or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › HR Depts Suck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HR Depts Suck - Page 3

post #31 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smith View Post
That's why I don't apply through HR if I can help it.

I was trying to avoid the HR Dept, but they stuck their head where it didn't belong. Now I'm pretty sure I'm fucked and the position will be filled by the time I am allowed by HR to interview for it.
post #32 of 62
Can't get your VP to have VP-HR handle it? I was once in a similar position (not where I thought I had somethign to worry about though) and it was, for the most part, handled from the top down.
post #33 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Can't get your VP to have VP-HR handle it? I was once in a similar position (not where I thought I had somethign to worry about though) and it was, for the most part, handled from the top down.

I was thinking about that, especially since I have the blessing of my superior and his superior above him. I am unsure however, if I should send an email, call, or try to book an appointment with the SVP... and exactly how I am going to re-broach the subject with him (balancing the fine line between being ambitious and eager and overbearing).
post #34 of 62
Can you call his secretary to find a moment that he's free and just go to him in person, sans appointment?
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I was thinking about that, especially since I have the blessing of my superior and his superior above him. I am unsure however, if I should send an email, call, or try to book an appointment with the SVP... and exactly how I am going to re-broach the subject with him (balancing the fine line between being ambitious and eager and overbearing).

Sit down with him in person and discuss it.
post #36 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Can you call his secretary to find a moment that he's free and just go to him in person, sans appointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
Sit down with him in person and discuss it.

I popped in randomly in his office last Thursday at the start of this, I don't know which is the best way to gt an appointment so I can talk to him to hopefully end this nonesense.
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Super long story short:

SVP is seriously considering me for a position I am perfect for. HR is giving me the runaround because they weren't involved in the decision. HR is a total detriment.

if HR wasn't involved, everybody would be hired in as a VP and new managing directors would rain from the sky every January. That would be a detriment to the company, too. I work a fair amount with HR/Recruiting, and some of the proposals I've seen from managers are incredibly misguided, HR was right to question being omitted from any decision that involved the company's funding being used without review because "an SVP" thought it was right.
post #38 of 62
Jon, I didn't know that Sears had such an inefficient HR department.
post #39 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Jon, I didn't know that Sears had such an inefficient HR department.
Sears doesn't sell Kiton.
post #40 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
if HR wasn't involved, everybody would be hired in as a VP and new managing directors would rain from the sky every January. That would be a detriment to the company, too. I work a fair amount with HR/Recruiting, and some of the proposals I've seen from managers are incredibly misguided, HR was right to question being omitted from any decision that involved the company's funding being used without review because "an SVP" thought it was right.
No one is giving me a position outright... and the position is available, they aren't creating it for me. HR from my division won't let speak to HR Corporate, to interview! They are denying me the chance to interview for no reason at all. Actually the reason the HR Director mentioned is nonsense and has been agreed upon that it is so by my bosses' boss (who has no problem allowing me interview, btw). It's one thing to interview and not get the job, its another thing altogether to not be allowed to interview at all.
post #41 of 62
Read this: http://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Conf.../dp/0312337361 HR isn't there to help employees.
post #42 of 62
This is why I love working in small companies. The bad HR people get noticed by the heads faster. As for automatic resume filters...makes me think that those companies don't think about 'who' they're hiring but 'what' they're hiring.
post #43 of 62
The HR people at my company I think are absolutely useless...they are a complete waste of space and resources. HR at my company doesn't get involved in recruiting/hiring...we have a separate team for that. Nor do they deal with benefits...we have the benefits team for that as well. The 2 HR people at my site just sit in their offices all day on the internet, dating sites, facebooks, etc...except for when they go out for their daily 2 hour lunches.
post #44 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmt View Post
Read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Conf.../dp/0312337361

HR isn't there to help employees.

They aren't there to help companies either.
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmt View Post
Read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Conf.../dp/0312337361

HR isn't there to help employees.

Just took a look at the amazon page. This looks like a great resource for figuring out what companies to avoid going to work for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › HR Depts Suck