or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Nigel Cabourn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nigel Cabourn - Page 257

post #3841 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon p View Post

I have 2 wide lapel jackets in tweed. a 48 and a 50 It fits smaller across the chest than a mallory but wider in the shoulder. Its also shorter in length. Its a lovely jacket.
I wear a 48 in the mallory

Thanks for that, I'll mull it over today and hope it isn't sold this evening, I have short arms, the sleeves aren't overly long are they?
post #3842 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomtop View Post

Just got home and took a few crude cellphone shots of the clips.








Terrific - thanks for posting - great to see the original first release - you have the very first issue of probably one of the most iconic casual wear jackets of the 21st century
The amount of copies and dirivatives from every clothing brand in the UK is incredible - all imitating the look created by this coat
post #3843 of 4784
NC's Cameraman jacket has even influenced Filson to redesign some of their classic Mackinaw jackets to have a two tone look by using two different fabrics across the top of the upper pockets
post #3844 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gill Sans View Post

I was in Flannels in Manchester yesterday looking again at the duffle, umming and arhhing. They have the 46 which I did try on a couple of months ago - it is superb and I agree extremely desirable and for £1120 it's some reduction from £2800.

Even the 46 is a little big for me but duffles do look quite good oversize, I just felt that it is too much of a luxury item though - the fabric is just so soft, I would be frightened of damaging it - sitting on some chewing gum etc

If it had been in a heavy thick wool like the traditional duffles I think I might have gone for it

That is the downside with 100% cashmere, it does not wear well. A wool cashmere mix is a much better bet.

Saying that the idea of a 100% cashmere duffle is very appealing.
post #3845 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

That is the downside with 100% cashmere, it does not wear well. A wool cashmere mix is a much better bet.

Saying that the idea of a 100% cashmere duffle is very appealing.

Yes it is extremely luxurious - feels fabulous to touch

Just too luxurious for where I might wear it and throw it down

Can't afford the moth repellant!!!
post #3846 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gill Sans View Post


Terrific - thanks for posting - great to see the original first release - you have the very first issue of probably one of the most iconic casual wear jackets of the 21st century
The amount of copies and dirivatives from every clothing brand in the UK is incredible - all imitating the look created by this coat

 

I've collected a few of these on my Cameramanesque page:

 

http://welldresseddad.com/2013/03/02/inspired-by-an-icon-cameramanesque/

 

Nick

post #3847 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gill Sans View Post


Terrific - thanks for posting - great to see the original first release - you have the very first issue of probably one of the most iconic casual wear jackets of the 21st century
The amount of copies and dirivatives from every clothing brand in the UK is incredible - all imitating the look created by this coat

 

It's in great shape too, looks new, even still have the little tag like the photo in the book; you wouldn't realize it's 10 years old. I tried to sell it a while back, but no one understood it's a piece of menswear history.

post #3848 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomtop View Post

It's in great shape too, looks new, even still have the little tag like the photo in the book; you wouldn't realize it's 10 years old. I tried to sell it a while back, but no one understood it's a piece of menswear history.

I wouldn't sell as you probably wouldn't realise its true value. I track NC clothes that come up on eBay and they very rarely achieve anything close to a retail or even a shop end of season sale price second hand no matter how rare.

I do think of Cabourn clothes as a worthy 'investment' but not in terms of making profit or Monetary terms but in terms of longevity of style and quality.

Something to wear and wear some more for many years and pass on to our progeny
post #3849 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gill Sans View Post


I wouldn't sell as you probably wouldn't realise its true value. I track NC clothes that come up on eBay and they very rarely achieve anything close to a retail or even a shop end of season sale price second hand no matter how rare.

I do think of Cabourn clothes as a worthy 'investment' but not in terms of making profit or Monetary terms but in terms of longevity of style and quality.

Something to wear and wear some more for many years and pass on to our progeny

 

Unfortunately hasn't fit me for some time, and never really did. I agree about selling it. I would need to find a collector or some sort of men's clothing museum to purchase it.

post #3850 of 4784
I don't know whether you are aware of this, but for the next FW collection Alexander Leathers will be responsible for the production of the leather and sheepskin jackets. Alexander Leathers was established as a spin out of Aero Leather (I think the owners and the manager had some problems with each other in the end). They are both located in Scotland, and Alexander Leather took some of the best sheepskin manufacturers with them. They just informed me that they are offering some of their NC pre production jackets on their website (check out the sale section). They are a steal for the price... The lady who was largely responsible for producing the Coastal command jacket is also with Alexander Leather and not Aero anymore.

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale.html?p=6
post #3851 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilVo View Post

I don't know whether you are aware of this, but for the next FW collection Alexander Leathers will be responsible for the production of the leather and sheepskin jackets. Alexander Leathers was established as a spin out of Aero Leather (I think the owners and the manager had some problems with each other in the end). They are both located in Scotland, and Alexander Leather took some of the best sheepskin manufacturers with them. They just informed me that they are offering some of their NC pre production jackets on their website (check out the sale section). They are a steal for the price... The lady who was largely responsible for producing the Coastal command jacket is also with Alexander Leather and not Aero anymore.

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale.html?p=6

Thanks for the heads up - that is really interesting and for anyone who takes the NC sample size of 48/38 inch and are the same size as Drew these are fantastic
post #3852 of 4784
post #3853 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilVo View Post

I don't know whether you are aware of this, but for the next FW collection Alexander Leathers will be responsible for the production of the leather and sheepskin jackets. Alexander Leathers was established as a spin out of Aero Leather (I think the owners and the manager had some problems with each other in the end). They are both located in Scotland, and Alexander Leather took some of the best sheepskin manufacturers with them. They just informed me that they are offering some of their NC pre production jackets on their website (check out the sale section). They are a steal for the price... The lady who was largely responsible for producing the Coastal command jacket is also with Alexander Leather and not Aero anymore.

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale.html?p=6

That's a bit of a can of worms. The breakup with Aero Leather was extremely problematic. I'm a bit surprised that Nigel Cabourn went with them for the next sheepskins. You're right though. The widely considered best actual jacket maker did go with Alexander after the split. She made my 1930's halfbelt and it's amazing.



It's an interesting jacket. It's not, in my opinion, a deal. A normal B-3, B-6, or ANJ4 would all go for roughly the same price or about 100-150 pounds more depending on dealer (eastmen, aero, et al. Real McCoys would be way higher let alone The Few). So depending it's about 10% to 20% off. I do like the toggles and really did like the coastal command from a few years ago. It's just so over the top.

It's also not an actual Nigel Cabourn. It's a pre-production. So I don't think it has a tag. I bet when NC puts it on sale it's going to be at least double in price.... But that has more to do with his pricing then costs of production.

I do still regret not picking up a Coastal Command. shog[1].gif
Edited by Tadite - 2/5/14 at 2:02pm
post #3854 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post


It's an interesting jacket. It's not, in my opinion, a deal. A normal B-3, B-6, or ANJ4 would all go for roughly the same price or about 100-150 pounds more depending on dealer (eastmen, aero, et al. Real McCoys would be way higher let alone The Few). So depending it's about 10% to 20% off. I do like the toggles and really did like the coastal command from a few years ago. It's just so over the top.

It's also not an actual Nigel Cabourn. It's a pre-production. So I don't think it has a tag. I bet when NC puts it on sale it's going to be at least double in price.... But that has more to do with his pricing then costs of production.

I do still regret not picking up a Coastal Command. shog[1].gif

No you are right, my guess is that none of these are close to what the AW14 shearling jacket is going to look like - it looks like Nigel settled on something that looked like the Coastal Command jacket spotted in this photo tweeted by Drew as the AW14 collection

post #3855 of 4784
WOW, really looks like a revival of the coastal command jacket... I like it a lot. I have it in black myself, amazing jacket, but very difficult to wear. I am somehow much more into AW collections than the SS ones - I am a big fan of wool, leather and all this heavy materials.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Nigel Cabourn