• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has JM Weston abandoned the US?

braindoc

Reaction score
JM Weston closed their only US branch over the summer but originally said that it was only a move and that another store would open later this year on Madison Avenue. There is a space on Madison that it supposed to be JM Weston but it has not opened. The website no longer lists a New York boutique. Does anyone know if Weston plans to open another boutique? They are carried at Saks but the staff rely does not know the product or the sizing and they are also carried by some wonderful stores such as Leffot but the stock is limited. I really liked the dedicated Weston branch and was hoping that it would open again.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
edit: double post

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braindoc
JM Weston closed their only US branch over the summer but originally said that it was only a move and that another store would open later this year on Madison Avenue. There is a space on Madison that it supposed to be JM Weston but it has not opened. The website no longer lists a New York boutique. Does anyone know if Weston plans to open another boutique? They are carried at Saks but the staff rely does not know the product or the sizing and they are also carried by some wonderful stores such as Leffot but the stock is limited. I really liked the dedicated Weston branch and was hoping that it would open again.

I had a feeling they were leaving for good and I picked up a bunch of the iconic models (the triple chasse, dark brown suede golf etc.) before they fled.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I had a feeling they were leaving for good and I picked up a bunch of the iconic models (the triple chasse, dark brown suede golf etc.) before they fled.

They most likely have changed their commercial strategy in the US...

JM WESTON is an iconic brand very popular amongst mainly French customers ...

The shop in London has many French expats as customers...

I'm not sure they're as famous in the US...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boutique is supposed to be relocating to Madison Avenue between 57th and 58th with "Opening Fall 2010" in the window.

Pretty stupid though to close for 3+ months though...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Boutique is supposed to be relocating to Madison Avenue between 57th and 58th with "Opening Fall 2010" in the window.

Pretty stupid though to close for 3+ months though...

Strange...

Is it a success story?

I don't how successful is Weston in the states...

Kuro, I'm coming to Paris to see Cifonelli.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Strange...

Is it a success story?

I don't how successful is Weston in the states...

Kuro, I'm coming to Paris to see Cifonelli.

Actually this isn't the 1st time weston has closed with a planned reopening. Boutique was orignally 1 block away from where it is supposed to reopen. They closed that location and a few months later reopened at their last location. Then they closed again for a few months to remodel to the current interior (old interior was much nicer IMO).

I see the 180 often and also the Savile Line whole-cut.

Cifonelli
inlove.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

Were the shoes reduced enough to hint they might be going out of business?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Were the shoes reduced enough to hint they might be going out of business?

Nah, full price. But I got the vibe from the sales guy that they might be pulling up stakes.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They most likely have changed their commercial strategy in the US...

JM WESTON is an iconic brand very popular amongst mainly French customers ...

The shop in London has many French expats as customers...

I'm not sure they're as famous in the US...

No they're not. But they never seemed to make the effort.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
No they're not. But they never seemed to make the effort.

In Paris, JM WESTON still has a nearly mythical status amongst the fashionable youngsters ...

It started in the very rich part of the capitale before spreading everywhere...

All my friends were wearing them and it is a very strong lifestyle/cultural statement to own a pair ...

They never really repeated the same success story abroad...

ralphwho

Reaction score
are they worth the churchs to EG price, but victims of SF group-think, or just not worth it?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Paris, JM WESTON still has a nearly mythical status amongst the fashionable youngsters ... It started in the very rich part of the capitale before spreading everywhere... All my friends were wearing them and it is a very strong lifestyle/cultural statement to own a pair ... They never really repeated the same success story abroad...
Yes. I've loved them for years even though I couldn't usually find my size- very wide, even in Paris. In New York Weston had (has?) a flagship store for more than 15 years. Outside of New York, one might find a limited selection in higher end stores for a few seasons, then the line would typically be dropped. At least that has been my impression in SanFrancisco.

ralphwho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Yes. I've loved them for years even though I couldn't usually find my size-
very wide, even in Paris. In New York Weston had (has?) a flagship store
for more than 15 years. Outside of New York, one might find a limited
selection in higher end store for a few seasons, then the line would typically be
dropped. At least that has been my impression in SanFrancisco.

are they worth the churchs to EG price, but victims of SF group-think, or just not worth it?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to pick up a pair of the 180s -

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads