or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds - Page 2

post #16 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
- B

I don't disagree that the Floresheims may pose a decent value. But, come on, do you really think Manton would say they're comparable to Aldens?
post #17 of 97
I'm praying it's M.A.D
post #18 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
The Florsheim looks like garbage. If the forum can't tell that, there's no hope.

The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo?

The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget.

I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable.

I just don't understand the hate.

Mike
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
I pose to ban anyone from this forum that thinks a stacked heel is made from wood.
+ 1000 Insta-ban status Veblen - that's a funny name. I presume it's ironically chosen. Vintage Florsheim beats all 3. But in this comparison, Alden wins. They look better in real life...
post #20 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo?

The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget.

I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable.

I just don't understand the hate.

Mike

i ve seen other florsheim shoe they look alot better than the one shown on this thread.. that one look so bad.. i think its the colour .. but sometimes picture cant do justice compare to real life
post #21 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
- B

Those aren't Kenmoors, though.
post #22 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo?
Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!
post #23 of 97
It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.
post #24 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Mike
post #25 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?
post #26 of 97
I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America. If they cost that much and were made in an American factory they would be truly tough act to beat. I own the MacNeils and have seen the Aldens and a pair of Kenmoors in person, and would say that for the general public they're all close enough. My personal preference would be a foo-wing. I'm wearing some plaza last cap toes today and definitely think the shape is more appealing than te Barrie.

All things considered if you're working with limited cash and looking for a shoe that can be readily resoled you could do far worse than the Florsheims at that price.
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?

I have 40 years of experience and I disagree. Not the prettiest longwing I have ever seen, but I don't think they are ugly. I agree with you that the Alden is the best of the bunch.

Mike
post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I don't disagree that the Floresheims may pose a decent value. But, come on, do you really think Manton would say they're comparable to Aldens?



Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
Those aren't Kenmoors, though.

Is that model more similar in styling to a washing machine?



Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

Or will he have his lungs pulled out in a martial arts studio through his far too large lapels?



Ruh roh...just heard that Singapore Airlines flight 107 is being diverted to New Orleans...and all the champagne in first class has been fully consumed.


- B
post #29 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
Vintage Florsheim beats all 3. But in this comparison, Alden wins. They look better in real life...
Agreed. I have a pair of vintage made in the USA Florsheim Imperials and they are awesome shoes, but contemporary Florsheims are a travesty. My grandfather would be ashamed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777 View Post
I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America.
Also an excellent point.
post #30 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post
Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!

Wow, this is scathing.


- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds