or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Material for braces?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Material for braces?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I saw somewhere that the traditional material for braces is actually catgut, which ages in a certain way. That aside, what is the preferred material for these? Is nylon as good as anything else?
post #2 of 15
Leather.
post #3 of 15
Catgut and leather would be for the ends. For the actual braces, barathea in the summer and boxcloth in the winter for me. Silk is also an option.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Any recommendations for sources?

I thought people here recommended Albert Thurston, but the ones on STP are nylon.
post #5 of 15
I've found buying from their website (www.albertthurston.com) the easiest method to procure Thurston braces, which are top notch.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
I've found buying from their website (www.albertthurston.com) the easiest method to procure Thurston braces, which are top notch.


You know, I've picked up a couple of pairs of thurston suspenders from STP, and found that while the patterns are terrific, the ends, if they're leather, are certainly some sort of corrected-grain or plasticized variety (brooks brothers braces have better-quality ends); and that the elastic at the back seems to deteriorate alarmingly fast. I suppose it's possible that they're from some sort of diffusion line, but the boxes said Albert Thurston, and STP listed the retail price at $80 $90, so that doesn't seem overwhelmingly likely.

Anyway, just to say I've been a little disappointed with the construction quality of the AT suspenders I've picked up. I probably wouldn't rush out to buy more sight-unseen.
post #7 of 15
I have never had a pair of Thurstons give out, at any point. I wonder if what you have are not really Thurstons. The real things are practically indestructible. And I have never seen any corrected grain or treated leather ends, either.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never had a pair of Thurstons give out, at any point. I wonder if what you have are not really Thurstons. The real things are practically indestructible. And I have never seen any corrected grain or treated leather ends, either.


I'm prepared to entertain that possibility, but I have a hard time believing that STP would do such a thing.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'm prepared to entertain that possibility, but I have a hard time believing that STP would do such a thing.

The CEO is on AAAC as 'bracemaker' from time to time. Suggest you message him and ask directly.

I also have trouble believing the Thurston would use corrected grain unless it was a special order for a store that had its own reason.
post #10 of 15
I've got over a dozen pair of Thurston braces, some as old as twenty years, and one pair has ever given out on me. I have the barethas in basically every solid color I seen available. None of them have corrected grain or what i would describe as inferior leather.

To further illustrate thier quality, I wear a suit with braces everyday to work so they have had years of continuous use.

To reiterate Will's comment above, "bracemaker" is a wondeful fellow. He will (and has) happily accepted my custom requests in terms of the type of tabs and hardware I want at no additional charge.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I've got over a dozen pair of Thurston braces, some as old as twenty years, and one pair has ever given out on me. I have the barethas in basically every solid color I seen available. None of them have corrected grain or what i would describe as inferior leather.

To further illustrate thier quality, I wear a suit with braces everyday to work so they have had years of continuous use.

To reiterate Will's comment above, "bracemaker" is a wondeful fellow. He will (and has) happily accepted my custom requests in terms of the type of tabs and hardware I want at no additional charge.


I've sent bracemaker a PM. Hopefully he won't take offense.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never had a pair of Thurstons give out, at any point. I wonder if what you have are not really Thurstons. The real things are practically indestructible. And I have never seen any corrected grain or treated leather ends, either.
I thought you favored synthetic fibers for braces?
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Aportnoy: Solid color braces are the best to center your wardrobe around?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Aportnoy: Solid color braces are the best to center your wardrobe around?
I would say that they are
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Aportnoy: Solid color braces are the best to center your wardrobe around?

For certain, IMHO.

I have these Thurston colors:

navy
hunter
burgundy
khaki
olive
gold
purple
robin's egg blue
orange
silver
dark gray
black
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Material for braces?