or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I hate San Francisco. - Page 107

post #1591 of 2698
Thread Starter 

Not to interrupt the lovefest, but 3822 miles later this is my sky.

 

1000

 

lefty

post #1592 of 2698
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Surprisingly few graffiti on those roof tanks.
post #1593 of 2698
Thread Starter 

Chelsea. The gays have better things to do than deface property.

 

lefty

post #1594 of 2698
I may have been in that building.
post #1595 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Not to interrupt the lovefest, but 3822 miles later this is my sky.



lefty

Temporary digs or a change of plans?
post #1596 of 2698
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I may have been in that building.

 

I never know if you're serious or have a Catskillish Myron Cohen sense of humour.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Temporary digs or a change of plans?

 

Temp corp housing, but too small after our beautiful SanFo apt. Already looking for another.

 

Washington was humbling. Had mere hours so taxied to the Lincoln Memorial, which was possibly the greatest monument to a man I've ever seen. The nuance of the sculpture, the overwhelming weight of the structure, and the power of the speeches will stick with me for a long time. I kept glancing back at the building as we made our was down the mall to the hill.

 

The Vietnam Vet memorial was equally powerful, but in a way that is much more subtle. As you descend into the piece the depth of the sacrifice of these men and women begins to creep up on you until you're buried along with them facing your reflection in the polished granite.

 

Then onto the WW2 tribute which is an utter disaster of a memorial/sculpture/tribute. A 12-year-old child could have done a better job. However, there were a few dozen aged soldiers hobbling to the place and time that defined them and possibly their nation. Bent, crippled and chair bound, these remnants of the greatest generation nonetheless stood tall one more time. Brought my wife and me to tears.

 

Needed an emotional break so hit the the Smith A&S Museum. Jesus Christ ... the Spirit of St Louis, Apollo 11 capsule, lunar module and a SS20 are in the lobby. 

 

That was pretty cool. Can't wait to go back.

 

lefty

post #1597 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post


Temp corp housing, but too small after our beautiful SanFo apt. Already looking for another.

Washington was humbling. Had mere hours so taxied to the Lincoln Memorial, which was possibly the greatest monument to a man I've ever seen. The nuance of the sculpture, the overwhelming weight of the structure, and the power of the speeches will stick with me for a long time. I kept glancing back at the building as we made our was down the mall to the hill.

The Vietnam Vet memorial was equally powerful, but in a way that is much more subtle. As you descend into the piece the depth of the sacrifice of these men and women begins to creep up on you until you're buried along with them facing your reflection in the polished granite.

Then onto the WW2 tribute which is an utter disaster of a memorial/sculpture/tribute. A 12-year-old child could have done a better job. However, there were a few dozen aged soldiers hobbling to the place and time that defined them and possibly their nation. Bent, crippled and chair bound, these remnants of the greatest generation nonetheless stood tall one more time. Brought my wife and me to tears.

Needed an emotional break so hit the the Smith A&S Museum. Jesus Christ ... the Spirit of St Louis, Apollo 11 capsule, lunar module and a SS20 are in the lobby. 

That was pretty cool. Can't wait to go back.

lefty

i was considering stopping in DC this holiday season and you just sealed the deal for me with this. thanks.
post #1598 of 2698
post #1599 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I never know if you're serious or have a Catskillish Myron Cohen sense of humour.

Both, but I am being serious. The view looks very much like the one at my cousins old place in Chelsea.
post #1600 of 2698
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

i was considering stopping in DC this holiday season and you just sealed the deal for me with this. thanks.

 

Seriously worth it. Others can tell you how many days but I would guess at least two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

 

Man that makes me look like the asshole between the two cheeks of America. I've been called worse.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

Both, but I am being serious. The view looks very much like the one at my cousins old place in Chelsea.

 

24th and 7th. 17th floor facing east. Did he hide any pot?

 

lefty

post #1601 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post


Washington was humbling. Had mere hours so taxied to the Lincoln Memorial, which was possibly the greatest monument to a man I've ever seen. The nuance of the sculpture, the overwhelming weight of the structure, and the power of the speeches will stick with me for a long time. I kept glancing back at the building as we made our was down the mall to the hill.

The Vietnam Vet memorial was equally powerful, but in a way that is much more subtle. As you descend into the piece the depth of the sacrifice of these men and women begins to creep up on you until you're buried along with them facing your reflection in the polished granite.

Then onto the WW2 tribute which is an utter disaster of a memorial/sculpture/tribute. A 12-year-old child could have done a better job. However, there were a few dozen aged soldiers hobbling to the place and time that defined them and possibly their nation. Bent, crippled and chair bound, these remnants of the greatest generation nonetheless stood tall one more time. Brought my wife and me to tears.

Needed an emotional break so hit the the Smith A&S Museum. Jesus Christ ... the Spirit of St Louis, Apollo 11 capsule, lunar module and a SS20 are in the lobby. 

That was pretty cool. Can't wait to go back.

lefty

Sounds like your first time in DC.
post #1602 of 2698
Thread Starter 

Yes. And as an expat I didn't think it would affect me so.

 

This trip gave me a better appreciation of America.

 

lefty

post #1603 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post


Man that makes me look like the asshole between the two cheeks of America.

I rarely laugh out loud at things I read on the interweb...but that made me do it...

Welcome back to NYC...I am sure its lovely this time of year smile.gif
post #1604 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Yes. And as an expat I didn't think it would affect me so.

This trip gave me a better appreciation of America.

lefty
What is your country of origin lefty?
post #1605 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post

What is your country of origin lefty?

The Hyperborean Wastes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.