or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best pudding?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best pudding? - Page 2

post #16 of 41
Wha? I was gonna say the same thing about RICE pudding.
post #17 of 41
Hey Doc-

wheres taro root ?

but its ok.. I like rice pudding the most.
post #18 of 41
Thread Starter 
Who knew rice pudding had such a following? Perhaps I should follow this up with a "Rice pudding: Raisins vs. no raisins" poll. I like nuts, but no raisins.

As for bread pudding, it fell in the chasm between American and English-style puddings. Make up your mind, bread pudding.

Ultimately, anything more solid than rice/tapioca pudding got relegated to the "other" category. Also, anything containing blood/entrails was deemed unfit for comparison.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I can only imagine that Asians will like tapioca.
I like tapioca. It's weird, but I like it.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I like tapioca. It's weird, but I like it.

yeah, like odoreater, i'm forced to eat this out of those tiny pre -made containers. It's sad in a pre-fabricated kind of way.

Anybody remember those funky choclate flavored Pillsbury? "space sticks" They were in foil and went up with the Apollo space missions? Later a version was sold to little kids like me....parents would recoil in horror now.
They were definately in that "odd but good" food category.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
yeah, like odoreater, i'm forced to eat this out of those tiny pre -made containers. It's sad in a pre-fabricated kind of way.

Anybody remember those funky choclate flavored Pillsbury? "space sticks" They were in foil and went up with the Apollo space missions? Later a version was sold to little kids like me....parents would recoil in horror now.
They were definately in that "odd but good" food category.
I don't remember them, but I'm sure they went well with Tang.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Pudding is just pie that has been stripped of its manhood

Pudding is the manhood.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I don't remember them, but I'm sure they went well with Tang.

aaahhh,,yyyess, TANG *nostalgic moment*
post #24 of 41
Bread!!!! Nice one, BTW, Kent. ~ Huntsman
post #25 of 41
J, Yorkshire pudding can be finnicky to make, but their smaller cousin, popovers, is an absolute snap: 1 cup reg AP flour 1/4 tsp fine Salt 2 Tab. Sugar 1 Tab. melted butter 1 cup milk 2 large eggs, beaten Sift and measure flour into a bowl. Add remaining dry ingrediants and mix. Add wet ingrediants, butter last, and whisk to combine. Whisk only to thoroughly combine -- overwhisking will kill the puff. Grease a muffin tin (beef fat is traditional -- a must if you have a ribroast, otherwise Crisco is fine), fill cups 1/3-1/2 full, and bake in a preheated 375F oven for 50-55 minutes. Do not even open the over door for 45min. Avoid calisthenics in the kitchen during cooking time. Remove when quite browned and divine-looking. There are all sorts of variants, mainly exceptionally finnicky ones requiring ultra-high smoke point oils and preheating the pan to 400F before adding the batter, and while they are marginal improvements, this is easy and elegant. ~ Huntsman
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
yeah, like odoreater, i'm forced to eat this out of those tiny pre -made containers. It's sad in a pre-fabricated kind of way.

Anybody remember those funky choclate flavored Pillsbury? "space sticks" They were in foil and went up with the Apollo space missions? Later a version was sold to little kids like me....parents would recoil in horror now.
They were definately in that "odd but good" food category.

Good lord, what a blast from the past. They also had peanutbutter. I remember munching on these as a kid. They didn't stay on the market long, which wasn't surprising, considering that they tasted very artificial, even to a young kid. I could never quite decide whether I liked those things or not, but you could sure pretend you were an astronaut if you ate them while looking up through the window from the luggage space behind the back seat of the Volkswagen.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
J, Yorkshire pudding can be finnicky to make, but their smaller cousin, popovers, is an absolute snap:

1 cup reg AP flour
1/4 tsp fine Salt
2 Tab. Sugar
1 Tab. melted butter
1 cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten

Sift and measure flour into a bowl. Add remaining dry ingrediants and mix. Add wet ingrediants, butter last, and whisk to combine. Whisk only to thoroughly combine -- overwhisking will kill the puff. Grease a muffin tin (beef fat is traditional -- a must if you have a ribroast, otherwise Crisco is fine), fill cups 1/3-1/2 full, and bake in a preheated 375F oven for 50-55 minutes. Do not even open the over door for 45min. Avoid calisthenics in the kitchen during cooking time. Remove when quite browned and divine-looking.

There are all sorts of variants, mainly exceptionally finnicky ones requiring ultra-high smoke point oils and preheating the pan to 400F before adding the batter, and while they are marginal improvements, this is easy and elegant.

~ Huntsman

One other note about making popovers: they'll pop best if you use a cast iron popover pan. Muffin tins and the like just don't pack enough punch to make them pop.

Huntsman, I should have guessed that you'd know what Yorkshire pudding is. It's part of my family's traditional Christmas dinner with roast beef.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
One other note about making popovers: they'll pop best if you use a cast iron popover pan. Muffin tins and the like just don't pack enough punch to make them pop.

True! But you can still get quite a decent rendition from a muffin tin, especially with a good oven. Popover pans are like hen's teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Huntsman, I should have guessed that you'd know what Yorkshire pudding is. It's part of my family's traditional Christmas dinner with roast beef.

Naturally. La dolce vita and all that jazz. English family?

~ Huntsman
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Good lord, what a blast from the past. They also had peanutbutter. I remember munching on these as a kid. They didn't stay on the market long, which wasn't surprising, considering that they tasted very artificial, even to a young kid. I could never quite decide whether I liked those things or not, but you could sure pretend you were an astronaut if you ate them while looking up through the window from the luggage space behind the back seat of the Volkswagen.

Yes! Mine was the appliance size cardboard box, a.k.a. spaceship. You know, if you have a chocolate Powerbar, the taste is similar
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Yes! Mine was the appliance size cardboard box, a.k.a. spaceship. You know, if you have a chocolate Powerbar, the taste is similar

The taste may be similar, but the texture is completely different. I'm not quite sure what to compare it to.

Those space bars seem to have disappeared from the market in about 1970 and I haven't ever heard anybody mention them since . . . until now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best pudding?