or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The 'Ask Foo' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 'Ask Foo' Thread

post #1 of 102
Thread Starter 
wrote this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan
No, it's sensible orthodoxy. Grey odd jackets are relatively rare for good reasons. First of all, they are more likely to be confused for suit jackets. Second, and more importantly, they shift the burden to your trousers to take on color.

I was going to ask him a question about his post there, but I decided to take the polite approach and not hijack the thread. Then I realized that many, perhaps all, forum members could benefit from the advice of - hence this thread. I have not consulted with Mr. Fan (indeed, I doubt he'd dignify my request with an answer), but I believe that he will oblige, or meet the challenge if that presentation is more to his liking.

On to my question -- , my fall / winter trouser rotation is comprised almost entirely of shades of brown and tan. My jackets run the color spectrum. Am I doing this wrong? I'd like to try more colors but I do not want to seem too fringe or trendy... I like to dress conservatively but with some variety.
post #2 of 102
Dear ,

Regarding Bunny Slippers:

Pink? White? Stuff my feet into actual carcasses of Siberian Hare?



I trust the brown shoe rule applies here as well.
post #3 of 102
post #4 of 102
Thread Starter 
Please preface every question with:

'Dear ' -

No trolls!
post #5 of 102
Dear (or anyone else for that matter),

What SC would look good with a pair of medium grey donegal pants?
post #6 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post
Dear Mr. Foo,

Regarding Bunny Slippers:

Pink? White? Stuff my feet into actual carcasses of Siberian Hare?



I trust the brown shoe rule applies here as well.

Refer to the OneBunnySlipperâ„¢ Rule here...
post #7 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby View Post
On to my question -- , my fall / winter trouser rotation is comprised almost entirely of shades of brown and tan. My jackets run the color spectrum. Am I doing this wrong? I'd like to try more colors but I do not want to seem too fringe or trendy... I like to dress conservatively but with some variety.

Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post
Dear (or anyone else for that matter),

What SC would look good with a pair of medium grey donegal pants?

Not grey.
post #8 of 102
Dear ,

Is it ok to wear Suede chukka boots with a suit?
post #9 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Dear ,

Is it ok to wear Suede chukka boots with a suit?

I suppose it epends on the suit and how casual you want to wear it. The more casual the suit to begin with, the better. Charcoal pinstripes would certainly not work. However, I would not do it myself. I think it will look bad 99% of the time.
post #10 of 102
Dear Foo,

How large should gold-toned sailboat cufflinks be? Palm sized, or as large as an entire hand?

Thank you.


- B
post #11 of 102
Dear - I mean ,

My neighbor is 6' 8", where do you recommend he shop?
post #12 of 102
This might be one of the best threads on SF (serious) Dear , I'm looking to buy a MTM shetland sweater, which can be made out of any color yarn I choose. I've narrowed it down to two colors: Rye and Storm. Which do you think would be better? My pants have a pretty wide range. I own dark blue jeans, mid grey flannels and tropical wools, dark brown cords, charcoal moleskins, navy trous, khaki chinos, etc. Of course, I'm not looking for a shetland to go with all of these. If you're not really into these two colors, please feel free suggest a better one that I should be looking for.
post #13 of 102
But ... there is no brown.
post #14 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
But ... there is no brown.
Dear Per RSS post, I'd like to put this here for your consideration, in addition to Storm and Rye. The name of this one is Tundra.
post #15 of 102
Dear , What did you wear before Rubinacci?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The 'Ask Foo' Thread