. Nothing wrong with wearing jeans that look good. There is a problem with chasing every years trends to impress the ladies like someone in their early 20's. In that case you look either newly divorced and trying to date for the first time in 10 years or even worse, you look like you're trying to look cool to your kids and their friends. If it's a pair of jeans that will look stupid and outdated in 2 or 3 years then it's too hypebeasy.
In defense of guys in general, even the ones who are 45 year old hypebeasts aren't half as bad as the women who are the same thing. A 45 year old guy in super trendy jeans and a tee just looks silly. A 45 year old lady in skin tight low rise jeans and a shirt that says hottie in sequins just looks sad, even if she is a hottie. If you're a 45 yaer old woman then you should look at your wardrobe and ask if Britney Spears would wear it. If the answer is yes (maternity clothes excepted if you need them, I hope at 45 you don't) then give it to your daughter or a niece or donate it so some teen girls can get some age appropriate clothing for them.
So no one over 30 ought to be fashionable? Why can they wear fashionable suits but not fashionable jeans? ANYONE at ANY age looks terrible if they are a fashion victim.
post #57 of 78
While it doesn't concern jeans, but rather fashion past 30, I have pretty good anecdote. Last week, my contractual law (I don't know if that's a pretty translation, but whatever) teacher came in the class with a slim fitting white shirt, a blazer, a pair slim-fitting pants (though not jeans, it was not really dressy either) and Chucks. It did look totally great on him, and I'd say he's about 35, with not much hair on the front of the head either.

I guess its a matter of confidence and of attitude; if he was acting in the most snobbish way, than his outfit would not look good. I didn't think a law teacher could pull that off, mind you.
post #58 of 78
Holy crap. I am a few years (I think) away from 30, I better hurry up and rotate in as many nice jeans as possible
post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
Looking good! More pics please.
post #60 of 78
Thread Starter 
Let me restate: At what age should one no longer buy and wear distressed jeans from Abercrombie?

What about wearing raw denim, with the faded whiskers/never washed look?

For the record, I'm 39, and wear Levi's basic jeans all the time. I don't however, own anything from Abercrombie. I am however, thinking of taking the plunge and buying some APC Rescues.

What do you think? Are the Rescues perfectly acceptable on a 39 year old, or will I look like I'm trying to be 19?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › One should not wear fahionable jeans over the age of......