or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good tailor in Vancouver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good tailor in Vancouver? - Page 11

post #151 of 508
i just saw her today, she charged $80 for the total pant make over and told me that just taking pleats out is around $50 but most time it will get up to $80 as it is rarely just a pleat removal. She said $80 was the max for pant work.
post #152 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepo View Post
I just bit the bullet and have Samtani & Son in Langley making me my first MTM shirt. I'll let you know how it turns out. I bought one of his OTR and he altered it, and it's my favourite shirt.

A quick update, I got my MTM today. He's a bit out of the way for those of you in the city, but for the suburbanites, it's better heading out there than to Harry or Holt. The workmanship seems very good. Fits me perfectly. As far as I can tell, he sends it to the Samtani in HK. I'd take pictures, but I don't have a decent mirror. If anyone cares, I'll get the wife to take one.
post #153 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepo View Post
A quick update, I got my MTM today. He's a bit out of the way for those of you in the city, but for the suburbanites, it's better heading out there than to Harry or Holt. The workmanship seems very good. Fits me perfectly. As far as I can tell, he sends it to the Samtani in HK. I'd take pictures, but I don't have a decent mirror. If anyone cares, I'll get the wife to take one.


Would love to see some pictures.
post #154 of 508
Does anyone know of any master tailors looking for an apprentice?
post #155 of 508
What a brilliant thread. I was out celebrating my recent promotion last Friday after work and after a few too many I found myself in a situation where I needed to climb a chain-link fence. Needless to say that in my inebriated state I managed to tear my pants at the pocket. There's about a two inch tear along the seam and fraying of the fabrics along the tear. Is this salvageable? if so, would any tailor be able to fix this? The suit was pretty expensive for me (~$1100) so I don't mind the cost if it'll mean I can fix my pants. Also, my new position at work will require me to wear suits 4-5 times a week. I currently have two suits (the aforementioned suit with the ripped pants, and a Boss suit of roughly the same calibre) but will definetly need more. I'm thinking I'll need at least 3 more suits to begin with, but I've only got about $2000 available. Any recommendations on good suits in the $500-700 range? I'm a total rookie when it comes to suits so I don't even know if there is such a thing. whilst searching for quality tailors in Vancouver on Google, I came across this site which offers online MTM suits: http://www.indochino.com/ Has anyone tried it? Is it worth considering? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #156 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Suited View Post
What a brilliant thread.

I was out celebrating my recent promotion last Friday after work and after a few too many I found myself in a situation where I needed to climb a chain-link fence. Needless to say that in my inebriated state I managed to tear my pants at the pocket. There's about a two inch tear along the seam and fraying of the fabrics along the tear. Is this salvageable? if so, would any tailor be able to fix this? The suit was pretty expensive for me (~$1100) so I don't mind the cost if it'll mean I can fix my pants.

Also, my new position at work will require me to wear suits 4-5 times a week. I currently have two suits (the aforementioned suit with the ripped pants, and a Boss suit of roughly the same calibre) but will definetly need more. I'm thinking I'll need at least 3 more suits to begin with, but I've only got about $2000 available. Any recommendations on good suits in the $500-700 range? I'm a total rookie when it comes to suits so I don't even know if there is such a thing.

whilst searching for quality tailors in Vancouver on Google, I came across this site which offers online MTM suits: http://www.indochino.com/
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth considering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's always tempting to simply say "take the $2000 and buy one good suit you can wear ... save for another later ..." I wonder what your suit budget will be like with your new promotion. Can you afford (looking ahead) to buy a bunch of $2-3,000 suits over time, or is that financially unreasonable?

I think Vancouver has a new H&M store, which might be a good place to start looking for stylish & inexpensive suits.
post #157 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
It's always tempting to simply say "take the $2000 and buy one good suit you can wear ... save for another later ..." I wonder what your suit budget will be like with your new promotion. Can you afford (looking ahead) to buy a bunch of $2-3,000 suits over time, or is that financially unreasonable?

I think Vancouver has a new H&M store, which might be a good place to start looking for stylish & inexpensive suits.

