or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats - Page 5

post #61 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Don't know where else you'd find that cheaper. Banana republic has some black peacoats in stock now for $250. Might get lucky and find a 20% day at Macy's when you use your Macy's card plus a possible 10% extra if you sign up for one.

Macy's sell BR stuff?
post #62 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
I love the look of BR's Chesterfield:

But I'm concerned about BR's quality and the ability to find one at discount this season (for example, a remaindered one on eBay is going for , but unfortunately only in tan (this will be my only dress coat for the time being), and apparently less fitted:

A third option I'm considering is this mystery auction! Any advice?

I'm also torned between that jacket and two other Banana Republic jackets. Honestly, I don't think their qualities are bad. Their stuff are relatively affordable even for a university student like me. Here are the other two BR coats:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...445&pid=414879

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...445&pid=433335

I do have some questions for the experts here. Other than the price difference, what are the major differences between the coat? Like what does three quarter coat me? If you look at the fabric of the three quarter coat and compare it to the coat in the first link, you'll notice that the first one's fabric has a more fuzzy and less formal look than the Heritage one. The Heritage one has a smoother fabric look if I'm making any sense here. What do you guys think? Which one seems more appropriate for a semi-formal to formal setting?
post #63 of 163
Three quarter simply refers to its length. The first one is better suited for formal events since it has peaked lapels and especially because of the velvet collar. However, I don't think it'll be that big a deal which one you choose since one takes off his/her coat once inside anyways. The fabric is an even lesser concern. As long as it keeps you warm, it doesn't matter how "fuzzy" it is.
post #64 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
Three quarter simply refers to its length. The first one is better suited for formal events since it has peaked lapels and especially because of the velvet collar. However, I don't think it'll be that big a deal which one you choose since one takes off his/her coat once inside anyways. The fabric is an even lesser concern. As long as it keeps you warm, it doesn't matter how "fuzzy" it is.

If you were to choose one of the three coats, which one would you pick?
post #65 of 163
There is a store just south of downtown, Morris & Sons. They have many topcoats in a great range of sizes. They mainly sell Brioni, marked down at least half or 75% off. In January ( I think) they have an enormous sale and the prices will be crazy good. Best bang for your buck if you have to have one now, or even better value if you can get by until Jan. I would verify when the sale is, to be sure. They have other brands and also some Zilli outerwear.
I suggest getting a better coat at a terrific price rather than buy one meant to sell for 500.00. Topcoat construction has gotten very cheap. Topcoats cost more to make, construction and cloth, and too many makers are skimping. The lower priced coats aren't worth the investment IMO. Topcoats last a long time. Get a good one. No regrets.
post #66 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Which overcoat are you wearing? You got a better picture of it?

Ceasare Attolini
Navy with light Herringbone
Look at, "What are you wearing today"
I lighted the pic a bit to see it better
post #67 of 163
I just picked up a medium grey wool heringbone chesterfield from H&M for $100. Great deal and looks really nice even if the quality isn't quite there.
post #68 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
Ceasare Attolini
Navy with light Herringbone
Look at, "What are you wearing today"
I lighted the pic a bit to see it better

I just checked out the pic and the coat looks nice. How much did you paid for the jacket?
post #69 of 163
More response for the BR coats please?
post #70 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
More response for the BR coats please?

Is that a direct order, Sargent?
post #71 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
More response for the BR coats please?

I'm not a fan of BR for an essential item such as a top coat.

I suggest solid Navy of the highest quality you can afford. It will last you for years if you take care of it.
I would suggest a visit to Morris and Son's.

Camel is also another excellent color selection.

Also, I think this is quite nice, by the same maker as mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6150-Cesare-...ayphotohosting

This is beyond what you want to spend, so I would visit Morris and Son.
post #72 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Is that a direct order, Sargent?

lol

Sure
post #73 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
I'm not a fan of BR for an essential item such as a top coat.

I suggest solid Navy of the highest quality you can afford. It will last you for years if you take care of it.
I would suggest a visit to Morris and Son's.

Camel is also another excellent color selection.

Also, I think this is quite nice, by the same maker as mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6150-Cesare-...ayphotohosting

This is beyond what you want to spend, so I would visit Morris and Son.

Yea that coat is definitely beyond what I'm planning to spend.
post #74 of 163
With a little work you can come across great deals on outerwear on ebay. A great looking Chester Barrie just sold for $30 with only one bid (the bid wasn't mine). Of course, thrift stores will also yield great treasures with a little diligence as well.
post #75 of 163
They sell camel meat in the city where I'm working right now in China.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats