or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Help me buy a gun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me buy a gun. - Page 5

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
That makes sense. I know I've seen scuffles in bars that could have gone quite badly if there had been guns involved, but then, those people didn't grow up handling guns, didn't ever have to go through the process of procuring a concealed carry permit, etc. I couldn't remember having read about it, either, so I was curious.
For what it's worth, my experience with most people who carry is that they usually take the responsibility of carrying a lethal weapon very seriously. Similar attitudes came out at the start of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I had no idea you could actually legally own a machine gun in the US. That's... kind of awesome. With that kind of record, I'll subscribe to the "if it ain't broke" line of thought.
It's very restrictive, and new imports and manufacture of Class III (genuine "assault") weaponry has been either illegal or extremely restricted since 1989. LabelKing's estimate of 30k for an M2HB is, at least from what I've seen, exceptionally generous.
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
It's very restrictive, and new imports and manufacture of Class III (genuine "assault") weaponry has been either illegal or extremely restricted since 1989. LabelKing's estimate of 30k for an M2HB is, at least from what I've seen, exceptionally generous.

I never made any estimates about a machine gun.
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
It's very restrictive, and new imports and manufacture of Class III (genuine "assault") weaponry has been either illegal or extremely restricted since 1989. LabelKing's estimate of 30k for an M2HB is, at least from what I've seen, exceptionally generous.

Actually it's '86. Adding to Arethusa's comments, while 'new imports and manufacture has been either illegal or extremely restricted since' May, 1986, ownership of devices made prior to that date is legal provided your state allows it and: You are in accordance with the NFA of 1934 and susbsequent modifications; you pay a $200.00 tax for the transfer (and of course your new FBI file); you pass your background checks (must have a really clean record, even a DUI can get you rejected); and your sheriff signs off on the transfer to you. Prices are high, though there are a few things in the 4k range, 10-50k is common, and 100k-500k is not uncommon. There is a finite supply, and though MGs can be as old as turn of the century, none can be newer than 1986. The bloody things go up (way) faster than the DOW.

Sauce, if you're in Philly, I have know people from that area who shoot here: http://www.classicpistol.com/rentals_rates_info.asp. I suggest renting a 1928 Thompson.

Regards,
Huntsman
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I never made any estimates about a machine gun.
Sorry, meant Huntsman. Your avatars are too similar at 5 in the morning after not having slept for 36 hours.
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
That makes sense. I know I've seen scuffles in bars that could have gone quite badly if there had been guns involved, but then, those people didn't grow up handling guns, didn't ever have to go through the process of procuring a concealed carry permit, etc. I couldn't remember having read about it, either, so I was curious.

The ones I've heard of usually involved people getting in a fight, leaving/being ejected from the bar, and later on being shot as they left the place or something. And most of those happen at the kind of places that have metal detectors.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
The ones I've heard of usually involved people getting in a fight, leaving/being ejected from the bar, and later on being shot as they left the place or something. And most of those happen at the kind of places that have metal detectors.
Reminds me of the classic parking lot scene in "Swingers".
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Do you find the ported barrell significantly reduces recoil?

yes


i love revolvers, but i'm not about to trade or sell my hk p7m13 just yet
post #68 of 84
My grandfather, who's 89, has a Thompson Machine gun (tommy gun) that he's owned since well before there were any regulations. He's got all the proper paperwork and everything necessary. I don't know when it was last fired, but my dad remembers taking it out as a kid and shooting it.

Even among the three or four full gun cabinets in the house, it was always pretty cool to look at the Tommy Gun when visiting my grandparents as a child.
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Sauce, if you're in Philly, I have know people from that area who shoot here: http://www.classicpistol.com/rentals_rates_info.asp. I suggest renting a 1928 Thompson.
I've actually never fired a gun, but--serendipitous timing--a friend of mine wants to go to a range this weekend, and I may end up going with him. As a first-timer, I'll stick to a small calibre hand gun or rifle, but now I know where to go if I ever really want to get that WW2-infantryman-slash-Chicago-gangster feel. That's awesome! I wonder if there's anywhere to fire an old PPSh or something.
post #70 of 84
I fired a Browning Model 1919 on my most recent trip to the range:

post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I've actually never fired a gun, but--serendipitous timing--a friend of mine wants to go to a range this weekend, and I may end up going with him. As a first-timer, I'll stick to a small calibre hand gun or rifle, but now I know where to go if I ever really want to get that WW2-infantryman-slash-Chicago-gangster feel. That's awesome! I wonder if there's anywhere to fire an old PPSh or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I've actually never fired a gun, but--serendipitous timing--a friend of mine wants to go to a range this weekend, and I may end up going with him. As a first-timer, I'll stick to a small calibre hand gun or rifle, but now I know where to go if I ever really want to get that WW2-infantryman-slash-Chicago-gangster feel. That's awesome! I wonder if there's anywhere to fire an old PPSh or something.

Sure, there are a bunch of registered PPSh's, though considering the circumstances of manufacture they aren't the best made and not the kind of thing that would be used as a rental. I don't know if that place has one as I haven't been there.

But I'll totally agree with you and Bradford, Thompsons are quite cool. I've always thought they have that quality philosophers call 'crucial to the sublime.'

Really bad pic, seriously edited:

Anyway, be safe and enjoy.

Regards,
Huntsman
post #72 of 84
Glocks are wonderful handguns, but took a bit of re-learning for me since I was used to firing and reloading a 1911. I'm pretty convinced that I'd get a Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS if I ever bought a handgun for myself. The Beretta is an especially comfortable handgun to hold.
post #73 of 84
points like a 1911 because of the angle of the backstsrap of the handgrip. It also has a trigger pull similar to the Glock because it has an internal striker firing mechanism, so the triger pull is the same with every shot. I like that is has a raised tang on the top of the slide only when a round is in the chamber, and it has a pin that sticks out at the rear of the slide whenever the slide has been racked - which shows the gun is cocked and locked and ready to rock. Lastly, the Springfield XDs have all the advantages of a Glock, yet are priced significantly lower. Worth a look if you want an autoloader.
post #74 of 84
First and foremost (like everyone said) you should
FOR SURE become proficient in firearms in general, and
then super profient in whatever you buy.

You should also make arrangements to practice on
a regular basis.

My favorite personal carry is the
Colt Mustang Pocketlite (this is the allow version
of the regular Mustang), in single action.

It's lighter/smaller/slimer than the PPK, but still packs
the punch of the .380.

Colt discontinued these but they do show up on gunbroker.

Being single action though, I think it is kinda an 'advanced users' gun
(one safety, no decock, etc).

My second choice is the Walther PPK. It has the advantages
of live round indicator, can be double action on the first shot,
and has the decock.

I think both of these can be had for 500 give or take.

The economy version would be a German police turn in
Walther PP in .32. The same features but the barrel is
slightly longer, for about $350 (?) (have not been shopping
in a while)

Also a small word to the future wise: should you choose
modern ammunition like the 'anti terrorist rounds' (basically
the steel jacketed exploding hollowpoints), make this your
second shot in the magazine, and use normal regular ball
ammo for your first shot, just in case you have an accident.

(which you shouldnt have if you become proficient and safe)
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
My grandfather, who's 89, has a Thompson Machine gun (tommy gun) that he's owned since well before there were any regulations. He's got all the proper paperwork and everything necessary. I don't know when it was last fired, but my dad remembers taking it out as a kid and shooting it.

Even among the three or four full gun cabinets in the house, it was always pretty cool to look at the Tommy Gun when visiting my grandparents as a child.
Makes me think of the Clash song, "Tommy Gun"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Help me buy a gun.