or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silently Judging Me - and my clothes! - Page 3

post #31 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
And I'll continue having it until I die.

There will be sparse attendance at the funeral /cremation
post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARon
I agree with everything that's been said.

Most members of this forum are dedicated dressers who've perfected an individual style with which they're comfortable, and therefore have little concern about what others think, or feeling different from the crowd.

I don't agree with this statement. There's a reason why only particular labels and designers and styles are popular among the forum members. Perhaps the forum members don't care what people on the street think, but they definitely care what others think. If we didn't care what anybody thought, we wouldn't be here discussing these things and posting pictures of ourselves asking for comments from others. Hell, if I didn't care what others think I'd show up at the office wearing a track suit and sneakers.

This whole "rebelious" attitude about not caring what others think is juvenile.
post #33 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I don't agree with this statement. There's a reason why only particular labels and designers and styles are popular among the forum members. Perhaps the forum members don't care what people on the street think, but they definitely care what others think. If we didn't care what anybody thought, we wouldn't be here discussing these things and posting pictures of ourselves asking for comments from others. Hell, if I didn't care what others think I'd show up at the office wearing a track suit and sneakers.

This whole "rebelious" attitude about not caring what others think is juvenile.

totally. Saying "most members have individual style" is being very generous. I think many members here might dress well, but very few have an 'individual style'. I'm very particular about what *I* like to dress in, so obviously I care what *someone* thinks of how I look. No one lives in a vacuum.
post #34 of 101
I've gotten the "intimidating" comment before, from girls. The first time it really weirded me out - I had never considered that as a possibility. Hearing third hand that "she thinks you're too good for her" was very, very strange. Especially when I thought vice versa.

I've also gone into a dive bar in a suit and been snubbed by the (jackass hipster) staff, when before I had gone in in my motorcycle jacket or whatever and gotten fine service.
post #35 of 101
Triple post
post #36 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARon
So, contrary to the suggestion that its "juvenile" or "rebellious" to say we don't care what others think, I think its just the opposite: it reflects maturity and acceptance of who one is and what one is comfortable with.

I think a lot of people will say they don't care what others think (whether it be about clothing or some other issue). However, I wonder how many of us, in our true heart of hearts, really don't care.
post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
There's a reason why only particular labels and designers and styles are popular among the forum members.

My perception is that forum members tend to discuss and favor particular houses and craftsmen (i.e., tailors, shoemakers, shirtmakers, etc. -- not "designers") due to the quality and craftsmanship they represent, not because of their "popularity" with any particular group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Perhaps the forum members don't care what people on the street think, but they definitely care what others think.

Again, in my perception, people come here to learn from experts and others with more experience about the level of quality and craftsmanship that goes into various products/garments with which the inquiring party has less experience. In this respect, they're concerned with learning something far more substantive than what any particular forum member/s thinks about their personal "style."

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
If we didn't care what anybody thought, we wouldn't be here discussing these things and posting pictures of ourselves asking for comments from others.


As one who's never posted a photo of himself seeking comment from forum members, I can't speak to anyone's motivation for this. In my view, anyone who needs the input of others before getting dressed in the morning -- other than perhaps, on occasion, from a significant other -- either has a frail ego or is not yet comfortable with who s/he is (and in that respect may not be in full control of his/her life or destiny).
post #38 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARon
How do you reconcile this, and what's your basis for saying other forum members lack a personal style?


easily, and this has been discussed before without any resolution, the threads on differences between "classic style" and "personal style". If you look at a good percentage of pics in the "WAYWT" thread, many of the faceless images look similar to one another without a whole lot of distinction from one another (other than an occasional tie or pocket square that screams "I AM EXPRESSING MY PERSONAL STYLE"). And I'm not saying this is bad, just noting that if one is involved in conservative fields of work/way of life, this is just the way it is. But having an "individual style" is generally something that has to be forefeited since those environments have rules about dress that one needs to conform to. If I was shown all the headless photos and had to figure out who was who, that would be a severely difficuly challenge.

Remember that thread about what you would wear if you could wear anything? Not many responses saying "I already do"

But I infer from your tone that you feel like I'm inadverently attacking *your* personal style, which isnt the case. Just pointing out my POV.

*oh and my being "particular" about how I dress is about my placing importance of aesthetic over quality. Although I go with both, but if given a choice, I will always choose aesthetic over workmanship. I have a feeling most forumites would choose the opposite.
post #39 of 101
No, I wasn't at all offended. Just wanted to fill in the gaps, and do appreciate both your response and your gentleman-like diplomacy.
post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARon
My perception is that forum members tend to discuss and favor particular houses and craftsmen (i.e., tailors, shoemakers, shirtmakers, etc. -- not "designers") due to the quality and craftsmanship they represent, not because of their "popularity" with any particular group.


