or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I hate San Francisco. - Page 7

post #91 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I think it is physically the most beautiful place in the world. The people are not nice but not overtly rude either. More like condescending.

There is no bum like a Berkeley bum.
Fail.
post #92 of 2715
To me San Francisco is the perfect example of what happens when educated, spoiled white people get together in one place.
post #93 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
To me San Francisco is the perfect example of what happens when educated, spoiled white people get together in one place.

In reality it's more like highly trained white collar workers with little imagination or taste. Still not a bad city.
post #94 of 2715
^^ That'd be the small California towns that make up Silicon Valley, the world's largest soulless suburb.
post #95 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
^^ That'd be the small California towns that make up Silicon Valley, the world's largest soulless suburb.
Same shit.
post #96 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
^^ That'd be the small California towns that make up Silicon Valley, the world's largest soulless suburb.

This part is hell on earth, I sorta counted it as SF but I guess it is "greater SF" if I want to be precise.
post #97 of 2715
Really? I had the impression that the cultural divide was rather pronounced. http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/24/cal...om-the-valley/
post #98 of 2715
When I was growing up in the South, I dreamed of someday living in SF. It was the second large city that I ended up living in post-college (late 90s), and though I certainly had a lot of fun in the couple of years I was there, the city did not live up to my expectations. To be honest, I felt pretty let down by the reality of the place. I actually found myself unexpectedly enjoying LA much more when I moved there immediately after SF.
post #99 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
You should move to Pittsburgh.

I actually like Pittsburgh

lefty - sounds like the first impression isn't the best... Have you been hanging out in the Tenderloin ?
post #100 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
Understatement. All of these perpetually smug and uber-liberal cities tend to have the ugliest of wimminz. (See also: Portland, Ore).

Here is the way I think about NY and SF.

If you are on the east coast and ambitious and smart - you head out to NY and try and become a investment banker or other business person.
On the west coast - you go to Silicon Valley and try a startup.

On the east coast - if you are gorgeous - you head out to NY and try and become a model or actress.
On the west coast - you head out to LA.

So basically, if you are ambitious and smart, you leave SF for the Peninsula; and if you are hot, you go down to LA.

Whereas NY is a destination for both.


SF would be better if they loosened up the building code a lot. The old houses aren't very charming, they are mostly ratty. More density and more mixed-use would lower rents and make the city interesting. Then they wouldn't need the retarded rent stabilization that encourages super high initial rents and minimal ongoing investment.
post #101 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Really? I had the impression that the cultural divide was rather pronounced.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/24/cal...om-the-valley/

that article is vomit-inducing. wtf
post #102 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Really? I had the impression that the cultural divide was rather pronounced. http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/24/cal...om-the-valley/
Sure, there are differences, but they aren't that great. I've lived in both for long periods of time, both populations are vomit inducing. Basically, same smug assholery, different markers of being cool.
post #103 of 2715
I prefer New York. SF has a kind of parochial and suburban aspect to it - a bit staid in comparison. And yet it's ironically dirtier. I love the geography and architecture of the place though.
post #104 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will C. View Post
I prefer New York. SF has a kind of parochial and suburban aspect to it - a bit staid in comparison. And yet it's ironically dirtier. I love the geography and architecture of the place though.
Well, the architecture is probably the worst of any world class city, so I am not sure where you are going with this. It is a nice piece of land...
post #105 of 2715
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Well, the architecture is probably the worst of any world class city, so I am not sure where you are going with this. It is a nice piece of land...

You don't like the old residential architecture of San Francisco? It gave me continual enjoyment when I lived there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.