or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I hate San Francisco. - Page 62

post #916 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

mordecai, what does a three-hour line look like? I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around this notion.

I'm struggling to think of any restaurant in town that gets a 3 hour wait - Dottie's and Mama's come to mind, but obviously they're not in the Mish, and 3 hours seems unlikely, even for them. Boogaloo's fits the geographic constraint, but again, hard to believe the wait is ever much more than 60 - 90 minutes.

Maybe I'm just ill-equipped to estimate, since at the first sign of a wait lasting longer than about 15 minutes I'm on to the next place.
post #917 of 2649
humble-bragging indeed. seriously, anyone who hates the bay area cannot have lived anywhere else.
post #918 of 2649
I think it was called Foreign Cinema
post #919 of 2649
Ha! It's not worth a three-hour wait. It's a tasty brunch, though.
post #920 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

humble-bragging indeed. seriously, anyone who hates the bay area cannot have lived anywhere else.

I've also lived in Westwood and Beverly Hills. It's a beautiful piece of land with a lot to offer but the people make it nearly insufferable. The most narrow minded, self impressed bunch I've ever seen, and getting so much worse by the year. All of these vaunted three hour restaurants follow the same formula of adding gobs of fat and sugar to everything to impress the palate reared on hohos and stouffers. I guess I may be nuts, but I've lived here long enough to have some perspective on the place.
post #921 of 2649
It's not just San Francisco with the waiting. When I lived in D.C. I waited 2 1/2 hours for a restaurant at the behest of my then girlfriend.

BTW, I don't believe that folks in San Francisco are more smug, etc than any other big city. I love it here. Don't move here, if (a) you want things cheap; (b) you want a ton of space; (c) you can't tolerate people leading "unconventional lives" (if if that unconventionality is not that radical or dissimilar to other members in the city). I love that I walk near my apartment that there are drag queens and naked people. I don't do those things myself, but I want to live in a place where you're free to do so.

Move here because you don't like the heat, you like burritos, you like to dress up in costume for no particular reason, people have the energy and knowledge to make things (new business, new styles), if you want to walk up really large hills, and if you like dogs more than children.

I've lived all over this great big nation (Chicago, Columbus, Seattle, Los Angeles, Orlando, Washington, DC, and now SF). I've visited about 43 states. For my money (and you do have to spend a lot of it) I love San Francisco. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #922 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

I've also lived in Westwood and Beverly Hills. It's a beautiful piece of land with a lot to offer but the people make it nearly insufferable. The most narrow minded, self impressed bunch I've ever seen, and getting so much worse by the year. All of these vaunted three hour restaurants follow the same formula of adding gobs of fat and sugar to everything to impress the palate reared on hohos and stouffers. I guess I may be nuts, but I've lived here long enough to have some perspective on the place.

i'm not arguing with your descriptions. it's just the relative weight you give them. i would wager you havent' spent much time in either BH or Westwood in years. now THOSE are places that would make you crazy.
post #923 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I think it was called Foreign Cinema

There's this amazing invention called "a reservation". It's quite incredible - once you have deployed your "reservation", you simply walk into the restaurant, identify yourself (picture ID not usually required) and they show you directly to your seat. It's quite remarkable.

Foreign Cinema is one of my favorite brunch locations precisely because they accept reservations.
post #924 of 2649
Matt makes a fair point about insufferable people in SF. There are a bunch of narrow-minded, self-impressed folks here. (I hope I'm not one of them...) I just try to ignore them and enjoy the rest of the stuff on offer.
post #925 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

There's this amazing invention called "a reservation". It's quite incredible - once you have deployed your "reservation", you simply walk into the restaurant, identify yourself (picture ID not usually required) and they show you directly to your seat. It's quite remarkable.
Foreign Cinema is one of my favorite brunch locations precisely because they accept reservations.

i believe at foreign cinema, they prefer "prenotazione". could be wrong about that.
post #926 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

There's this amazing invention called "a reservation". It's quite incredible - once you have deployed your "reservation", you simply walk into the restaurant, identify yourself (picture ID not usually required) and they show you directly to your seat. It's quite remarkable.
Foreign Cinema is one of my favorite brunch locations precisely because they accept reservations.

i believe at foreign cinema, they prefer "prenotazione". could be wrong about that.

They do, but they also complain that it makes them feel bloated and cranky.
post #927 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

There's this amazing invention called "a reservation". It's quite incredible - once you have deployed your "reservation", you simply walk into the restaurant, identify yourself (picture ID not usually required) and they show you directly to your seat. It's quite remarkable.
Foreign Cinema is one of my favorite brunch locations precisely because they accept reservations.

Tell me, smugboy, when you're visiting a city for a couple of days, do you plan 3 meals a day in advance and then research even the breakfast spots to find out whether they have a reliable line, and if so, whether they take reservations?
post #928 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Matt makes a fair point about insufferable people in SF. There are a bunch of narrow-minded, self-impressed folks here. (I hope I'm not one of them...) I just try to ignore them and enjoy the rest of the stuff on offer.

No. You're cool. That's the difficulty ith these kinds of discussions online. They touch personal nerves. Not intended from me. If I thought one of you were a ass I would say so.

Fg, I do spend a bit of time in bh due to family. It is tough in it's own way, but a monolithic town built on being monolithic is less insufferable than a monolithic city which bills itself on being diverse. Maybe that is part of the hipster irony. I'm not sure.

Also, I don't brunch.
post #929 of 2649
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by royskeen View Post

It's not just San Francisco with the waiting. When I lived in D.C. I waited 2 1/2 hours for a restaurant at the behest of my then girlfriend.
BTW, I don't believe that folks in San Francisco are more smug, etc than any other big city. I love it here. Don't move here, if (a) you want things cheap; (b) you want a ton of space; (c) you can't tolerate people leading "unconventional lives" (if if that unconventionality is not that radical or dissimilar to other members in the city). I love that I walk near my apartment that there are drag queens and naked people. I don't do those things myself, but I want to live in a place where you're free to do so.
Move here because you don't like the heat, you like burritos, you like to dress up in costume for no particular reason, people have the energy and knowledge to make things (new business, new styles), if you want to walk up really large hills, and if you like dogs more than children.
I've lived all over this great big nation (Chicago, Columbus, Seattle, Los Angeles, Orlando, Washington, DC, and now SF). I've visited about 43 states. For my money (and you do have to spend a lot of it) I love San Francisco. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

That is a well-reasoned, lucid and passionate defense of San Francisco. Now get the fuck out of my thread.

 

lefty
 

 

post #930 of 2649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkane View Post


The best and brightest thing made the entire thread laugh, but this is an admirable Grade A booster post.

My comment sounded more douchey than intended.

The point I was trying to make was that, for better or worse, people come here/SV from all over believing that they've got an idea that will change the world and they can hit it big based on brains. My experience has been that people don't care where/if you've gone to college, what color you are, your sex, who you marry or what you wear as long as you are capable. That creates a kind of energy that I think is very unique and exciting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.