or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew - Page 5

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBluto View Post

I guess that would depend on the street and the area.

 

LE and Bean are inexpensive mass market clothes for most people above a certain class. Nothing bad about them but I doubt you'll be finding any $30 shoes there. That's more Walmart stuff.

I meant to say that Bean and LE would be considered ordinary stuff unless you are a poor person.

post #62 of 79
Just to add my two cents, I have a number of Land's End no-iron dress shirts and I think they are decent. I think the quality may have slipped a little bit since I first ordered some about ten years ago, but they get the job done for me. Aside from the shirts (and a couple of ties), I haven't really ordered much else from them.

My biggest complaint with the shirts (which seems to be echoed by many here) is that they aren't slim-fitting enough. The "tailored" fit is definitely better than the regular, although I wish it was still a little smaller in the arms and chest. I take about a 16 collar, but wish I could order the body of the shirt in the equivalent of a 15.5 collar. Still, I find them to be better than most other OTR dress shirts that I've tried at a comparable price point (i.e. ~$50).

That isn't to say that there isn't something out there that is a comparable price with superior fit and quality. However, I just haven't been able to find it (yet). I'm certainly eager to hear suggestions. I just find it hard to justify paying +$100 for OTR "everyday work shirts" that will, in my eyes, only be marginally better. But maybe I just haven't found the proper price/quality sweet spot yet. Until then, the LE shirts will probably suffice.
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

Just to add my two cents, I have a number of Land's End no-iron dress shirts and I think they are decent. I think the quality may have slipped a little bit since I first ordered some about ten years ago, but they get the job done for me. Aside from the shirts (and a couple of ties), I haven't really ordered much else from them.
My biggest complaint with the shirts (which seems to be echoed by many here) is that they aren't slim-fitting enough. The "tailored" fit is definitely better than the regular, although I wish it was still a little smaller in the arms and chest. I take about a 16 collar, but wish I could order the body of the shirt in the equivalent of a 15.5 collar. Still, I find them to be better than most other OTR dress shirts that I've tried at a comparable price point (i.e. ~$50).
That isn't to say that there isn't something out there that is a comparable price with superior fit and quality. However, I just haven't been able to find it (yet). I'm certainly eager to hear suggestions. I just find it hard to justify paying +$100 for OTR "everyday work shirts" that will, in my eyes, only be marginally better. But maybe I just haven't found the proper price/quality sweet spot yet. Until then, the LE shirts will probably suffice.

How many shirts do you wear out a year on average?

post #64 of 79
At 65, my father (an astrophysicist who wears black socks with Birkenstocks) switched from Lands' End, from whom he had been ordering shirts from for two plus decades, to Brooks Brothers. I was so proud of him.

With the love that LE knit ties are getting on this thread, I am on their website right now looking to order one.
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

I have a number of Land's End no-iron dress shirts and I think they are decent. I think the quality may have slipped a little bit since I first ordered some about ten years ago, but they get the job done for me.


There is a Land's End outlet store very close to me that sells overstocks, discontinued items, and returns at excellent prices, so I used to get a lot of basic shirts, turtlenecks, and chinos there.  The quality plummeted on most items after LE was bought by Sears a few years ago.  I don't buy their stuff anymore.

post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBluto View Post

How many shirts do you wear out a year on average?

Probably one or two a year, although I never have a huge number at any given time (my clothing storage space is pretty limited, so I try to only keep things that I will use on a semi-regular basis). As a result, many of my shirts tend to get pretty heavy wear.
post #67 of 79
Thread Starter 
http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tailored-2-button-donegal-jacket~231438_59.html


I just got this Donegal style tweed jacket. Tailored slim fit. Modern length. Sleeves length is even right. This thing needs no tailoring for me. Most tweed looks like grandpa stuff. This one is done just right, and looks modern, casual, and stylish.

If you're unsure about adding tweed to your wardrobe, and don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on something iffy you might only wear once ....this is the way to do it... With the massive 40% off sale, this is a homerun at $112 shipped. (It's now $125 with 30% off)

The jacket can go with almost any casual pant (khakis, cords, jeans, etc) I could not be happier with this purchase. And, to the dismay of brand whores of SF, no it didn't melt or explode on the first wear just because it's Land's End. I plan to add this to the list of items I get a ton of use from for many years.
Edited by Reevolving - 9/29/12 at 5:17pm
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tailored-2-button-donegal-jacket~231438_59.html

I just got this Donegal style tweed jacket.
Perfect tailored slim fit. Perfect length for me. Sleeves were even perfect.
With the massive 40% off sale, this is a homerun at $112 shipped. (It's now $125 with 30% off)
I could not be happer, and this is the way to do if you're unsure if you can rock tweed.
Most tweed looks like grandpa stuff. This one is done just right, and looks 20s/30s casual and stylish.
The jacket can go with almost any casual pant (khakis, cords, jeans, etc)
Add this to the list of items you get a ton of use from.

I also got this and the donegal pants during the 40% off sale. Having the sleeves lengthened a bit and having the pants slimmed a bit.
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post


I also got this and the donegal pants during the 40% off sale. Having the sleeves lengthened a bit and having the pants slimmed a bit.

Looks interesting, and certainly can't beat the price. Sadly, it looks like they don't have any long sizes left, so not an option for me.

post #70 of 79
So I can summize that the $20 clearance dress shirts I got are a pretty good value, and what I got is plenty servicable for the price, but not a high end shirt.....is that a fairly accuate conclusion?

I supposea similar conclusion can be reached for their sports coats and cashmere sweaters on clearance...servicable, but certainly not top quality, and a good value for the price, especially if on a promotional saving after it is on clearance?

I never expect a $20 dressshirt to be on par with a Thomas Pink shirt or even Brooks Brothers.
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnc View Post

So I can summize that the $20 clearance dress shirts I got are a pretty good value, and what I got is plenty servicable for the price, but not a high end shirt.....is that a fairly accuate conclusion?

I supposea similar conclusion can be reached for their sports coats and cashmere sweaters on clearance...servicable, but certainly not top quality, and a good value for the price, especially if on a promotional saving after it is on clearance?

I never expect a $20 dressshirt to be on par with a Thomas Pink shirt or even Brooks Brothers.

I remember after I got my first "real" job I went to the Thos. Pink store to buy my first "real" "expensive" shirt.  I wanted to see what a shirt that's over $100 is like.  I was wearing a Lands' End "Royal Oxford" shirt.  The sales guy was like "Nice shirt, is it a Turnbull and Asser?"  I should have walked out right then and there.  (Note at the time I think it was a $50-60 or so shirt.  I got it on sale for about $30 probably)

 

I still have a Thos. Pink shirt hanging in my closet, right next to all my Land's End shirts.  I hardly ever wear it.  It's a fine shirt, I just don't like it as much as I like my Land's End ones.

post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacke View Post

I remember after I got my first "real" job I went to the Thos. Pink store to buy my first "real" "expensive" shirt.  I wanted to see what a shirt that's over $100 is like.  I was wearing a Lands' End "Royal Oxford" shirt.  The sales guy was like "Nice shirt, is it a Turnbull and Asser?"  I should have walked out right then and there.  (Note at the time I think it was a $50-60 or so shirt.  I got it on sale for about $30 probably)

 

I still have a Thos. Pink shirt hanging in my closet, right next to all my Land's End shirts.  I hardly ever wear it.  It's a fine shirt, I just don't like it as much as I like my Land's End ones.

I actually don't mind the Land's End shirts either. In fact, I probably like them as much as the Brooks Brother's shirts that I've been wearing lately, and the LE shirts are cheaper. However, the LE tailored fit shirts are still a little too baggy for me, and the BB ESF fit better. I actually e-mailed Land's End and told them that if they carried something on-par to the BB ESF fit, I'd probably go back to ordering from them.

 

I will say that the quality of the LE shirts (as with a lot of the stuff that LE carries) isn't quite where it used to be about 10 years ago, but I think that's true of a lot of mass market retailers.

post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnc View Post

So I can summize that the $20 clearance dress shirts I got are a pretty good value, and what I got is plenty servicable for the price, but not a high end shirt.....is that a fairly accuate conclusion?

I supposea similar conclusion can be reached for their sports coats and cashmere sweaters on clearance...servicable, but certainly not top quality, and a good value for the price, especially if on a promotional saving after it is on clearance?

I never expect a $20 dressshirt to be on par with a Thomas Pink shirt or even Brooks Brothers.

I think that's exactly right. Good value for the money and a way to get some additional pieces in your closet for a reasonable price. I've purchased a decent amount of LE on clearance. Quality isn't amazing but it's serviceable and I have no problem reaching for the clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

I actually don't mind the Land's End shirts either. In fact, I probably like them as much as the Brooks Brother's shirts that I've been wearing lately, and the LE shirts are cheaper. However, the LE tailored fit shirts are still a little too baggy for me, and the BB ESF fit better. I actually e-mailed Land's End and told them that if they carried something on-par to the BB ESF fit, I'd probably go back to ordering from them.

I will say that the quality of the LE shirts (as with a lot of the stuff that LE carries) isn't quite where it used to be about 10 years ago, but I think that's true of a lot of mass market retailers.

+1. I used to purchase some through their custom program as a way to fill my closet with basic essentials for a reasonable price. This was before Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers offered an extra slim fit shirt. Sadly, the custom program has been discontinued, but the shirts were definitely not bad for what they were, especially the oxfords.
post #74 of 79
I have quite a few LE shirts, some of their trousers and a few of their ties. On the whole, I find LE gives very good value for the money. Are they top-flight stuff? Obviously not, but they're decent, I find, and, realistically, you are not going to find top-flight goods at LE prices.
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

I have quite a few LE shirts, some of their trousers and a few of their ties. On the whole, I find LE gives very good value for the money. Are they top-flight stuff? Obviously not, but they're decent, I find, and, realistically, you are not going to find top-flight goods at LE prices.

About my opinion. They provide excellent value for the money. No, they're not ridiculously high quality, but they are leaps and bounds above most of the stuff you can get for the same price from most other sources.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew