or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › has anyone ever eaten brains?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

has anyone ever eaten brains? - Page 2

post #16 of 69
I've eaten rabbit brain before. It did not make me any smarter.
post #17 of 69
Brains of creatures from the sea are quite common in Asian cuisines. Calf brain is good, if done well and once you get over the idea of it and decide you're willing to take the (very small) risk of eating deformed prions. Racine's is good.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Racine's is good.

Funny I was just listening to the music from The Untouchables.

Jon.

P.S. Was that too John April?
post #19 of 69
Driving a car is much more dangerous than eating prions.
post #20 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Brains of creatures from the sea are quite common in Asian cuisines. Calf brain is good, if done well and once you get over the idea of it and decide you're willing to take the (very small) risk of eating deformed prions. Racine's is good.

Killjoy. Honestly though, I hadn't even thought of that. And i just found out it's banned in canada anyway. I guess what I've seen in supermarkets was lamb brain or something... I never really looked cause I always thought it was gross, but hey, I'll try anything (except fish) once :P
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Racine's is good.
Racine's everything is good.
post #22 of 69
they were a regular and a personally savored fare in our household when i was young- calf brains. usually fried with scrambled eggs but also braised. i also like the middle eastern way of cooking them, though i'm not sure what its called. crustacean brains are tasty too. but i've read somewhere brains have such a high fat content that its better to avoid them.
post #23 of 69
Cows' brains are used in several moroccan recipes. One of the most popular has little brain pieces cooked in a thick fried quiche/omelette dish along with potatoes, carrots, peas... My grandmother, and mother-in-law too, have made it before (though not in a very long time) and it's not bad. They usually make the dish without brains these days. Brains are a delicacy and can also be served grilled or in a stew.

I prefer grilled sweetbreads and heart Cow's heart on the grill is very tasty with a chewy texture and gamy taste. Spleen is delicious when done right. Stuffed with liver and fat, cut in slices and grilled and served with a spicy hot sauce - yummy. My grandmother also used to make tripe but I never liked that.
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72

I prefer grilled sweetbreads and heart Cow's heart on the grill is very tasty with a chewy texture and gamy taste. Spleen is delicious when done right. Stuffed with liver and fat, cut in slices and grilled and served with a spicy hot sauce - yummy. My grandmother also used to make tripe but I never liked that.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72
Cows' brains are used in several moroccan recipes. One of the most popular has little brain pieces cooked in a thick fried quiche/omelette dish along with potatoes, carrots, peas... My grandmother, and mother-in-law too, have made it before (though not in a very long time) and it's not bad. They usually make the dish without brains these days. Brains are a delicacy and can also be served grilled or in a stew. I prefer grilled sweetbreads and heart Cow's heart on the grill is very tasty with a chewy texture and gamy taste. Spleen is delicious when done right. Stuffed with liver and fat, cut in slices and grilled and served with a spicy hot sauce - yummy. My grandmother also used to make tripe but I never liked that.
Have you tried pig's heart? It has a rich-like texture.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Have you tried pig's heart?

It has a rich-like texture.

ox tongue, braised spanish style is also good. as is:
-fresh pig's kidney braised in garlic, ginger, spring onions, soy sauce and chinese wine
- fresh pig's liver done the same way
- grilled chicken gizzard
- pig's brain, nose, ear cartilage washed in vinegar and pan fried
- duck's tongue
- the bone marrow ala osso bucco
post #27 of 69
A friend of mine who is fluent in Chinese and has travelled extensively in China once described eating mule lung. That is the strangest thing I've ever heard of eating. He claims it was really delicious.
post #28 of 69
I once ate brains -- by accident. I ordered them at a business lunch in Spain when I mistook sesos (brains) for setas (mushrooms) on the hand-written menu. I couldn´t back out; had to eat them . Though I tried to set aside any prejudice, I didn´t like either the texture or the taste.
post #29 of 69
Lamb's brains pan fried with pancetta, a little garlic and a good olive oil. You can also crumb them... oh there's many ways.
post #30 of 69
I've had sheep's testicles marinated in sour milk (it's an Icelandic speciality), and sheep's face several times (there's no other way of describing it, - it's half a skull, split lengthwise, and you eat the jaw, temple and eye muscles). The sheep's balls were much like kidneys, and sheep's face is like any grilled lamb.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › has anyone ever eaten brains?