or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Your most expensive restaurant bill?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your most expensive restaurant bill? - Page 9

post #121 of 233
$2100 for 4 ... The French Laundry.
post #122 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I noticed that it tasted better than I expected it to. I had drunk the bottling I was expecting many times.

In any event, to this day I have never seen a bottle of this at retail. I know they sell it at the winery; I saw it there last year. It turns up on restaurant lists too, and I have learned how to spot it.
At Gramercy Tavern in New York ... after I ordered a $125 bottle of wine ... the waiter returned to say they were out of the bottle. He recommended "a similar" wine that he felt we would like. I agreed. Later I discovered his "similar" bottle was $600. I refused to pay more than 1.5x the price of the original bottle ... and the management sided with me.

Speaking of wine ... it's about time to dress and get to cocktails.
post #123 of 233
About $400 each for a group of 4 at Jean Georges. Was almost 9 years back...have lost all recollection of what we ordered...
post #124 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
At Gramercy Tavern in New York ... after I ordered a $125 bottle of wine ... the waiter returned to say they were out of the bottle. He recommended "a similar" wine that he felt we would like. I agreed. Later I discovered his "similar" bottle was $600. I refused to pay more than 1.5x the price of the original bottle ... and the management sided with me.

Speaking of wine ... it's about time to dress and get to cocktails.

What an unprofessional ass.
post #125 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Food alone I think it would have to be at Masa... that's the only real way to rack up serious cash... seafood products. Had caviar service at a place in Cannes that sky rocketed the bill.

But all the super big bills (including Abromovich style ones) have been from wine. I've never been the one paying them, obviously. The most extravagant was a small gathering for my mother's best friend's birthday at Le Cirque and it must have been nearly 80k. Even if I had the means, I would never even think of spending that kind of money.

The most expensive bill I've footed alone was at TFL, and it was because of Screaming Eagle. It was to thank someone for a massive professional courtesy that was worth every penny.

what is screaming eagle?
post #126 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by styleme_now View Post
what is screaming eagle?

Screaming Eagle is a winery in Napa Valley. It's a cult cab. Produced in small quantities (under 600 cases a year) and very highly sought after because of its quality. Prices can be astronomical.
post #127 of 233
about $550 for 2 at a steakhouse in Vegas. i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

-Jeff
post #128 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
At Gramercy Tavern in New York ... after I ordered a $125 bottle of wine ... the waiter returned to say they were out of the bottle. He recommended "a similar" wine that he felt we would like. I agreed. Later I discovered his "similar" bottle was $600. I refused to pay more than 1.5x the price of the original bottle ... and the management sided with me.

Speaking of wine ... it's about time to dress and get to cocktails.
Good for you. I've had similar experiences, but with a less satisfactory outcome.
post #129 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Screaming Eagle is a winery in Napa Valley. It's a cult cab. Produced in small quantities (under 600 cases a year) and very highly sought after because of its quality. Prices can be astronomical.

About $1100 a bottle if you can get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelan View Post
about $550 for 2 at a steakhouse in Vegas. i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

-Jeff

Do you remember the name of the place?
post #130 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
About $1100 a bottle if you can get it
Yep. And it's a big if.
post #131 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
About $1100 a bottle if you can get it.



Yes, and that is the price/bottle if you buy a case, if you are lucky enough to be on the list.

It will run you 8 to 10 times that in a restaurant.
post #132 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
I think it is as well. That said, a lot of people eat there and absolutely love it. Seems weird to me. It just strikes me as gimmicky, especially compared to Alinea.

I'm a geeky-sciency person and it was fun for me. I enjoyed it.
post #133 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip1209 View Post
I'm a geeky-sciency person and it was fun for me. I enjoyed it.
Next time you are able, you must go to Alinea. That is on a different planet.
post #134 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Yes, and that is the price/bottle if you buy a case, if you are lucky enough to be on the list. It will run you 8 to 10 times that in a restaurant.
Seriously? Who in their right mind would willing pay $8 - 10000 for a bottle of wine?
post #135 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
At Gramercy Tavern in New York ... after I ordered a $125 bottle of wine ... the waiter returned to say they were out of the bottle. He recommended "a similar" wine that he felt we would like. I agreed. Later I discovered his "similar" bottle was $600. I refused to pay more than 1.5x the price of the original bottle ... and the management sided with me.

Speaking of wine ... it's about time to dress and get to cocktails.

And it's more than 4x also.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Your most expensive restaurant bill?