For me I am not sure a $2000 - $3000 suit is better than a $1000-$1500 suit. I find once you can spend enough to get out of the department store fused suit and into a full canvas suit spending more money starts to have demising returns.
post #158 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Suited View Post
What a brilliant thread.

I was out celebrating my recent promotion last Friday after work and after a few too many I found myself in a situation where I needed to climb a chain-link fence. Needless to say that in my inebriated state I managed to tear my pants at the pocket. There's about a two inch tear along the seam and fraying of the fabrics along the tear. Is this salvageable? if so, would any tailor be able to fix this? The suit was pretty expensive for me (~$1100) so I don't mind the cost if it'll mean I can fix my pants.

Also, my new position at work will require me to wear suits 4-5 times a week. I currently have two suits (the aforementioned suit with the ripped pants, and a Boss suit of roughly the same calibre) but will definetly need more. I'm thinking I'll need at least 3 more suits to begin with, but I've only got about $2000 available. Any recommendations on good suits in the $500-700 range? I'm a total rookie when it comes to suits so I don't even know if there is such a thing.

whilst searching for quality tailors in Vancouver on Google, I came across this site which offers online MTM suits: http://www.indochino.com/
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth considering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeez, that's a shame about your suit trousers. You could take them to Joy at Oakridge Tailors (about 40th & Cambie) or Frank at Minichiello's in North Van and have them evaluated as to whether they can be decently repaired. As for new suits, I think I might recommend a different route than that suggested by Doc4. Although there are certainly advantages to seeing in the flesh and trying on a new suit before buying (and Doc4's suggestion makes good sense in this light), I might recommend that you find a good online seller (some given below) and buying a new and really good RTW suit, with alterations done locally. I've done this a number of times--as have many other forumers--and as long as your body proportions are reasonably average, this will probably produce a nice suit for you. As just one example: there are a number of online sellers (one on eBay--Nitr-O) who sell Isaia suits. Now, these are really top-tier suits that run at or over $3K at Holt Renfrew currently. I've bought two online for something on the order of $700-$900. I've then had either Tony Arletto or Frank Fuscaldo at Minichiello's alter them to a really good fit--probably just about as good as if they'd been MTM. The cost of the alterations has run to maybe $100-$150, so that the total cost of these suits has come to $850-$1050. You can do the same with Brioni, Borrelli, Zegna, etc., suits; I just happen to really like Isaia.

It is very important, however, if you plan to go this route to take some careful measurements beforehand. You should take a really good-fitting suit (or jacket) and determine: (a) the shoulder width (distance from shoulder/sleeve seam on one side to that on the other side); (b) the chest measurement (put jacket flat and smoothed out and measure from about 1" below the armpit on one side to same on the other side); (c) the length (from the seam just below the collar at the back to hem); (d) sleeve length (length from sleeve/shoulder seam to end of cuff). Of these measurements, perhaps the most important is the shoulder measurement because it is the most difficult and costly to alter. Chest widths can be let out maybe 1"-2" (or taken in). Jacket length can't normally be altered, and sleeve length can normally be shortened and possibly lengthened (although you'd have to ascertain from the seller whether there was material tucked under at the cuff). I would do these measurements very carefully. If the jacket you are measuring from is not ideal, you can take that into account in establishing ideal measurements. Then you need to check with the seller just what the corresponding measurements are on the suit you are considering. The good sellers will normally be happy to do this.

Some attention also has to be paid, of course, to the suit trousers, although things are usually much less critical than with the jacket. Waist size is obviously important. This can usually be taken in by up to 2" (but not more), and can often be let out as well (but you'd need to check with the seller about this). Inseam length will normally be much greater than you will end up at, but again this should be checked beforehand. If you have some preferences about narrowness/fullness of the leg, you could check on trouser width at the knee and at the cuff (at your inseam length). Other measurement, like rise, for example, are less critical.

