• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In another thread, people debated the pros and cons of JCrew.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=crew

What about Land's End?
When I was in college, they were synonymous.
Both were considered expensive and preppy, and the same category of student wore either.

Are there any articles you particularly like or dislike from Land's End?

I have a 10 year old barn jacket from Land's End.
No strong opinion. It's a barn jacket.

When they have sales, a friend of mine buys $20+ khakis and white dress shirts.
That seems like a great price for basic staples.
I think I am going to start treating white shirts as disposables.
Start cheap and $10 to tailor it. Annually.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands end jeans and khakis fit me really well. wish the material was a little heavier. their dress shirts are just fine. unlike jcrew, which may be more stylish, they offer decent staple clothes at a terrific value.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Land's End was anti-prep.

I still remember seeing a BD shirt on someone from them back in the day and thinking, WTF?

I'm not surprised that they are owned by K-Mart now.

- B

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
In another thread, people debated the pros and cons of JCrew.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=crew

What about Land's End?
When I was in college, they were synonymous.
Both were considered expensive and preppy, and the same category of student wore either.

Where the f*ck did you go to college? SUNY? UTEP? I have never associated Lands End with preppy. It's old man clothing. And cheap at that, something old men who can't afford Brooks Bros or other ****** overpriced mall clothing buy.

I have a couple of shirts from them and it is nothing but a cheap staple. I have cheap staples from Target too. They are nothing to be wistful about. If they fit well, congratulations. If they don't, that's to be expected.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Land's End was anti-prep.

I still remember seeing a BD shirt on someone from them back in the day and thinking, WTF?

I'm not surprised that they are owned by K-Mart now.

- B

Now Discuss LL Bean like you did Lands' End

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
From my experience, I've found LE to be an overall better choice with regards to value and fitment for most items purchased when compared with my purchases from Jcrew.

As an example, their button down oxfords in a tailored fit are great staples to my business casual wardrobe as they can be bought for as low as $25/each. I also found LE sweaters to pretty good quality with pretty good fitment as well. While there aren't many stylish jackets available in the regular LE store, I did find the canvas barn jacket to fit slimmer than I expected (this has become my main casual jacket)

I'm still partial to their chinos and jeans....as both are cut oddly in both the traditional and tailored fits (the tailored fit's rise and hips are cut too small, while the traditional fit's thighs and leg openings are too big). I also think the quality of the LE chinos are inferior to Jcrew's twill Bowery pants.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate. Some of the stuff isn't bad at all.

That said, most Lands' End dress shirts are low end. Kmart quality. There, I said it. People, particularly over at Andy's, try to position them as comparable to Brooks'. They're not, in no way. They are, however, cheap.

Things I've bought and liked from LE:
Knit ties: As good as any. I can't tell much difference in my cheapest knits and my expensive ones. I wear knits from J. Crew, Polo, and LE more than I wear my Charvets. It all comes down to color.

Portuguese flannel shirts: Three of my favorite casual flannel shirts came from LE. The tattersalls are softer and fuzzier than my Barbours, though they cost much less. And they've worn extremely well.

Trim-fit cords: Batting above their weight with these. Though, sadly, I haven't seen any in this year's offerings.

Cord sportcoat: Bought one just this fall and really dig it. Unstructured, easy to wear. Flapped pockets with buttons, even on the breast. Don't see that often.

Some of the shoes. LE has offered some surprisingly nice shoes, with some made in England snapped up by members here.

LE, much like J. Crew, is hit or miss. You can end up in comically baggy khakis and a scratchy shirt if you're not careful. But the return policy can't be beat, and free shipping coupons abound, so there's not much risk.

Overall, I like quite a bit of LE's casual clothing, not so much its dressier stuff. But for folks on a budget, it's generally good value.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see that LE offers the Allen Edmonds MacNeil. Any chance they have seconds in stock too?

spacer.gif

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WingTipSh...6&origin=index

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Haters gonna hate. Some of the stuff isn't bad at all.

That said, most Lands' End dress shirts are low end. Kmart quality. There, I said it. People, particularly over at Andy's, try to position them as comparable to Brooks'. They're not, in no way. They are, however, cheap.

Things I've bought and liked from LE:
Knit ties: As good as any. I can't tell much difference in my cheapest knits and my expensive ones. I wear knits from J. Crew, Polo, and LE more than I wear my Charvets. It all comes down to color.

Portuguese flannel shirts: Three of my favorite casual flannel shirts came from LE. The tattersalls are softer and fuzzier than my Barbours, though they cost much less. And they've worn extremely well.

Trim-fit cords: Batting above their weight with these. Though, sadly, I haven't seen any in this year's offerings.

Cord sportcoat: Bought one just this fall and really dig it. Unstructured, easy to wear. Flapped pockets with buttons, even on the breast. Don't see that often.

Some of the shoes. LE has offered some surprisingly nice shoes, with some made in England snapped up by members here.

LE, much like J. Crew, is hit or miss. You can end up in comically baggy khakis and a scratchy shirt if you're not careful. But the return policy can't be beat, and free shipping coupons abound, so there's not much risk.

Overall, I like quite a bit of LE's casual clothing, not so much its dressier stuff. But for folks on a budget, it's generally good value.

I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Their trunk underpants are fantastic value and no longer available at a similar price Down Under since the demise of Gowings. Their shirts are pretty ordinary. Their shorts are great on sale. The driving moccasins are first class. I bought some of their Irish linen suits a few years ago and they are still going strong and were well made in Nicaragua.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I bought a couple of cashmere sweaters from them at $150 ea. while online. I realized I wasn't going to get top quality going in, buy hey, I need a couple of thin sweaters so what the heck. I got what I paid for - low quality cashmere. I was not wild about the sizing however. The mediums were too short in the arms and body for me. I returned them for larges, but they were too long in the body and baggy to boot. There was no happy middle ground.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads