or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silently Judging Me - and my clothes! - Page 7

post #91 of 101
It is mildy surprising that groupthink would be a problem here. Consider that we are almost all anonymous and most forum members have never seen aother in person. What would be possibly have to gain by following the herd? Interesting. I must admit, however, I have felt myself coming under the sway of it at times, too.
I still believe, though, that a significant portion of what appears to be groupthink is in actuality a general consensus of quality brands.
post #92 of 101
Another Florida person, awesome! You come from the same town one of my first crushes lived in. I agree on that. Alas, I don't fall into this so called "groupthink" much here. I think Gap, Banana Republic, Express, etc. are all fine though obviously not the best. It seems a majority here definitely don't agree with me that some of Thom Browne is wearable. Generally, I get what I think looks good and won't break the bank. Yes, I do consider materials and quality as well vs. price. I'm not much on a clothes buying kick lately due to classes and a crappy job however.
post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
It is mildy surprising that groupthink would be a problem here. Consider that we are almost all anonymous and most forum members have never seen aother in person. What would be possibly have to gain by following the herd? Interesting. I must admit, however, I have felt myself coming under the sway of it at times, too.
I still believe, though, that a significant portion of what appears to be groupthink is in actuality a general consensus of quality brands.

I wouldn't call it a "problem" necessarily. There's nothing wrong or problematic in showing up for work in a fine tailored suit, wearing a splendid pair of shoes and having everything put together in a way that works well - even if the brands that you wear or forum-approved. In fact, depending on your field, this look may be highly desirable. I think the one area where you do want to show some personal style is in your casual or street wear. I freely admit that I'm lacking style in this area - I'm basically a "jeans and t-shirt" guy when I'm not in a suit or a business casual outfit.
post #94 of 101
There's a good chance I know your crush, especially if the person in question went to UF. In any event, it is good to see another small city Florida person on here. Probably the hardest place to "dress up" is small city Florida.
post #95 of 101
yeah... i live in jax but was raised in bradenton. it was amazing when i went there... i felt i was overdressed in my skinny jeans and a tee shirt! but the beaches make up for the lack of sartorial knowladge.
post #96 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
There's a good chance I know your crush, especially if the person in question went to UF. In any event, it is good to see another small city Florida person on here. Probably the hardest place to "dress up" is small city Florida.
Also, you're on Fark, because I lurk on the fark threads and I see you pop up all the time....
*cue creepy twilight zone music*
Seriously, it's weird when the INTERNET becomes a small place.

Also, Get Smart - I like Express, BR, and Gap too. Gap jeans were good, now kinda suck though, express makes good 'casual button-downs', and, in my opinion, some of the best wool slacks for under 150, and I have a black BR velvet blazer that always garners 1000s of compliments. Maybe the clothes I have from them won't last - but my Gap jeans are going strong, some since FRESHMAN YEAR of HIGH SCHOOL.
post #97 of 101
Yeah, I should probably be careful, I tend to troll a lot on Fark. I wouldn't think the two websites' memberships would overlap, you're right, it's weird when the internet is a small world. You aren't also on quatloos.com, I hope?
post #98 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Yeah, I should probably be careful, I tend to troll a lot on Fark. I wouldn't think the two websites' memberships would overlap, you're right, it's weird when the internet is a small world. You aren't also on quatloos.com, I hope?
I wasn't, but now...you'll never know....

I'm actually giving up on Fark - I just can't deal with the stupidity...too much trolling, immaturity, ignorance, and fuck-all. I pop in for the funny threads, like the bacon-on-cat one, and the photoshops. I have a folder on my computer full of fark PS's.

On topic, I realize that perhaps I should consider myself lucky, when I reflect on the ways in which I judge the sartorial efforts around me. The few times I've been horseback-riding, I began to understand a part of what made feudal lords so arrogant - that feeling of being raised above the common man, with a great deal of power between your legs. You really do feel - "out of my way, little man."

At my campus, I often look with real disdain on those who leave their rooms wearing pajama pants, ripped t-shirts(and not the fashionable kind), and groaty adidas flip-flops. I also reserve harsh judgement on those who commit real sartorial sins - buttoning all buttons on a jacket, black shoe/brown belt, etc., as well as those who walk around in oversized black trenchcoats and other 'alternative' accoutrements.

In short, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...which sure as hell isn't me. So judge away, all ye sinners...
post #99 of 101
Please link to "bacon on cat".
post #100 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Please link to "bacon on cat".

Fark link, with awesome pics:
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=2287604

Original link that started it out:
http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/004457.html

post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86
At my campus, I often look with real disdain on those who leave their rooms wearing pajama pants, ripped t-shirts(and not the fashionable kind), and groaty adidas flip-flops. I also reserve harsh judgement on those who commit real sartorial sins - buttoning all buttons on a jacket, black shoe/brown belt, etc., as well as those who walk around in oversized black trenchcoats and other 'alternative' accoutrements.

In short, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...which sure as hell isn't me. So judge away, all ye sinners...

I wore a seersucker suit to work today, which outside of Easter is the first time I've worn it in public. I figured I had to get it in now before summer fades away. Remarkable to see people's reaction to it. "You going yachting?", "You look like a polo ad", "are you trying to replace Matlock", to more compliments than I expected. I always replied with "seersucker - we're bringing it back!"

Just amusing the way that clothes make such an impression.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!