or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke for the First Time - My Hong Kong Experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke for the First Time - My Hong Kong Experience - Page 2

post #16 of 27
I don't really agree with you, in terms of how you describe the different styles, especially British vs. Italian. However thanks for sharing with us.

-LR
post #17 of 27
Great suits for the price - the pants seemed a little bit too small for my taste - see the bunching across the tights !
post #18 of 27
In addition to the inaccurate description of the 3 different suit styles, I think what is perhaps more important to point out is the difference between true BESPOKE and MTM.

Granted the suits look good -for the money-.... I would definitely not say you got bespoke suits made here.

Some of the reviewers have already pointed out the commong tell-tale mistakes spotted in MTM.

But otherwise, for the price, i think you definitely got some good value there. Please post some more pics if you can. I live in HK and might pay WC&S a visit myself....of course i'll leverage the drawbacks pointed out on this post and see if they can be addressed up front
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrcustom View Post
I don't really agree with you, in terms of how you describe the different styles, especially British vs. Italian. However thanks for sharing with us.

-LR

+1

That being said, you've got a pretty decent suit for the price there. Well done.
post #20 of 27
I visited William Cheng and Son after your post. Unfortunately, the prices you quote on your blog are not what "Sandy" quoted me.

Here is what they current offer suits for:
Loro Piana 4 seasons: $4800 HKD ($620 USD vs. what your blog states $450 USD)
Zegna Tropical: $6800 HKD ($877 USD vs. what your blog states $550 USD)
Vitale Barberis: $4200 HKD ($542 USD vs what your blog states $350 USD)

(I am assuming USD, please correct me if i'm wrong)

I asked if I can get a "bulk discount" if i ordered 4 or more suits, and they would not budge -at all. I also asked if they just recently raised their prices in the last 2-3 months, and they said their prices have been the same for the last year.

I also reviewed the "canvassing" and Sandy mentioned they are fully glued. No "partial" canvassing.

I feel like the place you blogged about and the place I went to were completely different.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzSolo View Post
I visited William Cheng and Son after your post. Unfortunately, the prices you quote on your blog are not what "Sandy" quoted me.

Here is what they current offer suits for:
Loro Piana 4 seasons: $4800 HKD ($620 USD vs. what your blog states $450 USD)
Zegna Tropical: $6800 HKD ($877 USD vs. what your blog states $550 USD)
Vitale Barberis: $4200 HKD ($542 USD vs what your blog states $350 USD)

(I am assuming USD, please correct me if i'm wrong)

I asked if I can get a "bulk discount" if i ordered 4 or more suits, and they would not budge -at all. I also asked if they just recently raised their prices in the last 2-3 months, and they said their prices have been the same for the last year.

I also reviewed the "canvassing" and Sandy mentioned they are fully glued. No "partial" canvassing.

I feel like the place you blogged about and the place I went to were completely different.

Has the OP merely published an advertisement then rather than a genuine report?
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
I admit, my prices may not have been spot on. They could have even been slightly underestimated. I did not received an itemized receipt from WC&S, so the prices I quoted were from memory a month after the fact. However, the prices you paid were not the same that I paid. You probably paid at least $100 USD more for each suit than what I paid. Even though he says he didn't raise his prices recently, he still may have. You would also have to look at the conversion rates and how they differed when I went versus when you went. That being said, I will update the prices on my blog to reflect the Hong Kong dollar price that you listed so that this is not a problem in the future.

As far as the floating canvas, that was something I specifically asked about via email prior to choosing WC&S. I felt reassured seeing the stiching underneath the lapel that the breasts were partially canvassed (not glued), but if he told you something different, then I have to accept that. However, I am very happy with the construction, movement, and fit of my suits.
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzSolo View Post
I visited William Cheng and Son after your post. Unfortunately, the prices you quote on your blog are not what "Sandy" quoted me.

Here is what they current offer suits for:
Loro Piana 4 seasons: $4800 HKD ($620 USD vs. what your blog states $450 USD)
Zegna Tropical: $6800 HKD ($877 USD vs. what your blog states $550 USD)
Vitale Barberis: $4200 HKD ($542 USD vs what your blog states $350 USD)

(I am assuming USD, please correct me if i'm wrong)

I asked if I can get a "bulk discount" if i ordered 4 or more suits, and they would not budge -at all. I also asked if they just recently raised their prices in the last 2-3 months, and they said their prices have been the same for the last year.

I also reviewed the "canvassing" and Sandy mentioned they are fully glued. No "partial" canvassing.

I feel like the place you blogged about and the place I went to were completely different.

By the way, thanks for your comment HanzSolo. I posted the blog to be as helpful as possible to those about to partake in the process, so I do want the info to be as accurate. Sorry you feel mislead.
post #24 of 27
Thanks for the price updates. Anyone else have experience with William Cheng and Sons?
post #25 of 27
Someone got called out. I smell bullshit.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkarmstrong View Post
By the way, thanks for your comment HanzSolo. I posted the blog to be as helpful as possible to those about to partake in the process, so I do want the info to be as accurate. Sorry you feel mislead.

the prices seems to be way off though.
post #27 of 27
FWIW, I went to Cheng's in December last year and was charged HK$5400 for two suits made from what I assume is the cheapiest of cheapy cloths - Royaltex (Indian? Mink, cashmere, wool) and Royal Club (Huddersfield, super 150s mink, cashmere, wool). I guess you could extrapolate upwards for name-brand cloth? Not sure about fusing/canvassing. Doing the pinch test above the breast pocket, I can separate a layer, but I suspect I might just be pulling apart the fused layer. Feels a bit like pulling sticky tape off a carpeted floor. And I thought Cheng's was MTM, not bespoke. Edit: that really wasn't as helpful a post as I thought it would be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke for the First Time - My Hong Kong Experience