or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You have got to be freaking kidding me!!! - Page 3

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty
They make their gators in Cal and sell their gators in Cal

http://www.maxleatherinc.com/detail.asp?product_id=20z


These are interesting.
post #32 of 50
Well, I agree this is crazy. Crocodile and alligator goods are sold all the time in California. Note too, however, that mere possession has never been a violation of the law. This provision was news to me, though. Most of the problems with alligator and crocodile were worked out years ago through international conventions; don't know who here in CA put forward this pious and meaningless bit of grandstanding. Anyway, as you noted, Andrew, change appears to be imminent. CA SB 1485 would repeal the provisions as they apply to alligator and crocodile. That bill has passed both houses of the legislature and was sent to the Governor on 9/6. Looks like I'll have to do a private placement, though, if I ever decide to sell my old Macafee bespoke sea turtle loafers.
I first became aware of these ebay rules when I was doing some research on a large tortoise-shell mirror I had found. Tortoise-shell, of course, shares the same fate as the colobus monkey. I'm not against protecting endangered animals, but I see no reason for a prohibition against skins of non-endangered animals and I think allowance ought to be made for clearly vintage items (head me down the slippery slope!).

For a summary of SB 1485 take a look here: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/..._enrolled.html
post #33 of 50
Max Leather doesn't have to worry.

Even in California they have a little sense.

And these are "Too Ugly To Prosecute":

http://www.maxleatherinc.com/detail.asp?product_id=1x
post #34 of 50
Personally, I think this is all a croc
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
shit, now what am I supposed to do with this free roaming feral horse that I was shipping out to diorshoe?

huh? what? ..what the?

uh, how much do i owe you? ?
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, I agree this is crazy. Crocodile and alligator goods are sold all the time in California. Note too, however, that mere possession has never been a violation of the law. This provision was news to me, though. Most of the problems with alligator and crocodile were worked out years ago through international conventions; don't know who here in CA put forward this pious and meaningless bit of grandstanding. Anyway, as you noted, Andrew, change appears to be imminent. CA SB 1485 would repeal the provisions as they apply to alligator and crocodile. That bill has passed both houses of the legislature and was sent to the Governor on 9/6. Looks like I'll have to do a private placement, though, if I ever decide to sell my old Macafee bespoke sea turtle loafers.
I first became aware of these ebay rules when I was doing some research on a large tortoise-shell mirror I had found. Tortoise-shell, of course, shares the same fate as the colobus monkey. I'm not against protecting endangered animals, but I see no reason for a prohibition against skins of non-endangered animals and I think allowance ought to be made for clearly vintage items (head me down the slippery slope!).

For a summary of SB 1485 take a look here: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/..._enrolled.html
Did we ever get a pic of the sea turtle McAfees? I seem to remember this vaguely..
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Did we ever get a pic of the sea turtle McAfees? I seem to remember this vaguely..
Well, heck I'll just throw caution to the wind (SINCE I WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING EXCEPT SIMPLY ADMIRE THEM ON MY OWN FEET IN PRIVATE IN MY OWN HOME!). I'll have to figure out the whole photo-hosting thing first, though. Anyplace I can go for a tutorial?
post #38 of 50
I agree w/ lawyerdad. The difference b/w having a law on the books and enforcing said law is a huge difference. For example, there are many laws in many states that are left over from long ago which the states never enforce.

Having been in law enforcement myself, I know it is ridiculous to assume that every trivial law is enforced. Bigger fish to fry.
post #39 of 50
i had to google the word "ocelot" to find out what it is.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, heck I'll just throw caution to the wind (SINCE I WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING EXCEPT SIMPLY ADMIRE THEM ON MY OWN FEET IN PRIVATE IN MY OWN HOME!). I'll have to figure out the whole photo-hosting thing first, though. Anyplace I can go for a tutorial?
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1937
post #41 of 50
What size were those sea-turtle shoes?
post #42 of 50
was 'stingray' on that list?
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
was 'stingray' on that list?

Not till next week.
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
Is this some sort of joke?

No, i think this is called protection of endangered species.
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
The American alligator is not endangered. And do you seriously believe that high end shoes, wallets, belts etc are made from the skins of endangered crocodiles? The makers are not going to bother with illegal hides, there is plenty of legally acquired skins available.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › You have got to be freaking kidding me!!!