In my perception (and I've been here longer than you), forum members tend to discuss and favor particular houses and craftsmen and designers, and whatever else you want to call them due to the fact that they are popular among other forum members. In fact, I think many members on the forum, as Get Smart alluded, will forego their own personal aesthetic taste to conform to the dictates of the forum. How many times have people posted a picture or a link for opinions on a shoe or a piece of clothing that is aesthetically pleasing only to be convinced by the membership not to buy the item because it is not one of the preferred brands, and is therefore inferior? I'm not trying to dis' the preferred brands - heck most of my suits are Corneliani and Hickey-Freeman (and my newly acquired Isaia ); but, there's definitely a desire among many in the membership to conform to a particular "house style" if you will. There's nothing wrong with this because the "house style" is usually a classic and classy, if conservative, style that will help keep you well within the bounds of what others expect of people in the stations that most of us occupy.

Also, while I can't speak for others, I can say that I've posted pictures of myself in various outfits not because of a frail ego or discomfort with who I am, but because there are various members on here with very precise eyes who can tell you when something ever so slight is off. The devil, after all, is in the details. Just check out one of the Jantzen fit threads and you will see just how precise people on this forum can get when analyzing fit. They will notice things that the less observant members, such as myself, would never see or think of. As far as significant others, my significant other thinks I look good in black t-shirts and cowboy hats.
post #41 of 101
"I've posted pictures of myself in various outfits not because of a frail ego or discomfort with who I am, but because there are various members on here with very precise eyes who can tell you when something ever so slight is off. The devil, after all, is in the details. Just check out one of the Jantzen fit threads and you will see just how precise people on this forum can get when analyzing fit. They will notice things that the less observant members, such as myself, would never see or think of."

This confirms what I said before: that people come here, yourself included, seeking input from experts and people with more experience or a more trained eye. In your case, it sounds like you've sought comments on details, not your individual "style," which is what I referenced in the post you disagreed with. Seeking a tailor's or other expert's guidance on details is not the same as dressing, or changing one's style of dress, to fit the tailor's/expert's view.

And as to caring about what others think, if the detail can only be spotted by a trained eye why would you even care -- which was my original/main point (except if you're a closet perfectionist who wants to smooth out every wrinkle, which again is not the same as altering your "style" to satisfy someone else)?
post #42 of 101
Haha, the one "personal style" that I can really identify is Jason's (GS).

I dont know how that kid puts em together.

K
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARon
And as to caring about what others think, if the detail can only be spotted by a trained eye why would you even care -- which was my original/main point (except if you're a closet perfectionist who wants to smooth out every wrinkle, which again is not the same as altering your "style" to satisfy someone else)?

The reason to care is because sometimes, people don't know why something looks better but they know that, for whatever reason, it looks better.

What I see a lot of on this board, and what I am talking about on this thread, is people going from wearing Gucci and Prada shoes to wearing Allen Edmonds, John Lobbs and Edward Greens because the latter brands are preferred by the membership of the forum - even though they are a totally different aesthetic.
post #44 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
What I see a lot of on this board, and what I am talking about on this thread, is people going from wearing Gucci and Prada shoes to wearing Allen Edmonds, John Lobbs and Edward Greens because the latter brands are preferred by the membership of the forum - even though they are a totally different aesthetic.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your point that people give-up their own aesthetic preferences to conform to the preferences of the forum members. When I started buying better clothes, I was very much in to Armani clothes and Ferragamo shoes. My first suit was an Armani MTM. I have since become much more educated about clothing in general. It no longer makes any rational sense for me to purchase inferior designer goods when I can get top-end quality for a bit more. Not only that, but I have become much more tuned-in to proper fit, to the point where I wouldn't consider buying anything besides bespoke shirts and MTM pants. RTW just doesn't cut it. And for jackets, well it only took me one Borrelli to fall in love with the brand. Everything about the brand is just so much better than the crap produced by most designers. To top it off, I now have a style that while perhaps not unique in this world, is very classic and will never look bad. It's got very little to do with conforming.

So I don't think people are consciously or subconsciously conforming to the overall preferences of the board, but becoming more educated and developing a more refined sense of taste. They also learn to seperate their buying habits from the whims of fashion, which makes financial sense as well.
post #45 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
What I see a lot of on this board, and what I am talking about on this thread, is people going from wearing Gucci and Prada shoes to wearing Allen Edmonds, John Lobbs and Edward Greens because the latter brands are preferred by the membership of the forum - even though they are a totally different aesthetic.

I understand your point. But, might it be that people who elect to change from Gucci or Prada to Allen Edmonds or Lobb, for example, do so more because of what they've learned that they previously didn't know about quality and construction rather than just because forum members -- whom they don't know and who may never be in a position to comment upon their personal style -- say so?

And if they did switch, would it be correct to say (as your original challenge contends) they did so because of what another forum member thought (versus what they themselves believed was the appropriate choice for them based on what they'd learned)? As an example, I've learned a lot more than I previously knew about how various suitmakers construct their garments. And a lot of this learning came through reading dozens of posts in a single thread offering different observations and vigorously differing viewpoints and about the hand v.s. machine work of different houses. In fact, what I learned may even affect my next selection.

If it did, would it be accurate to say that I've altered my style because I chose a different suit maker? I don't think so. Choosing a different make/maker is not the same as changing one's style; nor, in that situation, would I have done so to please any particular forum commenter, but simply to test for myself if what I'd learned (or what others contended) was true.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!