or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me choose a color for a MTM shetland sweater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me choose a color for a MTM shetland sweater

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I'm getting a MTM shetland sweater made by Spirit of Shetland. Out of the hundreds of shetland yarns they can knit this thing out of, I've narrowed it down to two - Rye and Storm.

I can't decide between the two, so I'd like to throw it to the forum. Whichever one gets the most votes will be the one I put an order in for.

Use your power wisely.

Also, if it helps, here are the pants I have: grey cotton and wool trous (various shades, light to mid-grey), charcoal moleskins, dark brown cords, navy cotton trous, dark jeans, and khaki chinos.

post #2 of 33
I'm assuming "rye" is the cream color (not the gray) on the left.
post #3 of 33
storm is tres kewl
post #4 of 33
I like rye.

Can you give any more details about this? I don't see a MTM option on their website. How does it work?
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
Yes, Rye is the cream color with grey and yellow flecks.

The MTM option is on the website. Just go through the options. You have to email them about it, however. In the end, you email them the measurements of the sweater you want, the color of yarn you'd like, and they'll make it for you.

Any other votes?
post #6 of 33
Not that it's helpful to you, but Oxford. I liked the Rye till I saw how yellow it is, then I went looking for a different rye-like color, and finally decided on the Oxford black.
post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post
Not that it's helpful to you, but Oxford.

I liked the Rye till I saw how yellow it is, then I went looking for a different rye-like color, and finally decided on the Oxford black.

So have you ordered from Spirit of Shetland? How do you like the final product?

Picking a single color out of hundreds is seriously a chore.
post #8 of 33
The Rye is nice, but the Storm is awesome.
post #9 of 33
I like both ... get both. Heck ... get two of each.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingred View Post
So have you ordered from Spirit of Shetland? How do you like the final product?

No, I've just been thinking about it since last winter. I'll order now, just as soon as I finish reading 10,000 SF threads about... important things.

I'm with RSS's idea of ordering lots, but I was going to do it one at time until I figure out the measurements. There's at least one other thread about Spirit of Shetland here; I've been dawdling ever since that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingred View Post
Picking a single color out of hundreds is seriously a chore.

And the sweater might not look like the swatch. Actually, the whole process is like bespoke write very very small. Microscopic.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post
the whole process is like bespoke write very very small.
Given my more casual style these days ... perhaps the Shetland should should become my new bespoke ... or rather demi-bespoke.
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post
I'm with RSS's idea of ordering lots, but I was going to do it one at time until I figure out the measurements. There's at least one other thread about Spirit of Shetland here; I've been dawdling ever since that thread.

I'm actually surprised how few Spirit of Shetland threads are on here, to be honest. The offer seems amazing. $100, shipping included, for a sweater in almost any color you want, with real Scottish shetland wool, and in any odd size you want.

I found two fit pics of previous customers' orders. Both seem really happy, but only one seemed to fit well. I think I'm going to order one, see how it turns out, and then decide if I want another. At this point, however, I'm kind of up to my ears in sweaters. Might be time to pull back a little on this sweater obsession.

Or move to Alaska.
post #13 of 33
What is the non-MTM sizing like?
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingred View Post
I'm getting a MTM shetland sweater made by Spirit of Shetland. Out of the hundreds of shetland yarns they can knit this thing out of, I've narrowed it down to two - Rye and Storm.

I can't decide between the two, so I'd like to throw it to the forum. Whichever one gets the most votes will be the one I put an order in for.

Use your power wisely.

Also, if it helps, here are the pants I have: grey cotton and wool trous (various shades, light to mid-grey), charcoal moleskins, dark brown cords, navy cotton trous, dark jeans, and khaki chinos.


They're $87 apiece, buy them both.
post #15 of 33
Hmm, I'm still not finding the "MTM Link" on the website. Are you just saying that "any details you'd like" means MTM?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help me choose a color for a MTM shetland sweater