or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds - Page 4

post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post
I am saying that if you have ugly feet, even nice-looking shoes would not look good on you.

I want you to read what you wrote, and think about it.
post #47 of 89
I have to say of course the Alden's are the nicest looking but I think second is the Florsheim, I just really love the sole. For someone on a severe budget these can't be beat.

Oh and anyone looking to purchase these today the Florsheim website has a promo code "8520" for %15 off (expires 11/11) and they qualify for free shipping. Can't be beat.
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
I want you to read what you wrote, and think about it.

Hmmm.....Maybe...
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post
Hmmm.....Maybe...

when do you, feel free to express it by replying "hay I am a dumbass"
post #50 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstyle View Post
I have to say of course the Alden's are the nicest looking but I think second is the Florsheim, I just really love the sole. For someone on a severe budget these can't be beat.


Going against the SF orthodoxy I agree with you. I don't think the Florsheims are anything special, but I really really dislike the AE longwing. The pointy toe, low toe, and visually short toe box just look like shit to me.
post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
..."hay I am a dumbass"

Well, you said it yourself.
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
..."hay I am a dumbass"
That's sig worthy.
post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
Going against the SF orthodoxy I agree with you. I don't think the Florsheims are anything special, but I really really dislike the AE longwing. The pointy toe, low toe, and visually short toe box just look like shit to me.

man I have stared at the macneils vs aldens for a long time, and still can't figure out what any of that means vs the alden

I'm sure that at a 10 foot distance eye to shoe, 8/10 SF's wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
man I have stared at the macneils vs aldens for a long time, and still can't figure out what any of that means vs the alden I'm sure that at a 10 foot distance eye to shoe, 8/10 SF's wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2
I can spot a pair of Macneils a good distance away due to these three features. I'll try my best to explain what I'm talking about. Take a look here: http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/f...ll%20Cordovan# The third and fifth pictures from the left (the profile shots) show the pronounced downward slope of the toe box from the vamp. The Alden LW is more or less flat in the area. You can also see how far the lace go down the vamp. The leather that makes the open lacing is attached almost at the widest part of the toe box. The Alden LW attaches farther back. The third picture from the right shows how pointy the toe box is. These three features contribute to making the AE longwing a very unbalanced design to my eye. Additionally, they make the shoe look rather dainty in sizes roughly 9 and below. If you have an enormous foot this might be a desirable thing. I hope I've been clear.
post #55 of 89
The Macneils look completely different than the Aldens. The shape isn't even close.
post #56 of 89
99/100 people could not tell the difference. The 1%ers reside here, on Styleforum.
post #57 of 89
My first pair of cordovan kicks were Florsheim Imperials from back in the day. They were widely regarded to be the best at that time (1980s). I have two pairs of Aldens now. The old Florsheims were at least as good as the Aldens are now but I much prefer Alden lasts. The Barrie suits me well. I had a pair of the new 'Sheims in my hands a couple weeks ago and, well, let's just say you get what you pay for. There is no real comparison to the oldies.
post #58 of 89
the florsheims look okay until you wear them once, and realize that the leather wll never look decent again, and fully appreciate how crappy the finishing is on them because they were made in india for 7 dollars. I guess $160 is a good value if you are comparing them to Cole Haan.
post #59 of 89
Who will come forth and champion the BB Black Fleece longwing, made by Alden on a non-Barrie last and with a cute fruit loop possessed by no other longwing?


- B
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Who will come forth and champion the BB Black Fleece longwing, made by Alden on a non-Barrie last and with a cute fruit loop possessed by no other longwing? - B
Or perhaps the single-soled OneShoe™?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds