or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I hate San Francisco. - Page 74

post #1096 of 2698
Thread Starter 

So last night. I'm in the mission and finish a meeting early. It's 5:30. I see a neighbourhood place across the street and call my wife. She says she'll be right over. I cross the street and enter the empty restaurant. They open at 5:30. It's now 5:34. I ask for a table for two and the waiter asks if I have a reservation. I look around the empty place and say no.

 

Now, I think to myself, okay maybe he wants to check me in if I did made a reservation, so I ask if they take reservations. He says no. I'm now immune to SF restaurant stupidity (or I'm hooked on the abuse), so I soldier on. I point to a table and say, I'll take than one. He raises his eyebrows and says, let me check if it's available. He then retreats behind the bar where he conferes with his other waiters. They eye me up and down and whisper. Finally, he comes back to say, yes, you may sit there.

 

I sit. And as I do so I realise that the concrete floor is so pitched (former warehouse) that the table and chairs are on a severe angle. I pull out my road grade pencil and sure enough it rolls right off. I feel like I'm eating on the Titanic. I stand up and notice my wife pulling up outside. He rushes over. It is 5:45 and the restaurant is still empty. I say, Im going to sit at that table, pointing to a 4 top outside. He says, that for four people. I say, I'm a big eater.

 

I've never been to a place where they make you feel as if they're doing you a favour by letting you eat in their restaurants.

 

lefty 


Edited by lefty - 6/27/12 at 4:37pm
post #1097 of 2698

sounds like the San Francisco I know.  I love the place, but hate so much about it, it hurts.  I mostly just hate the people, so I cant blame the city for that.  I have lived in Oakland for the past 2 years, SF 8 years prior to Oakland.  Just the other day I met a friend and his daughter who is like 4 or 5 now.  Hadnt seen his daughter in 2 years.  They are one of those couples who never tell their daughter no, gave her their old iPhone at 2 years old kinda shit.  I lasted about 4 minutes around this brat before I had to bail.  San Francisco seems to attract that kind of person, and its taken a long time for me to come to terms with the fact that those are the kinds of people I fucking hate. 
 

post #1098 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

So last night. I'm in the mission and finish a meeting early. It's 5:30. I see a neighbourhood place across the street and call my wife. She says she'll be right over. I cross the street and enter the empty restaurant. They open at 5:30. It's now 5:34. I ask for a table for two and the waiter asks if I have a reservation. I look around the empty place and say no.

Now, I think to myself, okay maybe he wants to check me in if I did made a reservation, so I ask if they take reservations. He says no. I'm now immune to SF restaurant stupidity (or I'm hooked on the abuse), so I soldier on. I point to a table and say, I'll take than one. He raises his eyebrows and says, let me check if it's available. He then retreats behind the bar where he conferes with his other waiters. They eye me up and down and whisper. Finally, he comes back to say, yes, you may sit there.

I sit. And as I do so I realise that the concrete floor is so pitched (former warehouse) that the table and chairs are on a severe angle. I pull out my road grade pencil and sure enough it rolls right off. I feel like I'm eating on the Titanic. I stand up and notice my wife pulling up outside. He rushes over. It is 5:45 and the restaurant is still empty. I say, Im going to sit at that table, pointing to a 4 top outside. He says, that for four people. I say, I'm a big eater.

I've never been to a place where they make you feel as if they're doing you a favour by letting you eat in their restaurants.

lefty 

Well, what did you get? And did you eat all 4 entrees, or did you take some home? Or did your wife eat her fair share, in which case, go Mrs. Lefty.
post #1099 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

So last night. I'm in the mission and finish a meeting early. It's 5:30. I see a neighbourhood place across the street and call my wife. She says she'll be right over. I cross the street and enter the empty restaurant. They open at 5:30. It's now 5:34. I ask for a table for two and the waiter asks if I have a reservation. I look around the empty place and say no.

Now, I think to myself, okay maybe he wants to check me in if I did made a reservation, so I ask if they take reservations. He says no. I'm now immune to SF restaurant stupidity (or I'm hooked on the abuse), so I soldier on. I point to a table and say, I'll take than one. He raises his eyebrows and says, let me check if it's available. He then retreats behind the bar where he conferes with his other waiters. They eye me up and down and whisper. Finally, he comes back to say, yes, you may sit there.

