or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › HR Depts Suck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HR Depts Suck

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a shit about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves fully in control.
post #2 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a shit about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves full in control.

What happened Jon?
post #3 of 62
I remember this one time I applied for some shitty porter position at a kitchen and the HR broad literally asks me things like "what are your hobbies?" As if those kind of questions were going to be a good indicator of how I would do cleaning mats and fucking steam tables.
post #4 of 62
That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them.

HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved
post #5 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them. HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved
Do you work in HR? I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.
post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smith View Post
Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

This is truth
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smith View Post
Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.

I've seen your posts you are an HR rat [/butter
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved
HR is not all bad, but it deserves most of its bad rap, IMO.
post #10 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
What happened Jon?
Super long story short: SVP is seriously considering me for a position I am perfect for. HR is giving me the runaround because they weren't involved in the decision. HR is a total detriment.
post #11 of 62
I really don't see any reason for HR. After years of seeing what they do, I think most companies would be better off just hiring temps to file the paperwork and do the hiring.

They're useless when dealing with employee issues and I've had them make things much worse after they got involved.

HR has fucked me over so many times and I've got no love for them whatsoever...
post #12 of 62
Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.
post #13 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.

In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.
post #14 of 62
Who's gonna do payroll? I know for a fact GM's, controllers, and managers hate doing that shit.
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.

No, the rules exist because some employee before you did something that was against the law or that lowered the company's productivity and profitability. Then, upper management or legal told HR to make sure it doesn't happen again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › HR Depts Suck