or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › billion dollar home
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

billion dollar home - Page 8

post #106 of 125
I would have bought a billion dollar car.
post #107 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
No, but I mean that the comments are hinting at the idea that this guy lacks class as a 3rd world nouveau riche and we know so much better than him on how to spend his money with classical approval.

I definitely think I know how to spend his money better then he does, and I would like to have the opportunity to prove it.
post #108 of 125
New money Americans did very similar things but in a different era. The Vanderbilt house was simply a display of new money wealth, but it did put a lot of people to work.
post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I would have bought a billion dollar car.

I would have preferred a billion dollar backpack.
post #110 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I would have bought a billion dollar car.

billion dollar car:
post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
No, but I mean that the comments are hinting at the idea that this guy lacks class as a 3rd world nouveau riche and we know so much better than him on how to spend his money with classical approval.

I feel confident saying that he does lack class, whether he is a 3rd world noveau riche or 1st world old money. The entire building and design lack class. But it's his money to spend as he wishes.
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE View Post
billion dollar car:

Mine would have more wheels, and therefore more RIMS.
post #113 of 125
The estranged younger brother's response http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...ow/7047776.cms
post #114 of 125
If I was sitting on $50 billion I'd smack up a highrise but somewhere on a nice little FU island. I'm thinking that for a billion you could make a nice little run at buying your own african country or 3. Heck, I bet you could have a serious look at Iceland.
post #115 of 125
600 servants, what does that cost in India? $3 a year?
post #116 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
developing region like India, Singapore, or Oman. Old money really does have a knack for class.

In what world is Singapore a developing country?

Per Capita GDP
4. Singapore
6. USA

Infant Mortality Rate
2. Singapore
33. USA

Life Expectancy
15. Singapore
38. USA

Greatest Proportion of Millionaire Households
1. Singapore
7. USA

Most Competitive Nations in the World
1. Singapore
3. USA

Source: Varied, usually CIA World Factbook, Mercer, Wikipedia


As for the comment about old money having class
That's silly, there are classless old and new money just like there are classy old and new money.
post #117 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie View Post
In what world is Singapore a developing country? Per Capita GDP 4. Singapore 6. USA Infant Mortality Rate 2. Singapore 33. USA Life Expectancy 15. Singapore 38. USA Greatest Proportion of Millionaire Households 1. Singapore 7. USA Most Competitive Nations in the World 1. Singapore 3. USA Source: Varied, usually CIA World Factbook, Mercer, Wikipedia As for the comment about old money having class That's silly, there are classless old and new money just like there are classy old and new money.
+1... Stephen is thoughtful in making his points but I'm afraid that I have to agree with you on both counts. Old money was new money at some point. Many tasteless and immoral things have been done by either designations, at all periods of their wealth acquisition. I remember in the early 90s when you'd buy Emerging Market funds, Singapore was still considered one of the Asian "tigers." It's come into its own and really isn't what one would call developing, as far as I or anyone living there can tell.... at least in the classic sense of the word. There just isn't the massive disparity of wealth in Singapore that there is in Oman and India... their average quality of life, literacy rate, and fertility rate are very "western."
post #118 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Canuker View Post
If I was sitting on $50 billion I'd smack up a highrise but somewhere on a nice little FU island. I'm thinking that for a billion you could make a nice little run at buying your own african country or 3. Heck, I bet you could have a serious look at Iceland.
I like the idea of an "FU island". Just a little FU to all the plebes who think they're hot shit just because they own an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
The estranged younger brother's response http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...ow/7047776.cms
"The new building will be in the flight path of planes taking off and landing at the airport," HAHAHA, I love the idea that not only his house the biggest FU to everyone he lives near, but it will actually inconvenience transportation.
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie View Post
In what world is Singapore a developing country?
It's a country that didn't have wealth too long ago, and thus "old money. " Ditto Oman.
post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie View Post
In what world is Singapore a developing country?
It's first world ... I certainly enjoy visiting. But ... would I want to live there? No.

I remember asking a Singaporean friend how he liked his new apartment. He answered, "The government tells me that I like it very much."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › billion dollar home