I sit. And as I do so I realise that the concrete floor is so pitched (former warehouse) that the table and chairs are on a severe angle. I pull out my road grade pencil and sure enough it rolls right off. I feel like I'm eating on the Titanic. I stand up and notice my wife pulling up outside. He rushes over. It is 5:45 and the restaurant is still empty. I say, Im going to sit at that table, pointing to a 4 top outside. He says, that for four people. I say, I'm a big eater.

I've never been to a place where they make you feel as if they're doing you a favour by letting you eat in their restaurants.

lefty 

Name names please.
post #1100 of 2698
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Well, what did you get? And did you eat all 4 entrees, or did you take some home? Or did your wife eat her fair share, in which case, go Mrs. Lefty.

 

We shared 6 apps as the entrees didn't do it for us.

 

The leftette is saint for putting up with me, but she does have her evil side. Her favourite sport these days is New Yorkin' a cab out from under the nose of unsuspecting SFans.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Name names please.

 

I have to go Joe Friday on this.

 

lefty

post #1101 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

The hills here are a little crazy. I've parked perpendicular to the curb on some so steep that you have to make sure you have a solid hand on your door otherwise it will smash into the car next to you. To give you some perspective...

350x234px-LL-2a8927e1_steep-hills-of-san-francisco-1.jpeg

lefty

I decided it was a good idea to sprint up those on a morning job while hungover, with no food in me, and it was slick/misty/foggy out. Bad idea.
post #1102 of 2698
Wait. Wut? Lefty, the guy asked if you had a reservation and then told you the place does not take reservations? confused.gif
post #1103 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Name names please.

I have to go Joe Friday on this.

lefty

Yeah, I'm just looking for facts as well.
post #1104 of 2698
Thread Starter 

I attract these situations (or Ed Harris is fucking with my head), so the names are irrelevant as your experience will be no doubt yelp-worthy.

 

Could be the bammer weed, too.

 

 

lefty

post #1105 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Her favourite sport these days is New Yorkin' a cab out from under the nose of unsuspecting SFans.

Given how hard it is to find a cab downtown, it's every Leftette for herself. The supes need to tell the cab companies to take a hike and start selling more medallions.
post #1106 of 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Given how hard it is to find a cab downtown, it's every Leftette for herself. The supes need to tell the cab companies to take a hike and start selling more medallions.

That's why we have Uber. Small Timers.

https://www.uber.com/learn
post #1107 of 2698
I may value convenience, but nearly 100% premium over a cab? Not so much.
post #1108 of 2698

You are not alone.  I KNOW I hate San Francisco : )

 

I moved to the Castro / Mission area and I couldn't get over how ugly the city is up close and over priced.  It does have a few really cool landmarks which are always crowded with tourists.    Seattle is much more beautiful and has many more things to do that are affordable and easy to access.   Having a dog that requires lots of walks and being car-less I am outside walking and exploring all of the time.  You can see everything SFO has to offer in about a week.    There are really no cool neighborhoods to speak of compared to Seattle.  I couldn't help but notice how little green space there is and how most of the sidewalks are concreted in all the way up to the buildings.  The people are entitled and snobby overall thinking they have found "Shangri la"   The sidewalks stink, the people are always trying to convince you what a wonderful place it is to justify what they paid for their home or rent for their apartment.   Most so called adults live with several roommates just so they can live in the city.  I know several gay guys who sponge off old ladies and live in their spare bedrooms for a discounted rent to be their friends / renters.   Their is a very odd dynamic with the lifestyle in SFO.  I've been fortunate to live where I want to as a travel nurse and I have to say San Francisco is the least welcoming, dirtiest, smelliest, noisiest, snobbiest, most expensive city I've lived in.  It is romantic from afar but the mirage quickly evaporates once you live there.

post #1109 of 2698

I agree with you about the people.  I lived in San Francisco for three summers in the the early 80s as a teenager and it was a different place as far as the culture.  I've lived in all the major cities on the west coast looking for a place to live and when I arrived in Seattle on top of Capitol Hill, I knew this could be home.  I did try living in SFO again for a year because my now ex-partner insisted on living there and I was so very disappointed at how ugly the city was compared to Seattle.  We almost bought a fixer-upper "crack house" in the Mission for $1 million that wasn't even retro-fitted for earthquakes and needed to be gutted and renovated just to make it livable.    I dodged that bullet and backed out of wasting my money on a dump and returned home by myself.  The ex now lives with an elderly lonely lady he calls his best friend since she hardly charges him any rent in a hip area just around the corner from the trendy little grocer "Buy rite" next to Dolores park. 

post #1110 of 2698

you should visit Seattle!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I think I hate San Francisco.