or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Dressing up" without jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Dressing up" without jacket

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Going out with some friends,and Im suppose to "dress up". Which means no tshirts ( sad, I know). Now I don't own a blazer, so thats out. Im thinking some dark jeans, a nice shirt and a tie, with some wingtips. Just wondering if you guys have some pics that fit the description. Just so I can get some ideas. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 13
Ooooo be careful here. Tie without a jacket is like a mortal sin to some folks around here.
post #3 of 13
Ditch the jeans, go with a decent pair of wool pants. If you don't have any, try some corduroy pants that aren't too baggy. Then, I would suggest putting a sweater over the collared shirt, forget the tie, leave the top button undone, and wear a dress-casual jacket (e.g., a peacoat) over that. Jeans + wingtips in my opinion is like putting venetian marble flooring inside a Kmart.
post #4 of 13
Tie + no jacket = subway manager.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
Ooooo be careful here. Tie without a jacket is like a mortal sin to some folks around here.

Yes, it does usually look like you just getting back from work at Best Buy. Throw on a sweater or a cardigan and it will be a million times better.
post #6 of 13
I don't mean to derail this thread from OP's question, but:

For those that say tie without sportcoat is bad, what would you do if in your town from March through November it is 80 degrees or more (actually, usually 95 or more and for June, July, and August it's 105 or more)? I'm in Las Vegas. People in Arizona can relate as well.
post #7 of 13
/\\ Wear an unlined sportcoat.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo340 View Post
I don't mean to derail this thread from OP's question, but:

For those that say tie without sportcoat is bad, what would you do if in your town from March through November it is 80 degrees or more (actually, usually 95 or more and for June, July, and August it's 105 or more)? I'm in Las Vegas. People in Arizona can relate as well.

Linen or cotton suit. Or... just don't wear a tie.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post
Yes, it does usually look like you just getting back from work at Best Buy. Throw on a sweater or a cardigan and it will be a million times better.

+1. This would be the only other way to wear a tie and not look ridiculous...
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sounds good guys. Now yet another question. Is it okay to wear a light gray sweater with brown shoes/belt. I never know the basic rules
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Sounds good guys. Now yet another question. Is it okay to wear a light gray sweater with brown shoes/belt. I never know the basic rules

Gray with brown is very good. The only color that I don't wear with brown is black.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Sounds good guys. Now yet another question. Is it okay to wear a light gray sweater with brown shoes/belt. I never know the basic rules
Gray with brown shoes is a good combo.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Awesome, thanks for the help. Finally. With the dark denim, gray sweater,and brown belt/shoes. What would a great tie shirt combo be? Some sort of white/blue shirt with a blue stripe tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Dressing up" without jacket