Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- DROPS! Vintage Belstaff-Woolrich-Moncler-Loro Piana-Cabourn-Bastian-Gloveral Last post on 6/14/11 at 5:04am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Wings + Horns Shirt Jackets, Reigning Champ varsity, Krane bag Last post on 6/6/11 at 12:04am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Belstaff in USA - where are they available? Last post on 3/1/14 at 5:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Could someone please help me with what I have here? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:42pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...Last edited: 11/23/14
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...
Nigel Cabourn - Page 147
Styleforum Top Picks
Also seen this which is really misleading http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nigel-Cabourn-Parker-Jacket-Sir-Edmund-Hillary-/261127617068?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item3ccc6b3a2c
Who is this Parker he keeps talking about.
Just thought I'd post a more historical/sartorial topic while the thread is quiet...
As a huge fan of Cabourns Mallory jackets, and the aura surrounding them, I'm watching "The Wildest Dream", the film about George Mallorys 1924 ascent of Everest with great interest, :
Very nicely made in 2010, with lots of historical images and film clips. In one of these clips, filmed at what I take to be a base camp on the way up Everest, we get a pretty good look at Mallorys jacket, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have the very characteristic pockets that Cabourns recreation has.
Am I right in feeling a little disheartened, or should I just be happy Cabourn did make the pockets different, and hence made the jacket different to 99% of other tweed jackets around? :-)
Valid points, and your photo does show that Mallorys jacket clearly has pockets on the outside, which wasn't easy to see on the films. Good find!
Another fascinating fact to be gleaned from the photo: Whilst in general it appears to be considered sartoritally sound for gentlemen to wear the bottom button undone on their jackets, Mallory actually had all his buttons done. Anyone using their Mallory jacket in the cold will welcome this information and no longer feel compelled to walk around with a cold tummy tums as half the jacket is allowed to flap around. Doing up all the buttons has a significant effect on how warm the jacket is.
Ventile was developed during WW2, so a significant number of years after Mallory died in 1924, yes.
Edited by NickJohannessen - 12/2/12 at 3:32am
The following is a NC X Rugged Museum version.
I'm finding it difficult to see actual differences between the Mallory and Tenzing, apart from a small difference in placement of the buttons (and even there it's inconsistent between various Tenzings). Heres a Tenzing off the NC website, and it appears much closer to a Mallory in button placement:
And here a Mallory, again linked direct from cabourn.com. The bottom button is about an inch higher up than on the Tenzing. Can we play spot the difference for other differences? :-)
I think Mallory is wearing a jacket that looks closer to a NC Tenzing then a NC Mallory. That looks more like a full four button jacket and hence works better when it's all buttoned up. I'm a fan of the Tenzing (which is why I own one) and either way I think it's a good addition to have the ventile. If it had existed back in the 20's I'm sure they would have been running around with it instead of the gabardine.
- Nigel Cabourn
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) 2 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 3 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › Why are people willing to pay more for mainstream high fashion... 6 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Vass - Longwing high boots, brown pebble grain and brown calf 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 13 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...