or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Your most expensive restaurant bill?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your most expensive restaurant bill? - Page 12

post #166 of 233
Most I've spent on wine was $15, its usually about $4.
post #167 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
Most I've spent on wine was $15, its usually about $4.

This is hard to do, even by the glass.
post #168 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
This is hard to do, even by the glass.
Here.
post #169 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

In Naples, I noticed that the near-universal price for house wine (Campanian red or white) was 5 euros for 500ml. Not quite $4 but close.

If you tried to go all aficionado on them and ask what it was they would look at you blankly and say "It's wine." Followed by a mutterance of "What the hell did you ask for" or something like that.
post #170 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
In Naples, I noticed that the near-universal price for house wine (Campanian red or white) was 5 euros for 500ml. Not quite $4 but close.

If you tried to go all aficionado on them and ask what it was they would look at you blankly and say "It's wine." Followed by a mutterance of "What the hell did you ask for" or something like that.
They actually make some nice wine down there. I think I've only had good wine at the Yacht Club and at l'Europeo. Everywhere else is the stuff you describe.
post #171 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
They actually make some nice wine down there. I think I've only had good wine at the Yacht Club and at l'Europeo. Everywhere else is the stuff you describe.

Restaurants had nicer stuff by the bottle at good prices. I got a Barbaresco at one place for 15 euros. My hotel bar had Brunello (2003) for 8 euros a glass, which is good for a hotel bar.
post #172 of 233
Biggest tab I've picked up was ~$7k at Per Se for me + 10 friends.

Biggest bill per person that I've been in was $5k for 4 of us at Wolfgang (Zweiner)'s Steakhouse on Park Ave. Not even sure how that one happened.
post #173 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
$2500-$3500 is pretty much the norm in NYC restaurants for Screagle.

Uhh not if it's 14-15 years old. Have you seen the prices on a '95 or a '96? I sure did.
post #174 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I really did not think it was worth it (not that I paid for it). And I'm not a cab hater, I love cabs. But there are wines I like more that cost a lot less. For that kind of $$ I'd much rather take a flyer on an old, rare Bordeaux or Burg.
In all sincerity ... I typically limit my wine purchases to $125 a bottle when paying retail ... perhaps double that at a restaurant. And ... note that I said limit. There are many wines in my celler that are in the $30 range ... and I'll often find a $75 bottle at a restaurant that suits me well.

Now, for a special occasion wine, I'll go north of $125. The price of a bottle of Screaming Eagle is for a VERY special occasion. It's not often that I would spend that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

That said ... my first bottle of Screaming Eagle was a gift. I was totally unaware of its cost or quality. We were headed to Carmel for the weekend and stopped at an In-and-Out Burger. Guess what we opened. Maybe that's why I was so impressed with the taste. I wasn't expecting anything in the league we had.
post #175 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
In all sincerity ... I typically limit my wine purchases to $125 a bottle when paying retail ... note that I said limit. There are many wines in my celler that are in the $30 range. Now, for a special occasion wine, I might go north of $125. The price of a bottle of Screaming Eagle is for a VERY special occasion. It's not often that I would spend that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

That said ... my first bottle of Screaming Eagle was a gift. I was totally unaware of it's cost or quality. We were headed to Carmel for the weekend and stopped at an In-and-Out Burger. Guess what we opened. Maybe that's why I was so impressed with the taste. I wasn't expecting anything in the league we had.

I would never pay that kind of money for Screaming Eagle again. If I had a chance to buy a case, I might do it for its potential as an investment, however if I had to drop 4-5 figures on wine it would be on a great Margaux, which is my favorite 1st growth. Second would be Lafite. Still, I have a problem spending that much money on wine.
post #176 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Seriously? Who in their right mind would willing pay $8 - 10000 for a bottle of wine?
Unless infalation runks amuck ... I can't imagine that in my limited days left on earth.
post #177 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
$600 doesn't buy me shit in South Korea. truth. $1200 wouldn't buy me shit. I bought hamburgers and wine one night this summer, for 3, and the bill was close to $750.
If I got on a plane to Tokyo, smuggled back a $300 grocery basket + some wine and dropped it off with people with enough skills, then maybe, but that'd still cost me a grand or two.
You seem to like the word shit. I think you full of it.
post #178 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I would never pay that kind of money for Screaming Eagle again. If I had a chance to buy a case, I might do it for its potential as an investment, however if I had to drop 4-5 figures on wine it would be on a great Margaux, which is my favorite 1st growth. Second would be Lafite. Still, I have a problem spending that much money on wine.
Please don't misunderstand ... I am not suggesting that I'd limit four figure wine purchases to Screaming Eagle. Moreover, there won't be that many four figure purchases ... not even for investment. I don't invest in wine.

EDIT: I've had Screaming Eagle only once at a restaurant ... at La Toque in the Napa Valley ... and I wasn't picking up the tab that evening. A couple of other bottles were gifts ... and I purchased two for a special dinner at home. Not one of my purchases was north of $1300 ... probably the most I've spent (even when adjusting for inflation) on a bottle of wine at any time in my life.
post #179 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Question- how do you bring your own wine / do corkage if you are doing a tasting menu / dont know the menu beforehand / etc?

I rarely spend more that 50 pounds a bottle. My wine taste buds are so crap that even that is lost on me.

K

Look online. Most restaurants post their menus.
post #180 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post
Well, the real question is, can a California wine really be that good?
Not > $1,000 good, but what is? Some amazing Chards in the $60 ($200 in a restaurant) range, however. 2005 ZD Chardonnay Reserve and 2005 Ferrari-Carano Tre Terre Chardonnay are so very lovely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Your most expensive restaurant bill?