or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Bourbon recommendation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bourbon recommendation

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I like single malt scotchs better than bourbon. On the other hand I´ve only drank pretty cheap bourbons (<50euros). But now I`ve decided to buy some good bourbon. It would be nice if the price of the whiskey could be under 100euros.

Can you recommend something ?
post #2 of 26
Many bourbons have their champions. However, a quick run-down includes

Knob Creek
Booker's
Maker's Mark
Jim Beam Black (not sure on your price points over there)

Tennessee whiskey is similar to bourbon except that it is filtered through charcoal, which imparts its own flavor. For that I would recommend Jack Daniel's Black label.

In fact, I keep Jack Daniels on hand since I have friends who will drink only that and no other whiskey.
post #3 of 26
I like Booker's (over 100 proof but smooth). Woodford Reserve & Maker's Mark are good also. All 3 are true Kentucky Bourbons.
post #4 of 26
Eagle Rare if you can find it.
post #5 of 26
Since you're just starting out with bourbon, I'd generally suggest Maker's Mark, as it has a very approachable taste. However, since you have a taste for single malt scotches, you may prefer a smokier bourbon (you may find Maker's to be a bit too sweet). Given this, I'd recommend Knob Creek or Eagle Rare 10 yo. Hirsch 16 yo is very good, too, if you can get it (production was discontinued awhile ago). Baker's might also be a good choice, but a bit more pricey.

I like Booker's, but it's got a very high proof for bourbon (I think it approaches 130). You may find this off-putting, and I wouldn't recommend Booker's as a good "starter" bourbon (I only enjoy it once in awhile). Some other choices might be Blanton's (a very good, very smooth bourbon), Buffalo Trace (a very good, reasonably priced bourbon - don't know if you'll be able to get it), or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent - expensive).

I'm not a big fan of Woodford, personally. It's smokey, but I find the taste to be kind of thin and the finish to be weak.

Also, while not a bourbon, Jack Daniel's is a fine Tennessee Whiskey with a consistently good taste. You might find it too sweet, however.
post #6 of 26
A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute
A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.

I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).
post #8 of 26
another vote for knob creek. very good, very resonable.
post #9 of 26
+1 on Knob Creek from a single malt drinker. Maker's mark is pretty blah, ok for mixed drinks.
post #10 of 26
Remember that Afficianado is from Finland, and what's available there is often significantly different from what's available in the United States. For example, I would recommend something from Wild Turkey (the Rare Breed is wonderful, and I like the Russel's Reserve, too), but the WT website tells me that the 80 proof, which is the least exciting WT bottling, is the only one available in Finland.
post #11 of 26
How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.

MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.
post #13 of 26
Another vote for Knob Creek. I tend to alternate between that and Maker's Mark, but I prefer the former.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcusey
MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.

Having tried both, I think this is spot on. Eagle Rare also does a 17 yo (I think) bottling. I have yet to try it.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).
Yeah. I've got a couple of bottles stashed away in my home. Bought them back when they were about $110 a bottle. I should have bought more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Bourbon recommendation