If you do all this, you will almost-certainly end up with a suit that can be made just right with the alterations that are possible. For the latter, I'd recommend either Tony Arletto (if he is still available; I'm not certain about this), Frank Fuscaldo at Minichiello's, or Joy at Oakridge Tailors. I hope that others will chime in here with their experiences with Vancouver Tailors--always an interesting topic, given the general dearth of good tailors in Vancouver!

Finally, here are a couple of very highly-recommended online sellers. There are many more out there, but this will get you started:

http://virtualclotheshorse.com/index...4189b449ade009

http://www.shopthefinest.com/storefr...id=82624&sid=1
post #159 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsWood View Post
For me I am not sure a $2000 - $3000 suit is better than a $1000-$1500 suit. I find once you can spend enough to get out of the department store fused suit and into a full canvas suit spending more money starts to have demising returns.

I tend to agree with JeffsWood on this point. With the general lack of high-end suiting options in Vancouver there seems to be only a few very select places to find something decent. In Vancouver, especially, I find that most "businessmen" tend to shy away from the formality of a suit. Walking around downtown I seem to notice the general fit of one's suit rather than the less obvious "handcrafted" details.

If you're new to wearing a suit, I think the first step is to find out what brands/cuts/styles generally fit you best and start from there. For this, you might be best going to a brick and mortar store (Harry, Holt, etc) to see what works for you and your body type/build. Harry, for example, offers complimentary alterations on stuff bought there (within reason), so it might be a good idea to buy your first few suits from them as they will continue to alter them as your preferences change. Once you've gotten a few suits under your belt, so to speak, you might be a in a better position to determine what you like versus what you don't like when shopping online. Even after a few years, I'm still very weary of buying suits online and still haven't yet done so, for what it's worth.....

I would also take a look at The Bay in Pacific Centre as they have a small section (Hudson Room?) that carries "higher end" brands like Samuelsohn (good workhorse suits, in my opinion).

Just my $0.02, but hope i've helped....
post #160 of 508
If you can wait your best bet for quality/price ratio is probably Maxwell's Tailors.

They're a traveling tailor operation that tours Canada. Basically they set-up shop in a hotel conference room, you go and they measure you, you pick fabrics and suit style and then they send you a completed suit in the mail. If you need it altered you take it to Mike's on West Broadway (who is a great, inexpensive tailor. He's done a couple jacket and pant alterations for me and the work is superb).

I thought they were coming to Vancouver in September but their website says december. Check them out here - http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/
post #161 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez View Post
I tend to agree with JeffsWood on this point. With the general lack of high-end suiting options in Vancouver there seems to be only a few very select places to find something decent. In Vancouver, especially, I find that most "businessmen" tend to shy away from the formality of a suit. Walking around downtown I seem to notice the general fit of one's suit rather than the less obvious "handcrafted" details.

If you're new to wearing a suit, I think the first step is to find out what brands/cuts/styles generally fit you best and start from there. For this, you might be best going to a brick and mortar store (Harry, Holt, etc) to see what works for you and your body type/build. Harry, for example, offers complimentary alterations on stuff bought there (within reason), so it might be a good idea to buy your first few suits from them as they will continue to alter them as your preferences change. Once you've gotten a few suits under your belt, so to speak, you might be a in a better position to determine what you like versus what you don't like when shopping online. Even after a few years, I'm still very weary of buying suits online and still haven't yet done so, for what it's worth.....

I would also take a look at The Bay in Pacific Centre as they have a small section (Hudson Room?) that carries "higher end" brands like Samuelsohn (good workhorse suits, in my opinion).

Just my $0.02, but hope i've helped....

I agree with you agreeing with me...

Samuelsohn is great bang for the buck, you can get one for well under $1k tax in here in Vancouver, and I like some of my Samuelsohn's as much as my Canali's.

I have bought online with good luck. A place like Sierra Trading Post with a great return policy can work well and you could geta Samelsohn for around $500 there.
post #162 of 508
Jeff, are you refering to Samuelsohn MTM or the OTR? (at under $1k) I sent an email to HR and received a reply on Jul 29 08 for price quotes in Vancouver HR (DT and Oakridge).
Quote:
Thank you for your e mail. The prices in spring were as follows, however they may be a little higher in fall: Brioni - $4,840 - $33,000 Zegna $2300 to $6,100 Tilford - $1400 - $3500 Armani - $2,000 - $3350 Sincerely Larry Rosen Chairman Harry Rosen Inc
The trunk sales are in September aproximately with an expected 25% off these prices iirc. But at that price I could get a Chan suit so I'm still debating.
post #163 of 508
There has been a recent discussion about turning pleated pants into flat front and numerous recommendations for Joy at Oakridge Tailors. I went to see her on a weekend and there was instead another young man there (didn't get his name) who informed me that both he and Joy were qualified to do the work, but that the charge would be $120 per pair (note that JeffsWood was quoted $80 as the max in post #151). Needless to say this was way over my budget as I had hoped to get 5 pairs converted.

So I decided to take them to my regular tailor, Arthur at Kerrisdale Cleaners, located on West 4th west of Arbutus, sharing a parking lot with the Safeway. I gave him one pair of navy Coppley suit pants as a trial. I am happy to say that he did a great job and for a total of $60 he not only removed the pleats, but lowered the rise, slimmed the pants legs and converted them from cuffed to plain bottom.

M
post #164 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Suited View Post
What a brilliant thread.

I was out celebrating my recent promotion last Friday after work and after a few too many I found myself in a situation where I needed to climb a chain-link fence. Needless to say that in my inebriated state I managed to tear my pants at the pocket. There's about a two inch tear along the seam and fraying of the fabrics along the tear. Is this salvageable? if so, would any tailor be able to fix this? The suit was pretty expensive for me (~$1100) so I don't mind the cost if it'll mean I can fix my pants.

Also, my new position at work will require me to wear suits 4-5 times a week. I currently have two suits (the aforementioned suit with the ripped pants, and a Boss suit of roughly the same calibre) but will definetly need more. I'm thinking I'll need at least 3 more suits to begin with, but I've only got about $2000 available. Any recommendations on good suits in the $500-700 range? I'm a total rookie when it comes to suits so I don't even know if there is such a thing.

whilst searching for quality tailors in Vancouver on Google, I came across this site which offers online MTM suits: http://www.indochino.com/
Has anyone tried it? Is it worth considering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was not thrilled by Indochino. I got a navy "wool" suit and it's suspiciously shiny, as if it were made of polyester. I just waited until Brooks Brothers had a sale online (making sure of the measurements first). I can't wait until they open here.
post #165 of 508
Wow, thanks so much for all the valuable info!

Online appears to have the best deals available, but as Fez mentioned, I am pretty new to this whole suit business so I'm kind of hesitant to dive into the world of online purchases. perhaps once I figure out my size and cut.

Both my suits were bought at Harry Rosen (one is an Arnold Brandt and the other is Hugo Boss). I got a couple of JP Tilford shirts, a couple of hugo boss shirts, and a couple of Coppley trousers. As a new buyer I gave the salesman some basic info (# of buttons, single pleat, single breasted, colour etc.) and let him do the rest. I was fairly happy with the results and the service, but having never been to any other suit stores I can't really compare the experience. Wherever I do go for a suit I will definitely many different brands as you guys have mentioned. I will likely go to a Harry/Holt/Dunn's but they all seem a little over my current budget. If anyone has any suggestions on good mid-range stores in Vancouver I'd love to hear them.

Wrenkin - thanks for the info on Indochino. I'd read a news article about them and the owner mentioned many of his suits had a nice shiny look to it. I always thought a shiny suit meant there was polyester in it, so alarm bells were going off in my head. i was also able to find some info in SF and they were generally unimpressive so I will hold off on them.

Aaron - Yes, I've heard of Maxwell's before - my friend has been getting MTM shirts from them the last 4 times they came to Vancouver and keeps telling me to give them a shot. My only reason for not going is the long turnaround time to get the shirts...aboutt 2-3 months if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your knowledge!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good tailor in Vancouver?